Gene Simmons: Hip Hop Doesn't Belong in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by NYCGRIFF, Apr 11, 2016.

?

Does Hip Hop Music Belong In The "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame?

1. Agree

35.3%
  2. Disagree

38.8%
  3. Don't Give A Damn

25.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

this is funny to read on so many levels :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  2. flexallnight

flexallnight Member

if thats what you got from what i wrote then the school system failed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  3. 30hz

30hz Producer

4. Antikythera Mechanism

Antikythera Mechanism Ultrasonic

A true "rocker" doesn't give a f**k a Hall of fame, that's for pussies.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • List
  5. Bill Vkerchi?

Bill Vkerchi? Kapellmeister

Those guys are the origins of rock'n'roll, and the term rock'n'roll is not quite the same as "rock". Hip hop acts have very little to do with rock'n'roll movement except for maybe Beastie Boys which i don't mind including in. P.s. Kiss suck. P.p.s Start Hip-hop hall of fame. P.p.p.s Noone really cares about this.

6. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

:thanks:

7. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

The term, "Rock and Roll" is largely attributed to the late Cleveland disk jockey, Alan Freed, in the 1950's. If anyone wants to learn more about this bit of American history, simply Google the information. Obviously, the initial question I posed (based upon many of the responses here) opens up some age-old arguments. Such as, what is the true definition of "Rock and Roll"? Or, was it originally "Black Music"? Or, was the term itself first coined in the 1800's by European descendants? If you want to start a "dawg-ass" argument about the origins of American music, entertain the notion of any of those questions. Truth be told, so-called "American Music" (Jazz, Blues, Rock "n" Roll, Dixieland, etc.) is an amalgamation of International influences. From Africa to the Europe. Throughout American music history these various styles have crisscrossed and merged (from a music perspective) into some unlikely and oftentimes 'bizarre' incarnations. As a Jazz musician, I have personally been fascinated by the tumultuous evolution of America's music history. Hundreds (if not thousands) of books have been written about this subject. Personally, I always try to maintain an open mind -- regardless of the source. That includes questions about "Rock" vs "Rock and Roll". Just my two cents...

8. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

you made me smile, both genre's require talent. most rock 'n roll artist know nothing about song structure, can only 'grasp' their own instrument, can only steal riffs chords and rhythms they practiced from other songs.
    And then projecting their own incompetence to play that single f%$#ng instrument as being unique and having style.

I rather have talented producers/rappers to work with, preferably a duo who really are inventing a new kind of wheel instead of the next band full of nitwits that should've stayed a cover-band.....

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Actually the whole post is built upon the fallacy of the question first posed by the OP. I'm not nitpicking, as the choices need to be yes, no, maybe or I really couldn't give a shit. The way it is framed makes no sense given the supplied answers. Just saying. I thought that by now someone would have caught it.

10. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

get a grip my dears
    look , it's just some clique that is there to accommodate the tastes of a select few.
    i am sure most musicians couldn't give a fuck whether they are in it or not.
    it's just a bunch of grippers being elitist about music that has had its day. and of course, we get the guitar snobs who hold there noses up at electronic stuff esp. put em all on a bus and push it off a cliff.

11. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

i like this so let us start the list of rules

1. Hip Hop - No Entry
    2. If you wear spandex - No Entry

you guys add more rules to the list i just think spandex and make up does not belong in the rock and roll hall of fame

12. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

Hmmm... I disagree. The question (as it were) is built on a statement made by Simmons. Basically, either you agree, disagree, or the third choice. Mr. Simmons' statement has caused quite a fervor among those in the professional music world, as well as music listeners and devotees in general. If you examine this whole business about "Rock and Roll"; what it is or what it is not, there is a huge underbelly of cultural shit that Simmons' pronouncement implies. And, it runs the gamut of America's checkered social past. Without being overly implicit, the statement and subsequent responses, are loaded with a lot of America's historical baggage as it relates to so-called black music and white music. Definitions (some on target, and others totally missing the mark) abound and get get carelessly tossed all over the place. The posed question brings out a whole bunch of 'implied' assumptions. As far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing. Let's bring it all out into the open.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  13. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

Will the Beatles and Stones and Elvis be inducted into the Hip Hop/Rap HOF?

14. nycdl

nycdl Kapellmeister

I see both sides of this for sure. When I saw the thread, first thing came to mind was Run DMC with Aerosmith Walk This Way, Beastie Boys . I think Rock and Roll had an incredible influence of all genres of music. Nas and many of the greats heavy Rock N Roll influence. It seems once again divide and conquer rules the day. Let's all focus on subdividing everything instead of letting music be an umbrella to shield us from bullshit. Adding Hip Hop artists doesn't take away from the honoring Rock and Roll, with that said maybe there should be a Hip Hop Hall of Fame, especially for the unsung heroes of Hip Hop You could probably get some corporate dollars from some of the Music Companies that were involved in the inception of hip hop. Akai, Roland , Emu , etc. Just a thought. I don't think it's a subject worth getting nasty about with people though, I respect Gene Simmons but he doesn't have the discography behind him to make up the rules.

15. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

Hip Hop Honours Public Enemy & Anthrax - Bring the Noise

notice the crowd is happy, no angry old black guy in womens clothing complain about anthrax at the hip hop honours awards

Turn it up!

16. The question was asked by the OP based on his/her own query, seemingly to get a feel for the masses here at AS, hence the poll. Simmons is very direct concerning his sentiment and never posed a question, but rather has stated his adamant opposition to welcome the genre of Hip Hop into the fold of Rock n Roll award ceremonies. The OP did not paraphrase anything Simmons has offered in the way of his opinion on the matter at hand but asked a simple question. It is all just a waste of breath anyway discussing bullshit that does not elevate or help anyone onward in pursuit of art, love or brotherhood of man, but rather serves as a schism to divide people who should and could all be on the same team, we included. Peace.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. Cardamom

Cardamom Platinum Record

Gene Simmons doesn't belong in the Hip-Hop hall of fame. Seems fair to me. ;-)

Cardamom

18. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Rock and Roll doesn`t belong in the Rock and Roll hall of fame :cheers:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

And, that is exactly why I posted Simmons' statement and the subsequent question. I must say that members of AS seem to mirror similar overall reactions that have 'flooded' various Internet "comments" sections. But, as I will continue to opine, the Simmons statement is one that scratches at the underbelly of "modern" American music precepts and sensibilities. Love it or not.

20. John Boy

John Boy Newbie

respectfully, no - hip hop is too far removed from rock n roll for its acts to be logically inducted. it's a piece of shit organization anyway but has some symbolic value, cultural capital etc. i assume these are the assets rappers want to plunder. but in our PC nightmare of a modern west, they just might start getting some nominations however incredulous this would be.