From today WinXP users are officially fucked!

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Willum, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Willum

Willum Rock Star

Support from microshit has officially finished today, no more updates or bug fixes for xp after 8th April.
    Unless you are a major company or goverment and can afford to pay yet another tax to microshit, if you are then what the fuck are you doing here anyway :).

If you are using XP and you need to go online i'd suggest using an upto date linux distro running in a vm(virtual machine) such as Virtualbox. Its really easy to setup and much safer to go online as any nasty trojans, driveby's or viruses you encounter are flushed away each time you shut down the vm.

3. Demon

Demon Producer

Who would be still using XP anyway?

If only Windows 8 wasn't so shit, I'd move to it... I'm sticking to W7

4. Willum

Willum Rock Star

Well apparently about a quarter of computers online are still using xp.
    As for why, i'd guess users with old machines unable to run anything newer, people with software or hardware that doesn't work on newer os's or they dont have any need for a newer os.

Same here, guess we will just have to hope microshit come back to reality and realise that desktop users want different things from an os than tablet users do before they release win9.

5. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

if people r still so stubborn to use xp,it s not microsoft s problem,it s like complaining because car factories don t make horseshoes.it s 2014,wake up people,get windows 7,not windows 8,it sucks and next year the beta of windows 9 will already be available,hoping for microsoft it s not another epic flop ( for those of u who don t know,windows 8 has been a disaster commercially,for a lot of good reasons)

installing a linux distro on a virtual machine...keeping xp doing other tasks whilethe virtual machine is used for the internet...thus having two operating systems running simultaneously...sharing the ram....yeah,so much easier and more productive than formatting the pc and installing a newer OS

6. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

This means that Microsoft can finally release XP as freeware. Great! Oh wait, it's Micro$oft, never mind then :(
    But still, technically it IS abadonware *yes*

Anyway this means nothing for us XP triple booters (XP, W7 Audio, W7), the updates didn't fix anything anyway :rofl: . About security, that's why you have firewall/AV *yes*
    Well I don't, as they consume a lot of resources, but it's quite rare for me to found a virus (with weekly offline AV scan). *yes*

7. popeye

popeye Kapellmeister

I love W8.1.........!

8. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I don't see anything wrong with using XP for audio and Linux for everything else. Fuck Microsoft, they're going to shit anyway. Just the other day I've discovered the best Linux distro I've used so far and I got in love with it: Mint Linux Debian version with MATE http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php Excellent stuff! Previously I've been using Damn Small Linux, various Ubuntu's including Studio [which is great, too], pure Debian and PCLinuxOS Mate and LXDE versions http://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos/mate/ All these are great distros, can't go wrong with any of these. I prefer the LXDE and MATE X-windows GUI because they are the leanest and fastest of these newer, more moder looking ones.

I use VirtualBox, too, because I'm too lazy to reboot every time I want to change the OS. :rofl: But I do have dual boot Mint/XP on my laptop as of the other day. :) Linux distros have gone a long way since I first used Debian and Damn Small Linux sometime 6-7 years ago. I'd suggest anyone to give a try to any of these and see, especially Mint, PCLinuxOS or Ubuntu. :wink: For audio use whatever rocks your boat. Linux is the safest OS to use for Internet and general work now. Every virus is targeting either Windows or OS-X regardless the security features and version. Security features can be cracked, as you know that. :bleh:

9. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

yayyyy..the OS debate starts again,i missed it

10. pandora

pandora Newbie

I'm still using XP, and I don't need such update or support from microsift till today
    so I think this is isn't something to afraid of

the one that disapointing me is the latest software from native instruments doesn't support for XP
    but its okay, coz I find out how to deal with it *yes*

11. Regz

Regz Producer

From today WinXP users are officially fucked!

I did not know that this OS still exists..... LOL

12. orgcha

orgcha Ultrasonic

Micro$oft hasn't issued any updates for XP in about 4 years have they? So....what difference would it make? If your VST's don't work with XP, getting an update wouldn't do any good anyway.
    As soon as Cockos makes a version of Reaper for Linux I'll be going there immediately...

13. transporter1333

transporter1333 Member

Addendum:

From April 4th 1975, since its foundation, users of anything of Microsoft (like me...) are officially fucked! :rofl:

14. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Well, not like u haven't had fair warning.

Time to move on. :wink:

15. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

I moved recently to W7...because some softwares were already not working anymore on XP :rofl:
    And i hate W8.1.

XP is 12 years

If you use Apple, you need to change your computer every 5 years to get the last OS.
    With Linux or Windows, as long as you get enough RAM, and may be a 30 bucks graphic card...it works.

I installed W7 on 10 years old computers maxed to 2GB or 4GB RAM : no problem

XP is down, and i care less at home than at my job : i need to upgrade 205 computers this year :rofl:

16. AuralVirus

AuralVirus Newbie

YOU SHOULD USE WHAT I USE - MY DECISION IS BEST DECISION (EVER)

btw just how old is Win XP now? (12 years I see above 12 fricken years!!!!
    I'm actually surprised they were still updating it tbh.

You say microsh1t but Do Apple still update OS9? Nope. Isn't that the same? (technically OS9 is younger - I was dual booting os9/osx for rebirth back whenever 2005?? ish.)

17. light59

light59 Noisemaker

If you have SP3 then you don't really need anything else. Most bug and fixes for XP have already been ironed out in a 13 years span - you'll be surprise how many anti piracy devices you get in all those fixes that Microsoft wants you to download almost on a daily basis. The same goes for Vista, Win 7 and 8. :rofl:

18. xHitoKiri

xHitoKiri Member

A quarter of computers online?

I hardly doubt a quarter of ALL PC still use XP. I hardly know anyone in real life that uses that operating system. At least for my experience 90% of the people that i know use windows 7 and the rest use window 8. Obviously excluding the mac users.

19. clamz

clamz Newbie

what a silly topic. XP works fine for those using it, it isn't going to stop working because there are no more updates.

20. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

Well, I'm sticking with XP, feck MS. They ain't gonna stop me :wink:

(only on my old dell lappy tho)

21. onhappin

onhappin Ultrasonic

:rofl: Same here, bro! XP on a pretty old Dell laptop and, being lazy and procrastinator by default, this is not going to change soon *no* Most of my net surfing happens on this machine.
    Anyway, I cant remember when I updated XP last time (was it like 3 years ago, huh?!), use good firewall and av and couldn't care less about Microsoft and their marketing moves.