Frequencies, Levels of a Mix and Mastering Tips

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by The Drum King, Jun 7, 2011.

1. pilz971

pilz971 Kapellmeister

Tis indeed a GRRRRET thread!

Nice One to all of the sharers of hard earned knowledge! :mates: :wink:

2. proaudiozone.info

proaudiozone.info Banned

good one thnkx

proaudiozone.info
    best regards

3. hopemusic

hopemusic Newbie

ey guys i need your help in this theme
    http://soundcloud.com/blezzz420/torolla-potatoes-and-popsicle
    i think that he could use the suassage (DADA) on the master channel
    because all sound very fat!!

is it a profesional mastering?

what i have to do to get these sound?

and how to repulse electrode??????
    hahahhaha it is in all soundcloud ,its so aweary but his music its cool

:rofl:

help me plis!!!

4. xochi1978

xochi1978 Newbie

Great 1, thnx to you all. Let's get the mix better and better :wink:

5. klocuch

klocuch Newbie

Hello folks. :break:

I'm beginner with making music myself. I'm trying to make good sounding master, but i don't have any idea how to make this thing sound good. :dunno: Please, listen my sets. It's a song from fl studio 10 demo. Original mix and master. Tell my what sound good (if does) and what sound bad. Hep!

Greetings. :bow:

6. Jessycd

Jessycd Noisemaker

@Hopemusic this is not what I'm listening to at home, but man, that ROCKS ! Crazy destroyed/overdriven analog sounds !! Keep up the good work :mates:

Of course it reminds me a bit of Justice and/or early Daft Punk maybe a bit of Aphex Twin too !

7. Ali.Toge

Ali.Toge Newbie

:wink: Speaking from a newbie perspective - every little helps- plus with things like this, you can try it yourself and find out what you like! SO thanks everyone for helping out a fledgling!

Talking of "templates" - Have been speaking to some guy in another forum on here about producing and being new at it - wierdly, we both came across the same site called Clicksound www.clicksound.net - it's a new site it seems and you can buy MIDI construction templates which are really awesome - and they also have a pre-configured mastering channel with like EQ, limiting, some of them have sidechain (which I had NO idea how to do, but always wanted to do it!)- their sound is really good, really professional to my ears - and what's really cool is that it's like a construction kit of samples, but it's in MIDI, so you can change everything...it's not a song either, it's more like ideas/raw materials for a track which you can take or leave/mess around with etc. I downloaded their Deep House MIDI Elements 1 and am having stupid amounts of fun with it making my own song, using a couple ideas from them like I would with a sample, and for once it SOUNDS how it should do to my ears!

Anyway, the newbie will shut up now! Cheers :thumbsup:

8. djSPAZ

djSPAZ Newbie

Great Post! Great Place to start when you want to isolate problems in a mix.

9. PYRUS MALUS

PYRUS MALUS Noisemaker

[​IMG]

10. urOk

urOk Member

very useful post ! thank you :mates:

11. bintang

bintang Newbie

great

12. dogboy

dogboy Newbie

Hi everybody

Just bein registered , i have to make my contribution to that topic as you have forgot one essential main point on equalisation : This is music , it means that the tonality of the song (eg :C , B , G D whatever )will influence the way And the frequency you will have to boost or cut (generally this act as a yin yang (source : bob katz) .
    You have to understand the way the fundamental notes and their respective harmonics acts in the arrangement of the song , then decide with your eq to A:/clean your sounds B:/ which one will be proeminent in wich area (here is the usefulness of freq charts) and the main question : does it serve the intention of the artist or not!! i explain more clearly with an example :you have to mix the song of your friend's band , let s say they make some rock : first problem is the overlapping freq of the guitar and the interaction of the bass between the kick and the guitar .Dependin of the key of the song let s say it s in C your fundamental of the bass will be 261hz for C at the higher octave of the bass and 130 for the main line , those notes ARE frequency also and the fundamental of some guitar arrangements will be on 523 hz .SO the main goal will be to make them fits together with maybe upper the higher range of the bass and cut the lower octave of the guitar(523hz) and boost a bit( means a laaaaarge Q for boostin of course and sharp q to remove to make it sounds natural "in some sense") the 1046 hz area .
    hope this will give you a new point of view about how to really mix with eq and think musically wth your tools rather than boostin or cut frequencies without knowing exactly if you act right or wrong(what is bullshit in fact cuz your ears accomodate to the mistakes so makes your pauses ) .

leave some comments if you wanna have more explanation

have a nice day

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. ImperceptiveSociety

ImperceptiveSociety Newbie

thanks for this. ill definately be using this for reference!

14. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

This is a great thread so thanks to all the wonderful people that have contributed. :mates:
    As dogboy pointed out it's important to relate frequencies to notes and octaves in order to have precision in cutting and boosting. Otherwise it's like jerking off, it gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere. :rofl:

15. LunaX

LunaX Member

hi, any tips for headphone mixing? like for ex. how to reduce sub-bass muddiness and buzzing highs? i generally follow the rules for mixing meant for monitors even though I mix with a headphone,,

16. RAIN_MAN

RAIN_MAN Newbie

Killer tips in here. Thanks all! Plan to use them.

17. SonicBoomer

SonicBoomer Producer

Excellent post mate. Will help a ton of people who aren't familiar with the info. :wink:

18. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

mastering tips :

bounce : highest peak around - 10db

linear phase eq : hp/lp, find resonant freqs, notch them.

drive the signal to add colour ( saturation )

compress 1-3db gr.

clip/limit

19. 2poor2

2poor2 Producer

i thought this diagram could be helpful for some of you.
    Mods, feel free to delete it, if it doesn't fit the initial thread.

[​IMG]

20. Mechanix604

Mechanix604 Kapellmeister

Here is a Video to suggest wath is going on in the chart

[​IMG]