Future house/modern dance Piano?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Highdom, May 24, 2017.

1. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

i am searching some instrument or sample library to create more interesting breakdown in EDM tracks, like in Martin Garrix's or the guys from spinnin record's tracks...so I realise that most of the body of their breakdown are made with a big variety of electric piano and classic piano combined each other.
    I need also some bright 'classic' future house piano to make more powerful and more harmonic drops, like in Calvo or Don Diablo tracks.

I actually use Nexus Piano (real, this shit is basic but it works when you start to produce ) or Kontakt 'The grandeur'. I really appreciate the real feeling behind it but it's a little bit simpler and too classic for EDM if you use just as single layer piano.
    Do you know some good piano for EDM/future or even some technics to make it powerful in the mix?

3. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

I would only add some things that may be helpful. The "electric" House piano is almost always the M1. If you're using anything else it means you are experimenting - a good thing - but people recognize the M1 as THE house sound.. In future house the piano becomes the "real" piano layer + the M1 layer.

For the "real" piano layer I would use something that you can control (turn OFF all the reverb, resonance, pedal noise,.. all the "realistic" stuff). For this job ppl like to use Alicia, The Giant, 4front ..and Nexus ;). The untreated piano will eat up all your mix so put an EQ on it and after a lo-cut turn down the lows and bump up the mids a bit (reserve the highs for the M1). Add some saturation.

Then make the same notes play the M1. You don't need to EQ (maybe a lil lo-cut), but you must widen the stereo image of this one. There are many plugs that will do the job. Again saturator, exciter,..

Balance and glue the two parts together /w a compressor long attack/short release (ssl buss, the glue,..) and if you want more "power", put a MB comp on, distort/saturate. At this stage add a bit of reverb. Also although you cut the lows /w EQ, you should leave bass part of the piano harmony in..

It would be helpful if you'd put here a link of a specific song /w a breakdown/sound you want to achieve. At the end - your composition and how you harmonize is as important as the sound.. hope this helps :wink:

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  4. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

Amazing reply man! Really helpful about M1!

Yes, I'd like to make that future house piano

And breakdown like this