Get Back

Discussion in 'Conversations About Good Music' started by Zenarcist, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

The way I interpreted it, they were still trying to work out the song arrangement when George kept on playing his flowery embellishments and it was putting Paul off, so he asked him to wait until the song outline was finished, and then he could add his parts anyway he wanted. I'm with Paul on this one, as he had his own methodology and the song writing was still in progress :)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  2. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

The fact is John & Paul had proven success with a high turn out rate. George had 1 or 2 successful charting songs at that point. I don't know why people feel so bad for George. They had a brand to maintain. Even George Martin & Geoff Emerick are known to have said George wasn't a very confident player in the studio. Sure George wrote Something & Here Comes The Sun. But take an honest look at the Beatle catalogue. Do you really believe they would have had as much success if they allowed George to fill albums with that Hare Krishna garbage?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. F.L.O.W.

F.L.O.W. Producer

Yeah, but he almost plays the victim I think?
    And after so many years together, and dynamics we don't know of, he was always the youngest and maybe the dynamic you mention evolved over time.
    So if he plays the victim, Paul at least would take the opposite role subconsciously.
    I actually know some of George's Hare Krishna mates from the time. They are around 70+ now.
    You recall when George says to Paul "No, you don't wind me up anymore", or something to that effect?
    Well George was actually living a slight lie to himself with his new found spirituality.
    And the guys knew it and didn't like it, and even George's school friend turned roady turned Apple Corps CEO after "Mr. Epstein" died, Tony Bramwell, said their relationship changed after George got into Krishna.
    But he also eventually got into coke as much as he got into Krishna.
    So I don't understand why I perceived that he was undermining himself in the first docu.
    I guess that is how the dynamic became, you know?
    Because if he had 'seen the light' in any way whatsoever, like I'm sure John had at this time, he would have been a more positive person.
    I mean, by this time they all had made enough to never have to worry or work again.
    He even brought in his own £10k 8 track! In 1969!
    So what was bringing him down?
    It's all very interesting to me, and proving a lot of what I have heard from various personnel over the years.

The sudden manifestation of Get Back ?
    That was amazing! phew!

4. F.L.O.W.

F.L.O.W. Producer

When John says "yeah, yeah. Run along now sonny! We're a rock band". haha.

5. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I think the last straw was when George kept going on about how Eric Clapton does things, while they were trying to finish their own song!

6. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

I always got hypocritical vibes from George's enlightened Beatle shtick. Granted, he never called himself that, but he was the one writing love songs to God (Long Long Long), yet he always came off as an irritable, passive aggressive, loudmouth type, especially after supposedly having found God.

John definitely saw the light at some point, as evidenced by his songs circa 66-67, but it didn't necessarily become a more positive person either. Just as his LSD phase ended (White Album era) he started using heroin. Years later, during his lost weekend, he was a raging alcoholic. Heck, he even talked shit about his acid days, saying the whole ego dissolution trip was a waste of time.

Yet his lyrics were always head and shoulders more spiritual than George's.

7. F.L.O.W.

F.L.O.W. Producer

Yeah, I heard that audio. Said he did 1000's of trips, I think?

Has anybody watched Ringo's Masterclass video yet?
    I got feels off the advert! And his playing was tight AF!

8. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Thanks for everyone's input. I think he wanted to jam on the guitar more like Clapton did. With those classic leads. Yes I don't think it would have fit into the Beatles, but maybe he wanted to take the band to a new level. I am not saying Paul was wrong either just staying that is what I might be thinking.

9. F.L.O.W.

F.L.O.W. Producer

"Jazz"!
    And in context, John and Paul were both right saying that. But they could see that George was enamoured and couldn't see that, so they left it. Smiling.
    George was in adoration of Eric and was blinded by it.
    George was younger and still searching for himself through others a bit.
    Unlike John and Paul. Or Ringo.

10. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I think it's called Blues.. But either way, they felt very bad he quit and wanted him to remain in the band that was loyalty.
    I respect that a lot from Paul, John and Ringo.

Ringo was the quietest one.

11. triggerflipper

I don't know about the number of trips. He tried acid for the first time in 1965, and took it pretty regularly (as regular as you can with tolerance setting in) through 1966 and 67. Even if he took every day which, even with astronomical amounts, would lose it's potency because of tolerance, that would be a thousand trips.

12. F.L.O.W.

F.L.O.W. Producer

Well, John and Paul called what Eric does "Jazz" to George, which is what I was referring to.
    And in context of The Beatles, I can see what they mean.

13. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

And Clapton was being lined up as George's replacement according to John.

14. F.L.O.W.

F.L.O.W. Producer

@triggerflipper @4.14 regards "1000's".
    There's still a bit of audio missing though, from another interview. Which I think you referred to.

15. triggerflipper

I hear a "thousand trips", which, though a bit overstated, might be close to truth.

16. FrankPig

FrankPig Platinum Record

Despite having a deadline of just over 2 weeks to write and rehearse 14 songs (!) for the initial idea of a recorded live TV special, they spent a surprising amount of time taking the piss out of themselves, jamming rock and roll standards, gurning to the camera and goofing around making each other laugh. Particularly liked Paul jamming bass chords and coming up with the beginnings of Get Back in Twickenham. Brilliant viewing.

17. triggerflipper

Amazing moment when Paul comes up with Get Back on the spot. He wrote the meat of the song in a short time when John wasn't there.

Then John shows up with a magazine. He was just taking a shit :rofl::rofl:

18. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

See, I never heard it like that, I think you will find that was just some scouse humour from John. We are a sarcastic bunch.

19. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Maybe .. but the words did come out of his mouth :rofl:

20. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual