From Rock to EDM

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by Strangedays, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Strangedays

Strangedays Newbie

I came from predominantly mixing rock bands in a studio.

I started writing electronic style pop with some artists and decided I liked being able to work like this so my own music became more electronic.

I still use a lot of my techniques I have learnt from mixing rock.

So I just wondered what you do/ how you mix that you know is different from acoustically recorded music. I use Ableton now (I used to work in Pro Tools).

In Rock I used to mix my kick and snare quite loud. However in EDM I find the samples are usually a lot more powerful. I will still blend room samples in with dry ones to create a more reverberant feel to the drums. however I find myself Ewing out some top end sometimes. I downloaded some of the trance sample packs with the kicks, but they feel a lot more powerful than what I hear on most of the big trance albums.

I know 909s are the typically starting point for trance, but what do you guys use/do to your mixes with the drums in this genre?

I tend to use compression differently I find as well - usually more for shaping a sound rather than for leveling as samples are usually consistant.

So what are your thoughts on the differences, and any advise on approaching the mixing. I am very comfortable with using all the tools, EQ , Compression, reverberation, saturation etc as I became quite skilled when working in the studio.