General Studio-Related Converstaions

Discussion in 'Studio' started by SAiNT, Jun 8, 2011.

1. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

this thread has been split from John's topic:
    Code:
    http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/19-my-studio/

okay, then the simplest thing you can do is to get 4-6 white pages (yellow pages will do just as well :wink:) and put them under your monitors (don't forget about twitters level).
    what this also will do, is absorb some vibrations (that's why manufactures put those tiny rubber knobs under speakers). it won't fix a lot - speakers should never be on the desk anyway, but it will make a difference.
    [​IMG]

there was i time when i had to use the same solution:
    [​IMG]
    as you can see, i've wrapped my white pages into some dark piece of crap for the fancier look :dancing:

3. ionutz

ionutz Newbie

I have the Auralex pads under the monitors like here

[​IMG]

It would be completely ridiculous had I not had those I agree lol!

4. SAiNT

to tell you the truth, tests show a very small difference with auralex pads :sad:
    so my solution was more about positioning your monitors height.

5. ionutz

ionutz Newbie

ah :[

Well height-wise the tweeters are on my ear level so that should be ok...

6. SAiNT

no-no, it's still a good purchase for the price *yes*
    if my memory not fails me, they should cost around 15$..

i just can't say it's "vital".. that's what i meant :wink:

7. ionutz

ionutz Newbie

blah, over here at Guitar Center which is a pretty shit store (having that they made me wait 1 month and a half for my replacement BX8a driver) they were like... $30-40 :sad:

8. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

@ SAiNT

The point with the 20 cm minimum is written in the manual of my monitors... but I agree with you, that more is better, of course.
    Unfortunately, I don't have the 20 cm to the back wall myself... but at least to the side wall. But at least my monitors have the holes for bass reflex at the front, that reduces the problem a little (!).

My father made small stands for the monitors for me (see attachment). Aditionally, I put small pieces of felt (like you use for chairs) on the bottom of the monitors and the stands. I don't know if all this is enough for absorption (I guess not), but it's certainly better than putting the speakers directly on the desk, and it gives me the right height for them.
    Inside the stand you can see my small 10€ Logitech crap "control monitors" :bow:
    Useful for checking if you can still hear anything of the bass, for example, or if the vocals sit right in the mix.

Here you can find some useful information about correct placement of monitors:
    http://www.genelec.com/documents/other/Step-by-Step_Int.pdf
    http://www.genelec.com/faq/acoustical/not-enough-bass/

@ John C.

Yes, I like the AT 4040, altough I don't have any comparisons to Neumanns, for example.
    I had an AT 4047 as well, wich is twice the price of the AT 4040, but sold it, because the AT 4040 sounds clearer and with more detail for me.

Attached Files:

9. geiar

geiar Noisemaker

@ gully.. why are your monitors toed in? This expedient is usually done only if the monitors are too far apart from each other...

Did you know that.. if you have the "usual" correct triangle distance between monitors and listening position, toeing in the monitors can/will (most likely) heavily reduce the stereo spread, lower the sense of space between instruments, reduce the perceived reverb sound at extreme left/right, congest middle/centre focus and increase perceived volume of centre stage.. do you really need to toe them in?

10. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

You mean, why they are angled at me?

Hm, actually everywhere I have read, that nearfield monitors (which mine are) should be angled directly to the listener.
    Because that is how you can sit in the "sweet spot", which is far smaller with nearfield monitors than with midfield, or even Hi-Fi speakers.
    Actually you are the first one from whom I hear that it shouldn't be done like this.

Any other opinions on this one?

11. ionutz

ionutz Newbie

When I have a little bit of time on my hands I will test your theories gentlemen!

12. SAiNT

good thinking! you guys can easily do these things together, in a garage, and save like 50% with even better end-results.

felt... yeah, should do fine.
    but, next time you pass a furniture store, get inside and buy a pack of those sticky rubber knobs.
    they are very useful, not only with your speakers.

well, even though your stands looks nicer, good old white pages absorb vibrations very, very good *yes*

absolutely! everything makes difference when it comes to acoustics!

sometimes i think of getting one of those myself... :))

indeed, that's a must! many professional sound engineers using same technique *yes*

the known old idealist speaking in me again :)) - to be absolutely 100% exact, left monitor should be directed to your right ear, right monitor - to your left ear.
    that's so called perfect positioning (sweet spot)

if 80% of the world having their speakers 1 meter away from each other, then i'll have to master my tracks with my monitors 1 meter away from each other :sad:

13. ionutz

ionutz Newbie

I angled the monitros towards me - [spelling mistake intended] and there's a slight difference, nothing huge though, I guess in a different setting it might sound better but it hasn't affected my mixdown for my latest track at all, it sounds better! So that would mean that if I work with them the way they were before and I make a mixdown sound amazing, it's gonna sound perfect when I angle the monitros towards me haha

14. geiar

geiar Noisemaker

Although I am a strong minded person, with strong beliefs and all, I still like to take note of what others say and check it out.

So I did my own research into the "best monitors placemement" issue and after intense studying I have come to the conclusion that Gulliver and Saints are utterly RIGHT about toeing the monitors in.
    I was wrong!
    Here is a wonderful video where the 12 best tips for monitors placement are explained. Hope you'll find it as informative as I did. http://vimeo.com/24589575

So thank you all for giving me a reason to doubt my own convinctions.
    I'll toe my monitors in as soon as I finish writing this....

15. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

Very nice and interesting video indeed, thanks for the link.
    (Altough the guy seems to have problems with speaking sometimes :) )

So "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" is not true in your case? Great! :wink:
    (Did I just call you an old dog? No offence meant :hug: )

I don't understand the point, why the twitters of the monitors shouldn't be exactly in the middle of the height of the room.
    What problems can occur because of this?

@ SAiNT

Left monitor to right ear? Are you sure?
    Not left to left, right to right?

16. SAiNT

John C.
    think of it this way: each single improvement will make your mix 20% better. :sad:

JayAr
    awesome!!! please post this link into another topic under this forum! *yes*

Gulliver
    i don't think you should bother about that too much... it's just a matter of making things perfect and balanced.

yep, that's correct *yes*
    your left speaker should still reach your right ear.
    it's a good setup, but i can't say it's vital though.. :wink:

17. ionutz

ionutz Newbie

@SAiNT but sound is a physical wave.. when left speaker wave crosses right speaker wave they deflect off each other and i would believe the panning in your head is then off...

18. SAiNT

good thinking.
    it wasn't my idea actually, but it does a good job for me and i prefer keeping my monitors position this way.
    i guess it's something you have to figure out for you own *yes*

19. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

Hmmmm....

Still unsure. If you listen with headphones, your left ear hears only the left channel, and your right ear the right channel only.

20. SAiNT

maybe that's one of the reasons you shouldn't do mastering in headphones :rofl: :))))
    :mates:

21. Shifta

Shifta Newbie

hey i was wondering if u can help me position my monitors if i take a picture and upload it ..