Funky deep house track I made, looking for some feedback :)

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by DPA, Feb 20, 2022.

1. DPA

DPA Ultrasonic

3. B00nD0ggie

B00nD0ggie Kapellmeister

hey, that's not bad! so many ridiculous posts about "give me some feedback" on this forum where the poster gets everything wrong, the genre, the sound, the elements... but u get them right! Good job. The bassline and kick fit well, the elements keep the funky groove, very good! I think maybe some vocal-y elements will help the track from getting kinda dull, but not too bad at all!

4. Lonely_Avatar

Lonely_Avatar Ultrasonic

First thought - too many hihats.
    Mixing - too wide, sounds a little phasey - did you overuse that stereo widener? Everything moves around, everything is panned a bit too much, you overdid it. Rarely do you hear in today's music extreme pan's.
    Not sure what elements I should focus on. Is that pitch bend pad the main element of your mix? It should be kick - bass - lead.
    Bass - not defined enough. I would make it a little crispy, more present in the mix.
    Kick drum - I would replace it. Did you layer it? Sounds a bit woody.
    Snare/clap thing - falls flat on the kick, offset it a little. Make it snap some more, add some transients.
    Apart from the pad, I can't focus on enything else, it's just stuff. I would go like -5db on it.
    Not a lot of volume automation going on. Perhaps none.
    Ending - always ALWAYS make an ending anb always export in WAV.
    Other than that, cool track, keep it up, make more, never give up! Take what you need from the feedback.

5. lxfsn

lxfsn Platinum Record

Here's some useful feedback a random person on the net can give (you don't know me, my taste, my monitoring setup, nothing), works for any song: put your song in a playlist of about 10 similar songs (preferably a dj mix) and start listening, get into the mood with the first 5 songs then have yours at number 6. What do you experience when you hear your song? Is the general vibe still there? Is your song too much, too less? Is the next song too much or too less? Does this whole playilist sounds right? Is your song fit only with a small amount of similar songs? Why? (also feel free to make up your own set of contextual questions)
    If you truly have taste in music, you'll know when the song is good and when it isn't.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Benno de Bruin

Benno de Bruin Kapellmeister

Nice track. I agree with Lonely_Avatar that it seems like there's something off with the panning. It made me check if i had put my headphones on the right way. Also, for a 3 minute track, a 1 minute 'intro' seems long. The kick might need a bit more body. And that synth in my left ear is distracting too much, and perhaps not strong enough to last the entire song. But again, nice track!

7. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

I like the arrangement and the mix, while not perfect, is not too bad for a start. If your goal was to make a "funky house track" I would say that it sounds more like Tech House to me than "Funky House" or "Deep House". That's not necessarily bad, since there are many venues to play this music that sits somewhere in between techno and house.

I'm missing some additional rhythmic elements, maybe shakers that fade in at some point.

The other guy said it sounds too wide, but for my taste I would actually enjoy more panning of the elements, like hats slowly moving from left to right over the cause of one and a half bars or so.

This hoovering pad sound becomes a bit redundant to my ears at some point. I would try to switch it up or completely filter it away at some point and substitute another element maybe. I would definitely decrease the low mids around 230 Hz area, there is a bit too much bass mud accumulating around that area.

Overall it's a good track already, I could imagine it being played in some Berlin underground club, those that still exist after gentrification and Corona.

8. Direct drive

Direct drive Producer