FruityLoops in your Mac AT LAST!

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by fraggle83, Apr 1, 2012.

1. fraggle83

fraggle83 Member

Well, as S. van Miller has pointed out, this is not Fruity Loops BUT A CLONE of it for
    Linux (and so Mac) and Windows ... It's my mistake to have used such a subject with the
    only intention to call your attention and see that this could cause some missunderstanding
    on users who visit the post (see xoxo's questions and my answers below).

My apologizes!

Hi Mates!,

Yesterday i was looking for something (oh yes i recall now, i was trying to find the best Linux port to install in
    Parallels) when i stumbled against THIS! ... "WHOHOW!!! Means this that being a Linux app i can have it in my
    Mac as a NATIVE app?!" though to myself. So, i went rapidly to MacPorts and see if they had ported this ...
    and they did it!!!

So if you're courageous enough to give a try to MacPorts (and face te ins and outs with it) you can get "Fruity Loops"
    for FREE in your Mac as i have it now in my iMac.

Well enough words, here are some videos for you to get a taste of the app! ... judge by yourselves.

Neddless to say that if you want to mess up with MacPorts to install this port i will help you in anything is at my hand!

Kind Regards! :mates:

3. fraggle83

fraggle83 Member

Pardon ?! ... Have i missed something ?! :unsure: :rofl:

I know you're joking MAudio ... However i hope your post doesn't becomes an easy excuse to fill this thread with
    a non-sense discusion about what is the better daw in the universe! :dont: ... Don't take this as an offense, but let
    us keep this threat clean to others to either express what they think about LMMS or keep silent (as the 56-1 = 55
    visitors up to now that have read the post) ... Don't you think ?!

4. svmiller

svmiller Newbie

fraggle is right. Your post is meaningless to this thread.
    Every DAW has is different, and has different limitations, but that's not the topic of this thread.
    If you're responding on this, or any, thread, please be constructive or, at least, say something about what other users post.

It's like:

However, fraggle, it's not FL studio. It's like FL studio

5. xoso

xoso Kapellmeister

Yay! less for Mac users to complain about.

FL Studio does kinda suck. It takes a lot more to get something to sound good in FLS than in a lot of other things. But FL Studio also has features that kills others. The midi editor alone can't be touched by any other DAWS [with the exception of a few missing selection methods]

But yeah, still pretty cool. If someone would have done this a few years ago I would have cared.

Out of curiosity I have a few questions about the FL Studio Mac Port.

1. does it use pc VST's or mac VST's?
    2. does it have lag because of the processor difference?
    3. could you save a FLP on your mac version and load it into FL Studio for PC?

I'm mostly not wanting to know for mac but mostly for the ipad/andriod FL Studio and I'd think even a port would have some of these things in common.

6. fraggle83

fraggle83 Member

Well, i think you forget that nowadays are another and better means to know who you really are and ban you forever!
    Ah! the wondrous technology!!!

7. fraggle83

fraggle83 Member

I'm afraid it's not a FL Studio Mac Port in the real sense, but a sourceforge free attempt to do a clone of FL for Linux.
    In fact the program's name is "Linux MultiMedia Studio". After that they ported to Windows. So, you have two options to try
    to use this on your Mac

1) Use MacPorts (or similars: Fink, Homebrew, ...) which installs Linux Apps into MacOSX (don't forget that MacOSX is based on a Linux Distro), or
    2) Use WineSkin (or similars: Cider, Crossover, ...) to install the windows version as a native Mac App (WineSkin uses Wine, and Wine is the Windows emulator that Linuxers and Mac'ers use to get windows apps and games into LinuX/MacOSX)

At the moment, as far as i know, the port i've installed (MacPorts) seems that can't use any VST (i'm experimenting on that).
    On the other hand i want to port the Windows version using WineSkin and see what happens with the VSTs (i've seen a video in
    you tube from someone that installed a year ago LMMS into WineBottler (similar to WineSkin) and it seems the vst host worked
    (he used windows vst). As i've said i'm experimenting on that to see if it's possible or not (i'll post here the results).

On the other hand there are plugins i can use without any problem with the LMMS i've installed and they are the audio plugins
    the Linuxers use in their apps/daws called LADSPA which come to be like VST on Windows universe or AU in Mac universe; they
    works 100% ok.

As i've said it's not FL but a clone of it, and with regards to "processor difference" maybe i do not understand fully your
    question, but to my understanding processors nowadays are the same either for Mac as for PC (Windows/LinuX) ... i.e.: Intel
    (an i know there's also AMD but not in Mac world). With regards to "lag" i can't give you any answer because i have some
    problems with MIDI recognition on the side of LMMS in my system i must solve before.

Yes and No ... No because you can't save to FLP but to a propietary file format (extension .mmp .mmpz). Yes because you can
    import FLP files into it (experimenting on that also). Anyway they are still trying to implement fully FLP import so it's
    in the so called beta (or maybe even alpha). Personally i've tried to import an FLP file i've downloaded from the NET after
    i've seen your question and the result has been: samples not imported (perhaps because i didn't move them to the samples
    folder before), so i had to import them manually into the tracks. Other than that and some missing files in the .rar i've
    downloaded the file imported worked ok (at least it gave me some sound *yes* ) ... Another thing could be if the FLP has
    info for some VSTis or VSTs, i think they probably fail then. Anyway it's a work in progress so lets wait and see.

To me LMMS has all the things i loved in FL when i was in Windows. It has not support for VST on Mac right now (i still
    have to try to port it to WineSkin though) but sure it will come, or some hacker (i love this word) will find the way to
    do it. Any way what i liked most of FL is the MIDI editor as you say and how quick you can creat grooves with it and it's
    for that that i tried many times to port Windows FL to WineSkin but despite it works there's a known problem with it: there's
    no way that FL find/import the samples (despite they are all there). It's for that reason that i was so happy when i found
    LMMS and i think that was that happiness that made me to use the subject (which create confussion somehow).

Well, hope i could have helped with my answers, if you have any more questions please let me know.

I think there's already a FL version for iPad from ImagLine itself (i think i saw a note in a Computer Music or Future Music magazines some months ago).

EDIT: Oh!, i've forgot to mention that there's also another project that tries to use Windows VSTs in Mac as native VSTs using Wine (see above)
    it is called WACVST (http://sourceforge.net/projects/wacvst/) which i'm experimenting also at the present without so much success.

8. fraggle83

fraggle83 Member

I'm not the admin but sure i would eventually find a way to ban you forever if i was!
    This kind of challenges are those i like the most ... So, would you like to play "dog-cat" game with me noobie !? ... :bleh: :rofl: