Geist 2 usable (bugs) ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by omletta, Aug 17, 2017.

1. omletta

omletta Newbie

Hey,

I'm thinking about getting into Geist 2, but there still seem to be many issues with it (bugs). Some people, especially on the FXpansion forum, make it seem like this plugin is close to unusable in current form.

To the guys who have used it longer, is it actually usable on a daily basis or should I not bother with it in the current state? I love Geist 1 and would love to delve into version 2, but I'd like to avoid headaches.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Willum

Willum Rock Star

FXpansion devs are a lying bunch of cunts who dont give a shit about geist since they were bought out by Roli.

Stay well away from anything they sell is my advice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

Well that was to the point, but probably true..

5. alex921

alex921 Producer

Get Guru ::bleh:, Filters on it are one of the best I've ever heard in the digital domain, it sounds better then Geist. Geist 2 FX are nice

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Unfortunately, FXpansion is one of the buggiest developers and I would stay away from their products for serious production, free [as in "AZ version"] or especially if not free. I don't say this lightly. I really love many of their stuff and I've been using them since early '00, but if it breaks your workflow with crashes then "it's no good". They should pull their stuff together and then we'll talk. DSP quality of their plugins is top quality, though, IMHO.

Having said that, their older plugins are more stable and really good. Like Guru and DR-008 for example.

7. alex921

alex921 Producer

8. alex921

alex921 Producer

Is this still availalable? Since it dead for 10 years, perhaps you can PM me a link?

9. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

i like geist but i am puzzled as to the gui design. it's less intuitive than version 1 which is a great drum machine samlper... maybe they don't care about it anymore. when 2 was launched there was a groundswell in criticism more of which did surround numerous bugs.. does anyone have a favorite alternative?

10. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Have you ever heard of the saying " The grass is always greener on the other side?" That applies perfectly to Geist 2. You would automatically assume 2 would be much better than one, and you would want to believe it too. Just think though, a drum machine is all about getting the best sounding, best patterns, with the best work flow in the most reliable way. And all this while being easy to use. Geist 2 is fun to play about with, but whenever I reach for a drum machine, it's Geist 1 every time over 2.

If you ARE looking into getting a new drum machine, look no further than MDrummer (Version 7 recently made available on the sister site) The only thing version 6 lacked was a separate channel for overheads and room, but that was added to 7, even though I've not managed to work out how yet.

11. Sylenth.Will.Fall

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing, you don't like them very much :P

12. omletta

omletta Newbie

yeah i love Geist 1, but Geist 2 has several improvements, the resizable vector GUI only being the most obvious. So no, not really looking for another drum machine, it's just a matter of staying with Geist 1 or getting into version 2.

13. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Stay with 1!

14. OBKenobi

OBKenobi Producer

Very buggy and bloated-feeling, including their buggy license manager. I stick to Geist 1, Maul, and Tremor.

15. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

I use geist 2 quite a bit , and personally, ive not really had any problems with it ..
    Sure its got a few bug,s but nothing that ruins my days programming..
    Yeah itl cause abl or fl to crash periodically, but its not the end of the world
    Not like the bugs in BFD ,which for me makes it pretty unusable.
    I do agree its overbloated though..
    But still a damn good drum machine...
    Having said that ,i do have a tendency to bounce out whatever drum sounds/loops im working on at the time,
    And not bother saving presets...
    I do know there was a problem with saving and recalling patches..Not sure if that was Geist or BFD , cant quite remember

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  16. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

I sold by geist 1 years ago since I couldn't stand it's tiny gui. I am now on Maschine Studio :)

17. alex921

alex921 Producer

Alternative too geist would be AIR Transfuser 2

18. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

I have long used Guru then Geist 1, I adored it. I always had it loaded in Cubase to start making music, it was my number 1. When it was 2, I proved it, the novelty, but I continued working with the 1, it served me for everything. I have made comparisons of sound and sound the same.
    Now I use MASCHINE 2, much better than MASCHINE 1, Guru and Geist.
    Try to see which suits you best.

19. omletta

omletta Newbie

yeah GUI is something I feel some people don't really take into account, it can matter. With a larger screen resizable GUIs are very welcome. But obviously that's not the only thing version 2 improves upon.

jynx: Are you using the version from the sister site (2.0.6.5) ? or do you have the new "beta" which includes some fixes?

I think there were two updates released since lased AZ version, 2.0.7.52 and 2.0.7.53.

I can live with a few bugs, if they don't get into my daily work. Few software is entirely bug free, some people notice the problems, some not. Some problems are bigger, some not so. E.g. the very popular Soundtoys plugins: The version from latest AudioUTOPiA release from late 2015/start 2016 has an LFO syncing bug that rendered some of the plugs unusable for me, yet many people didn't seem to notice anything wrong. This is actually a super big problem, especially with rhythmic modifications, that some Soundtoys plugins are meant for; yet there wasn't really much talk about that. On the other hand Geist 2, there seems to be more talk about bugs than about the program itself. It's weird sometimes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  20. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

21. omletta

omletta Newbie

Thanks for sharing your experience jynx. Guess I'll at least try it out to see how it works for me. Yeah I'm familiar with the License Manager issues, but I've dealt with it numerous times (uninstalling/reinstalling several of their plugins) so that's not something that concerns me or I should say: it's not something that keeps me from installing their plugs. As long as something actually works in the end and I can be happy with it, I do not mind going all out to actually get it working.

What Geist BFD addon are you speaking of? You mean the BFD Remix expander?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017