Fruity Granulizer in Ableton

Discussion in 'Software' started by VSKZ, Aug 8, 2022.

1. VSKZ

VSKZ Producer

Hi!
    I tried many granulizer plugins and m4l devices but somehow fruity granulizer just gets very sick sounds you can use for interesting bass design for example. I looked up what the controls do exactly, but even with that in mind, other granulators just don't cut it.

Sadly, image Line has this plugin not available as an VST, which sucks big time. It would be awesome if someone made a copy of it as a vst. Do you think they do this on purpose, or are they really not capable of porting it to vst?

OK anyway. I use granulizer in Ableton with the FL Studio vst which sucks as you can imagine and wanted to know if someone got any tricks for me to make this possible better or if someone knows a plugin that is very similar to fruity ganulizer.

It would be cool if some kind of wrapper existed to use 3xosc, granulizer and others as a vst.

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

4. VSKZ

VSKZ Producer

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Older versions of FL(v12 or early v20.x builds) and Live (v9) support ReWire, this worked decent.

But this will never work decent enough as in FL native.
    I suggest you search for alternatives as @BEAT16 has suggested.

7. qubriq

qubriq Noisemaker

Agreed. Quanta, and also Henke's own Granulator II - for me anyway the differences in the controls between these two lead me to different but equally useful results. Great interfaces and great results.

Edit: Sorry for not answering OP's question though

8. VSKZ

VSKZ Producer

Thanks anyway for your help. I tried contacting image line, and they said that there "are no plans to release Fruity Granulizer as a VST plugin at this moment."
    Maybe some developer will just copy it in the future. Do you think it would be hard to analyse what everything is doing exactly?

9. Yorgos

Yorgos Noisemaker

Without further explanation, yes, I believe it's very difficult. First of all there is no motivation for someone to do this since there plenty of exceptional granulators out there which do almost the same thing but just with different values.

The best thing you can do is to "reverse engineer" Fruity Granulizer. And after you understand each parameter what exactly does then you can corellate to any other granulizer. In order to reverse enginner you must use the simplest possible values. Just 1 grain per second, no effects, nothing. See how you do it in Fruity granulizer and then try to apply the same to Monolake's M4l Granulator for instance.
    You have to know already 100% what a basic granulator does - so to figure out "ah.. this gr spacing parameter I can replicate it with the frequency parameter in M4l granulator"

I have never used Fruity Granulizer but for a small demo I saw it's just a granulator like all the others. Doesnt make something magic. The only addition it has is the "transients" section. IF the sounds you like they are made WITH the transients section on, then maybe it would be difficult to replicate since this function doesnt exist in other commercial granulators. But if transients section is not important for these bass sounds you want, then I am pretty sure that you can achieve the same results after a lot "try and error".

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022