FXpansion Guru....

Discussion in 'Software' started by Raddler777, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Raddler777

Raddler777 Guest

Deleted post.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2018
  3. MaschineMan

MaschineMan Ultrasonic

Deleted Reply :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  4. Raddler777

Raddler777 Guest

Thanks, mascchine. I did look eveywhere, but it's very old, it was released years ago though. I'll just delete the post, breaking rules wasn't my intention.

5. Disfunktion

Disfunktion Ultrasonic

PM dude :wink:

6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

why not use geist? its an updated GURU.

7. LFO

LFO Kapellmeister

I have both and use both regularly, and I think Geist is not proper replacement for Guru.
    Guru's workflow and some certain aspects of implementation are ahead of Geist and in some other stuff Geist is better.

8. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

i have never used both, because ableton drum rack works just better for me.
    does guru still work on newer OS versions?

9. Disfunktion

Disfunktion Ultrasonic

I've had Guru working on OS X El Capitan but not sure if it works past that.

10. Raddler777

Raddler777 Guest

^^^ I really like the simplicity of guru and it's much lighter on the cpu. I always though geist was rather bloated.

11. LFO

LFO Kapellmeister

That's good for you..I've tried to love Ableton drum racks and I am aware of its power but I just can't seem to keep using it, I find using more either GURU, Geist or Maschine.
    Last GURU works fine for me on Win10, but it's 32bit version only. In Bitwig I am using it natively, on other DAWs with jBridge and it's fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. Raddler777

Raddler777 Guest

Is anyone using Guru in the new logic 10.4 update (sierra) with 32 lives? Am I the only one noticing slow response/lag on the pad edit view with the envelope knobs? This wasn't the case on El capitan. Must be a sierra graphics issue with such an old plugin such as Guru...

13. mono

mono Audiosexual

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  14. Raddler777

Raddler777 Guest

^^^ Gorgeous skin momo, but how do I install it on a mac?

15. alex921

alex921 Producer

Guru has a algorythm, just like nerve, when you load 2 .rx2 files, say a hihat loop and a kick for example, it will automatically swing with each other. Try it for yourself, it's wonderful. You can even export the rex slices if you would like, it even detects the kick, snare, hihat for you which you can route seperately as audio. Also the midi implementation is far beyond geist, I mean the it accepts sysex, NRPN, and the possibitilies to route MIDI are endless. Though it's a bit complex for some that they scare away from it.
    [​IMG]

I do think Guru is still relevant, even though it is a bit outdated.

16. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Ain't that the truth. I don't mean to hijack this thread but this is part of why I'll prob never switch DAWs. Who needs a drum machine VST when you have Drum Rack? This + Push is about as easy as i gets

17. mono

mono Audiosexual

@alex921 not sure if this will work in live but grab and drop the little blocks just over the midi pads
    and it should drop the midi notes from that guru pattern onto any midi channel in live,
    If you do the same with the midi pads the loops should drop onto any audio channel as well this works in fl .
    The NVT swing is also good set at around 19% but you have to use the record in guru
    or recode the sounds in your daw for the swing to be saved in the audio,
    @Raddler777 glad ya got it working now :wink:

18. alex921

alex921 Producer

I'd imagine using a Push with a drum rack is a fun thing do to. I do like the drum rack aswel, I don't have a Push though :( Penciling my drum in the piano roll gets very repetitive and boring. So I relyon chopping loops in arrangement view or in Guru;).

Nice one, thanks for the tip. It sorta steps over a bar in the playlist editor when he played the drums, this is what i meant. Steve Duda probably implemented this code in his own product; Nerve, since he worked as a developer for Guru. I am curious how he codes this, it's probably got something to do with certain frequencies matching each other.

The step sequencer in FL is very good, I think this can not be replicated just as easy in Ableton, but as you said just dropping midi notes from Guru will work. Thanks.

Btw: what do you mean with nvt swing?

19. Raddler777

Raddler777 Guest

Anyone getting laggy knob behaviour ( Pad edit view envelope controls) using guru on sierra? Could someone test it out for me if you do have it, not sure if it's just an issue with my setup.

• List
  20. mono

mono Audiosexual

@alex921
    on the bottom right inside the groove box is a drop down list with groove and swing templates
    you can change them from the list then use the noob just over undo to set the %
    you can also change the grooves on all 8 engines , best one i think is nvt but you can give them all a try.

@Raddler777 did you try the default skin again to see if it works any better ?

21. Raddler777

Raddler777 Guest

Hey mono, yeah, it reacts that way with all skins...It started as soon as I upgraded to sierra from el capitan. I think it's a problem inherent to sierra and something about the graphics.