from fl to live

Discussion in 'Live' started by Backtired, Nov 8, 2022.

1. N3U7R0N

N3U7R0N Newbie

Get a LaunchPAD to transition easily. Ableton with a Launchpad or push 1/2 puts FL studio on your actual desk. They're dirt cheap too. If you click MIDI notes in, you will miss the piano roll in FL. Also if you arrange the playlist in FL (Clips=Patterns Second window/Timeline= Playlist Bottom row of clip view = Mixer)

It's not as CUTE as FL and looks like a spreadsheet but Check out Max4Live Devices and Sound different from the other guys using the same FLP templates and abused VSTi's. The workflow is different but I still prefer FL for Sample based compositions. Fruity Slicer > Simpler's Slicer To me at least. But WARP audio is superior to FL time stretching algos. So, you may want and apple or you may want an orange. You're eating healthy either way. ENJOY!

2. droplet

droplet Rock Star

I forget why, it's been a long time that i won't use Ableton. But routing was the first reason i got out of it and when i found reaper I had no need to look back. I was FREE. and then why pay 400 euros when you can pay 70?

3. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

thanks everybody for the wonderful answers, they really help.
    i have a quick question about live.
    imagine i want to play a chord progression: C major, then G major. ok fine, i put Analog on a MIDI track, and I play the progression.
    now, instead of putting another MIDI track to have another *layer* of sound, with another pad, i can simply use an Instrument Rack and make two chains, fantastic.
    now the question: the instrument rack always plays the SAME notes/midis. what if i want the second pad i added later, to have a different voicing? am i forced to add another midi instrument (and then i could group them and process them together, ofc)?

4. Joe_sleaze

Joe_sleaze Platinum Record

What? I regularly sequence external gear through FL Studio. Sometimes through 3rd plugins (Sugarbytes Thesys, or HY-seq for instance)

5. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Platinum Record

Yeah your best solution there is Ctrl D to duplicate the track and remove the opposite Synths from each version. Then you're free to tweak the MIDI on each...

Grouping is a bit weird because you can Group in different ways. You can Group inside a track to get layers, but then you can group Audio and MIDI in the same Group. Confusing. Think of that second one as a 'Buss' and the Grouping of Synths or FX as inside the track is so that both Synths can play the same MIDI. You can Group FX inside any Channel to create a Wet/Dry mix, so like Parallel FX or Synths can go together like this. You can put those Groups inside Groups inside Groups etc... Same with the 'Buss Groups'... Its confusing to talk about, but once you're familiar its just natural reaction really, but that might take a bit of time to start reacting creatively

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

I like to make a few Groups when I start getting into a track, sooner rather than later. I do Summing and Folder Stacks (which do not Group Bus mixer sum) in Logic; it's all the same general idea. But I make one for each of my Sections; so one for bass, one for synths, drums, and FX just to start. This way as I am working I can mute entire groups while working to focus on whatever group you are working with.
    I do not add any FX to them at all until way way later. I delete the Groups and re-stack them over into True summing stacks, where each group bus is a sum.

If a big track gets intimidating or hard to navigate because of clutter, this is so damn helpful. It's why I set it up almost immediately after I have the first few channels made.

7. reziduchamp

Yeah I do the same. I Grouped into Dimensions though, so that I can process Near sounds together with the same processing. Its also great for keeping things organised... Mine is all set up in advance though, so that I'm always thinking in terms of Buss Dimensions. Its helping to bring focus to what's missing in tracks, like a Verse might not have Pads that I put into my Deep Buss. Visually its bringing a lot of logic to my Arrangements where I struggled in the past, following typical Tutorials etc

8. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

hello! i have been using live these last few days as i've had more free time. i feel very happy with it for now.
    i have a question.
    let's see, imagine i've made a few tracks/patterns in the Session View, then I went on and arranged them. nice!
    but, of course, these were the main "blocks" of the song. now i want to add some embellishments, some transition fxs, etc.
    the problem i've encountered is that when i drop a clip in the arrangement view, *directly*, it doesn't create a clip in the session view. what's the problem? well, i have a "general FX" track where i send all the fx (let's say a Crash, a Reverse Crash, and a Sweep). whenever i duplicate one of these in the arrangement view and then modify something, the other clips of the same style aren't updated. from what i understand, the clips are UNIQUE. if i drop in a Crash, then duplicate it, adjust the volume of the first one (in Clip View), the other stays at the old volume. and this is expected behaviour, that's how it works!

but now, then... what's the best way to do this? i was thinking of different solutions.

- i could use a Simpler/Sampler and make a track for each FX, then group them under General FX; the pro of this would be complete control over the sample due to dropping it into simpler/sampler; the con would be that i have to use MIDI clips for something as simple as a sweep (and there would be no waveform displayed on the arrangement view, but that's minor);
    - i drop my Crash into a track in session view, and then use that clip and drop it into the arrangement, that way it's always the same
    (another quick note: why the clip view is so fucking limited? if i want to cut my Crash, i have to do it into the arrangement and then record/export/whatever into a new sample/track? that's why i prefer the first option; by clip view i mean when live displays the waveform and you can transpose it, change its gain, warp it, etc. but nothing else really; cannot cut it at all)

i think i prefer one, but i'll give it a try tomorrow.
    how do you guys approach this? i hope i was clear, cheers

(ps @clone don't regret at all having uninstalled fl studio, FOR NOW... as i said in another thread, i kinda miss Edison and the piano roll, but nothing major, i'm really glad, thanks a lot brother)

9. reziduchamp

Session View is for setting up. You take it into Arrange View to finish the track. So you wouldn't really be going back there. Or its for live work, where you might drag things back across... So if you want that same part in Session View you need to drag it across. If its a clip you have to get creative. If you dropped it from Bar 8 to Bar 3 of the next Phrase for example you'd have to set up an 8 bar loop in Session View and set the marker to start on Bar 1 of the next Phrase and as you work back inside Session View it will loop correctly

I think if you right click on an audio sample you can 'convert to Sampler' or Simpler

You can also take a sample that's 1 bar long and extend the loop to 8 bars without turning it into a sample. There's a 'Loop Length' setting. Its slightly different between Ableton 10 and 11. You can either roll up with the cursor or type. Easy to set loop locators as well. Play around in the Sample View, its pretty good. Its 'Warp' is pretty class. Pro is probably the best for Vocals etc, but for Drums you might want Beats

Yeah you're right about editing in Arrange View. You can't do it in Session View if I'm remembering that right. There's a few quirks like this that both Views have advantages with. Its really shit with editing audio in general though. Very basic stuff. You might want something external to edit audio

10. droplet

droplet Rock Star

You're already seeing limitations. I think they might have invented the slogan "in the box" just for ableton life in the box.
    get out of the box you will feel free. move on asap, try reaper with your vsts. everybody and his grandmother have piano roll.

11. reziduchamp

Genius

12. droplet

droplet Rock Star

just a monkey-brained comment

13. guitarie

guitarie Kapellmeister

can people show me how to make this possible in fl studio with using virus Ti2 usb connection only ..
    maybe i overlooked