Free upward compressor ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by shake_puig, Jul 25, 2015.

1. shake_puig

shake_puig Producer

Hello, I've been looking for an upward compressor, I only found OTT (very nice) but I can't control attack and release.

Is there an alternative that does have this mode?

Thank you.

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  4. pimpdrop

pimpdrop Ultrasonic

If you are using Ableton Live, OTT is a preset of the Multiband Compressor (The plugin is based on this preset). You can tweak the attack and release. Or maybe try copying the OTT settings with your favorite multi band compressor.

5. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

There are a few nice one's in the waves plugin bundle waves R compressor can do upward compression and waves max volume can do approach compression

• Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

i'll extended the question: Wich are the best upward compressors?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. shake_puig

shake_puig Producer

Yeah, I read about that but I'm using FL studio, I tried Ableton's multiband compressor and I would love to port it to FL but it seems not possible.

8. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

The best is subjective because each one likes different things and works better in specific material,
    So depend of taste, material style and function... test and make your judgment and create your musical personality.

9. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

It's the one(s) you try and like the best.
    Again, there are hundreds of compressors that you can run in parallel.

Oh, have Ableton (the company) fixed Live's (the software) latency problem? If not, load a compressor on the source signal (that does nothing) and load another instance of the same compressor on the parallel signal...and squash/tweak it until you have a nice balance between the two.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  10. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

So Upward compression is the "parallel compression" also know as "NY Compression"?? Aren't they differents?

11. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

They are different as moon and syphilis.

Downward compressor reduces volume above the threshold. Upward compressor boosts everything below threshold. Parallel compression is mix of clean signal with overcompressed. If you need upward compressor - why just don't use maximizer (maximus, sausage fattener, Waves One Knob Louder, Vintage Warmer, etc..) ?

OTT - means "Over The Top" compression. It's not the compression at all, it's just another FSU tool.

BTW, you can use OTT in FL and every other host. Your new beautiful-haired god from xfer did emulation of those preset. Google xfer OTT.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  12. Clandestine

Clandestine Platinum Record

NY compression just an extension of simple parallel compression. Based on same basic principle but extended and usually involves the use of EQ also after compressor. Name came from engineers using multiple compressors. Basically as far as I aware group, compression, EQ where u boost at certain frequencies, can b to taste then can return certain elements to initial group. Am sure others can into more detail :yes:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

thanks for the replay but i didn't ask about parallel stuff, wich i alrady know and use. I don't need to google OTT wich already know that too and i don't like.
    I asked to name a few real upward compressor plugins. Wich is the purpose of the all thread. Aside from Waves MaxxVolume and MV2, can anyone name a few upward compressor?? (not expander, upward compressor...)

14. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

I see.

No one will never name you any upward compressor. Because there're no any true upward compressors. And never was. All current compressors are downward.

15. davea

davea Platinum Record

Don't make a mistake about NYComp, it's a bit more than a simple parallel process:

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Clandestine

Clandestine Platinum Record

Think that's the same video I saw I think davea & I tried it a while back and it sounded great. One of the few things that way that i've tried that actually did sound good at least to my ears. Some people say it a load of nonsense but I tried it and it sounded good which was ok by me.

Have never come across a topic that confuses so many people including myself.

Mostwest i'm definitely no expert in this field but tried a few things, some have worked & other things haven't.

The only compressor I use on a regular day to day basis is a guitar box a keeley arlon prince compressor which again different but same on a very basic principle I guess.

Used in places it can make a huge difference in terms of sonic quality, ease of playing certain things wrt sustain and dynamics.

However sometimes it can sound horrible :yes:

For example used to much alongside distortion that naturally creates compression.
    Kind of sometimes creates a horrible mush of squashed stuff and totally degrades the natural sound/tone which is what u want to avoid the most, least in my book

I think with compression in general it's one of those techniques you have to try out yourself and find what you are comfortable with and what you find helpful and also like with regards to the sonic architecture. There is no definitive right or wrong I guess. If in doubt give it a go and if it sounds good then great. If it sounds bad re-work it & try again

There are many terms that are used sometimes incorrectly which adds to confusion wrt laymen in this field such as myself.

I guess possibly the best way of looking at it would be in terms of dynamic range and keep it simple.

Put simply Dynamic range is the ratio wrt the highest & lowest values of any dynamic quantity.

After that keep it simple and look at Upward Compression as a technique to be utilised rather than a which plugin can create such an effect. I say this as different people say u can achieve upward compression in many different ways using other things than a compressor. For example an expander.

In general -

Downward compression reduces loud sounds above a certain set threshold whilst the quiet sounds remain unchanged.
    Upward compression increases the loudness of sounds below a threshold while leaving louder passages unchanged.
    Parallel compression is a type of upward compression where u mix the dry signal with a heavily compressed version of the same signal.

Downward & Upward compression both reduce the dynamic range of a signal.

So to try and answer your question, well there is no definitive answer but a large number of plugins are capable of producing an upward compression.

The ones I've heard quoted most often that can create a type of upward compression are Flux Solerra II (upwards expansion/decreased dynamic range), Fab Filter Pro MB, Fab Filter Pro C (also do some good tutorials with it, explaining about dynamic range from what I remember), Izotope especially Alloy 2 that loads of people use and really good. Izotope Ozone, DMG Audio, UAD & many other plugins such as DAW plugins which often get overlooked such as Ableton Multiband.

These & many others can perform upward compression.

As pointed out already Parallel compression can be done on just about any type of compressor.

Interesting subject that causes loads of confusion including myself at times :yes:

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. shake_puig

shake_puig Producer

That was a great reading, a lot of interesting stuff. I've read about compressors which ratios can go below 1:1, so they can act like an expander and the sound achieved is quite similar as upward compression. For example Reaxcomp (multiband compressor) have ratios below 1:1. I only see Multiband compressors having this kind of ratios but not "normal" single band compressors.

I've tried Ableton Multiband and it's a great tool but only for Ableton use unfortunately, I wish there was a clone of this one to use in other DAW's (OTT is good but not as complete).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    • List
  18. davea

davea Platinum Record

Try : Rough Rider Pro from Audiodamage
    or
    Fabfilter Pro-MB

• Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  19. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

^ davea covered the one I was gonna suggest, which is Fab Pro MB.

Waves C2 does upward compression.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  20. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

For those of you with trouble remembering the difference between upward compression & expansion I brought a little gift I stole from a KVR thread.

Also Baxter may not be wrong here. Nobody thinks of it as such but parallel and upward compression may well be the same thing or very closely related. Think about it: upward compression is the act of raising low-amplitude parts of a sound while leaving the higher amplitude untouched, right? Well if you squash a signal, what you're doing is bringing up the low parts. Mixed back in with the original and - bam. Same principal as upward compression. Raised low-level signal, untouched higher level signal.

edit: look how fucking sexy the background is when you click on an attachment now. The admins really put in work.

• Like Like x 1
    • List

Attached Files:

21. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

lmao people should know better than to ask 'what is the best ---' on an audio forum. I tried this when I was new. I always got wishy washy answers like this :rofl:

Btw Baxter Live did fix their PDC problem -- more or less. Automation is fixed. Apparently plugs that sync to the transport are still not properly compensated. At least that was the last that I read. I try to avoid real high CPU, high latency plugs so I rarely even notice.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • List