Genre-Shaping Electronic Music

Discussion in 'Conversations About Good Music' started by Retrolize77, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

There are many classics in every genre of electronic music , but I would like to see a summery of some of the most influential and even more important for me most outstanding / unprecedented pieces of music bringing the genre to new heights.
    While surfin the net, here n there I stumble over good recommendations/reviews and I enjoy the little stories of personal connection to a special song / album alot, so I will quote some of those, contribute if u like it as I do ✌️

Edit: I like to see stuff posted that include not only groundbreaking material, but the better be accompanied by a good review or background info/personal stories that connect you to a certain tune/album, cause for me that’s the interesting part!
    For my part , i just post stuff i feel a grown connection to over the years , I won’t post stuff just because I read about in wiki /discogs or whereever.
    Keep it flowin ✌️

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  3. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Kraftwerk, Trans-Europe Express(1977)

Thanks to continental drift, Americans must cross an ocean to experience the luxury of trans-European travel. In 1977, Germany’s robot-pop manufacturers, Kraftwerk (translation: “power station”), celebrated these cross-country jaunts with their landmark release, Trans-Europe Express Ripe with unlikely hooks and hypnotic, minimalist arrangements, tracks like the bright, crisp “Europe Endless” and the existential “The Hall of Mirrors,” were (and are) the sound of the future, employing sounds similar to the video games and sci-fi films of the era and informing an entire generation of music-makers. T.E.E.’s influence in unprecedented, reaching as wide as rock (Radiohead’s Kid A), hip-hop (Afrika Bambaataa’s classic “Planet Rock,” Jay Dee’s recent “Big Booty Express”), and pop (Madonna’s Drowned World Tour, which incorporated samples of “Metal on Metal”). Kraftwerk’s meditative T.E.E. is a sonic poem to Europe, a continent that has proven, time and again, to be the birthplace of musical innovation and, well, the Eurorail. Other titles mentioned by this artist: Man Machine, Computer World, and Autobahn.

Source: https://www.slantmagazine.com/featu...test-electronic-albums-of-the-20th-century/P0

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  4. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

'Ni-Ten-Ichi-Ryu' is certainly the KILLA track to hear on this 12"... In fact, for me, it represented the pinnacle of Photek's (a.k.a. Rupert Parks') programming abilities, showing why his cutting edge sound continually broke through barriers of what Drum & Bass could be time and again. No one came close to making beats like these... Why, we may never know. Perhaps no one was as daring as Parks was... Maybe it was for fear of never quite getting it as far-out sounding as Parks had, and thereby being shredded to pieces by his ferocious creations, most of which (I remember reading somewhere) were fuelled by a habit of extended waking hours (36 hours awake and then 12 hours of sleep). Who else could get near these razor-sharp arrangements? Not many. Certainly the style of his creations cut to the heart of Drum & Bass like nothing else had before.

I first remember hearing this track down at TEMPO... When it came on, we totally stood in awe. When Grooverider had dropped it, it had sliced through the club like a Ronin might slice through his enemy... Our minds cleaved apart as though a Japanese folded steel blade had passed through us. Rewind once... Rewind twice... Rewind a third time... We went wild for it! All those usual fresh rhythmic patterns that were flooding in from new blood like John B and other young producers, were cut down to size when set against the complexity of this Akira Kurosawa tinged vision that instilled a type of tension in one that you'd expect only to get at an Iaido match.

TEMPO, which was - at the time - being held in the Velvet Rooms on Tottenham Court Road, sort of continued on from where SPEED left off. However, despite being put together by Grooverider and Fabio, it never really took off like SPEED did. Still, there were moments down there that saw some great evolutions in the form i.e. tracks like Matrix's "Mute" and "Junk", along with Optical's "Grey Odyssey", all of which rumbled the dance floor with satisfaction... However, the push to really expand and go beyond what was being done in Drum & Bass had already happened. To go beyond this would be to leave Drum & Bass behind altogether. Saying that, when Grooverider spun this track down there, you felt as though you were actually back at SPEED, at the cutting edge of Drum & Bass once again... Hearing things that you never imagined were possible. For me, this track almost left Drum & Bass behind. It was this daring of Photek's that, when put in context of all the other tunes, shows how far beyond anything Drum & Bass it actually went.

Released on a Virgin sub-label, Science, (which I believe Photek setup after Virgin signed him) most of the tracks released on this imprint never really amounted to much. But perhaps that's what happens when you create something as great as this.

Certainly this track has to be heard to be believed... But it has to be kept in context too... I've played it to people who never really got into Drum & Bass and many just didn't get it. If you can follow most of the music that was coming out between 1995 and 1997, you'll see exactly why this set the standard.

Definitely a 5/5!

Source: https://www.discogs.com/de/master/73109-Ni-Ten-Ichi-Ryu/reviews

ListenAndLearned
    Let me explain something.. There is something almost magical about the way he juggles the groove here, he keeps you suspended and rolling with precision, its a constant euphoria. Each fill and layer compliments that little moment in the groove to perfection, it just feels like genius, mostly because as a producer myself and having listened to so many artists over the years in all genres of music, i seriously cannot fathom how somebody could conciously do that. And i know he is doing it conciously because its that precise moment and time in the groove and bar that he plays with, sometimes chopping it, sometimes layering it with a sound that emulates the same groove. Its a phenomenal piece of work. I cannot find another like it. Everytime i hear this beat, and i've been listening since it was released, it just doesn't grow old, the beat, groove, rhythmn is perfect. I envy the man for it. I wish i was clever enough to of made this. You have to have a certain understanding of groove and trickery.

Source:

5. electriclash

electriclash Guest

[​IMG]

6. electriclash

electriclash Guest

7. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. filtersweep