Frequency value of sub, basses, leads...

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Highdom, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

What are teorical frequency values of sub, basses, leads and chords and high percussion like rides in electronic music?

Any tables? Thanks

3. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

I had this as a link on my desktop for the longest time. Not for electronic music specifically but a good tool for learning. I've seen others with 808 and 909 frequencies but after using the interactive chart for a while I learned to pick out the approximate range of the sound I was listening to just by listening. It's a skill that you can just keep honing.

If you're a kinesthetic learner like me, drop a spectrum analyzer on your master and try to estimate the frequency of the sound, then solo the instrument and check your answer.

Apologies if this doesn't help.

4. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

Ok thanks it can work, I understood it isn't any 'perfect frequency' for subs basses and so one so forth... However I generally drop the spectrum analyzer on the master and sometimes I quickly look at it, to have an idea of what I'm making with my synths, most of all with my subs.

Generally speaking Sub has to stay in the first octave of the spectrum...more precisely from D#-2 to D#-1? Or something like that?

5. m9cao

m9cao Producer

Placing your sub where no conflict with other instrument, generally speaking probably lower octave of bass, at octave or anywhere to makeup of harmony. insert a eq with high pass filter till you can hear the sub

6. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

But what
    But what frequencies range works better for subs? Below 80hz? Or it can be even higher?

7. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

When dealing with high and low pass filters it should pertain only to the allocation of headroom and the emphasis of the key range as a whole. No matter what instrument track you're dealing with your high and low pass filters should be set dependent upon the lowest and highest notes that are present on that track. No frequency chart determines where to set your filters.. the notes you play and the octave range determines it. And when it comes to obstructive frequency collisions between two or more tracks your decision is based on which of the tracks you feel should sound more prevalent than the other/s in those instances. If you can't detect the collision frequency range by ear you'll make use of a visual analyzer to see specifically where those tracks are colliding/masking. A good choice then is a dynamic eq to apply bell cuts on the track/s you you demand less presence from during the collisions, or you'll use sidechain compression and isolate the specific frequency range that will be attenuated.

8. timer

timer Producer

That could be misread as "Set the low pass to the fundamental frequency of your highest note".
    A steep filter at this frequency would kill all overtones of the higher notes leaving only a sine wave.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  9. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

Thanks for the reply. I usually use a spectrum to see frequencies of my instrument but my question is now changed a bit.
    When can I tell 'sub' a bass? What frequencies are sub basses? What is sub basses frequencies range?
    For istance: F is a good note for sub.
    The real sub is (F1) 43.7 or (F2) 87.3 hz or either? What about B1 and B2? Is B2 classified as Sub?

10. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Sub is considered to be < 60Hz. Though as you noticed, the "frequency of sub" depends on the note you're playing. The good thing is nobody cares how you call it, just do it by ear, no tables will know what your music sounds like.

11. inusable

inusable Producer

12. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

A sub is any sound isolated in the lower frequency range. For example, the F1 key you mentioned can be a sub, or not. The common sub bass has a 45 degree or more frequency decay. If the same F1 key decays frequency at 15 degrees it won't sound like a sub at all. And honestly when you're EQ'ing your subs you can shape the tone how it sounds best to you regardless how short, long, sharp, or round given the key notes retain the highest amplitude. The main thing to consider is still gonna be what amount of overall presence and what rms level/weight fits best with everything else you are showcasing in your mix.

13. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

It's also worth noting that a sub is never really that loud, and it requires upper harmonics to make it come out on smaller systems.

Also for most consumer loudspeakers anything below 50Hz is inside the HPF of the speaker, really good ones might go down to 40Hz, bellow that it gets into expensive HiFi speakers and cars or bass boosted outputs.

FWIW _ try to stay relatively flat and don't build mountains in sub and infra bass regions just because you want to force it.