General MIDI in 2015

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by Drixx, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Drixx

Drixx Newbie

Hello everyone!

I stumbled upon some old files produced with NI Bandstand in an old PC I had...

That makes me wonder: What people use nowadays to play/produce GM files?

...I wouldn't want to assign a virtual instrument for each track of my file.....just want something that can reproduce it right away, but with the best quality possible.

Thanks for your enlightenment :)

Cheers

Drixx

3. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

What about EWQL Goliath or Colossus? Those might work well. :wink:

4. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

There are few multi-timbral solutions. Because it needs to load all GM instruments at the same time.
    Read this :wink:
    GM links

5. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

If software, then maybe Yamaha's MidRadio Player. The standalone versions (Win / OS X) are Japanese only, but still rather simple to use (it's just a player with a few buttons...).

midradio_player_macv65big.jpg

The unofficial VSTi port is called "S-YXG2006LE". You can still find it around. Just google it.

6. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Drixx,

The suggestions stated by 'Andrew' are GREAT ! :thumbsup:
    Personally, I use 'East West Quantum Leap COLOSSUS' since a while now with Great results (at my taste, of course !)... *yes*

And what about using separate (different) Libraries/Sounds that try to replicate, and in some cases, to enhance (more or less) the 'GM MIDI Standard Instruments' ?

A few time ago, one of our Members (but also a GREAT Creator of 'Kontakt' Instruments !!! :wink: ) aka 'bigcat Instruments', has launched an Article within this Forum to collect the best Libraries/Sounds found all around, to replicate the '128 GM MIDI Standard Instruments'... *yes*

It could worth for you to look at this Article and all the suggested Libraries/Sounds, you never know... and you can perhaps even find better sounding Instruments that these provided within 'regular' (or 'classic') 'GM MIDI Soundsets'. *yes*

'Free GM Soundbank Sounds'
    Simply 'Click' on 'Show' (at the right of 'Spoiler'), and you'll get an exhaustive 'scrolling Menu' with all these Soundbanks and/or Sounds (according to the official 128 GM Sounds).

Good quest ! :wink:

7. scottymacg5

scottymacg5 Newbie

Just wondering.... I purchased a bunch of GM Midi stuff and sound fonts back in 1998 from "The soundfont Site", they have been sitting in a drawer in my old desk for years... does anyone have any interest or need for these? I could easily UL them if there would be any takers.

8. noise.maker

noise.maker Platinum Record

Some soundfonts here: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=2b6dbe2d69541a1c&id=2B6DBE2D69541A1C%2119663
    Other option is the 'old' Hypersonic.I had great results back in time.

9. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    What about the old Roland SoundCanvas? Back in the day it was a huge improvement over standard midi sounds. Has anything like this surfaced to play standard midi files on Mac or PC right from the core audio/asio driver?

10. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

here's a free one that i sue to play gm midi files: http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth

there are several choices of soundfonts to use with this. one of them is over 1.5 gigabytes. gm midi files will never sound as good as a song that you create in a daw where you carefully select each instrument. but this player can get you pretty decent results.

11. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Drixx,

As I was talking you, im my previous Comment, about 'bigcat Instruments'... well, a kind of (perfect) 'synchro' has been done with that Brother's Site aka 'AudioZ' !!! *yes* :rofl:

If you actually 'jump' on there, you'll find a 'freshly' posted Article which contains not less than 10 GB (!!!) of Instruments to use in place (or to enhance) of the '128 GM MIDI Standard Instruments'... *yes*

'Bigcat GM Midi Instruments KONTAKT'

As these are provided in 'Kontakt' Format, you guess... use a 'Kontakt' Engine to get them playable. (These must be available as Kontakt 'Monolith' Instruments, but I'm not sure of this fact :dunno: ).

12. Drixx

Drixx Newbie

Thanks guys....I tried the Colossus and it worked very well....just got curious about the Big Cat instruments for Kontakt...I'll post something when I get to experiment with them....
    Thanks again for the tips !!! As always, you guys are very helpful!

Cheers!

Drixx