free tekno / acid; 170 bpm; first track in ableton (switching from fl)

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Backtired, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

i don't know if anyone around here is into this kind of music. i'm not really into it 100%, but my girlfriend loves it and she asked me to do a track in this style. quite simple, there's a main acid line and some orgasm sounds (from masterbits sex traxx; she didn't want to participate in it!!) and even some breaks where a hardcore kick plays.

the main point of this thread is to give my experience from fl studio to ableton though.

i really like the session view, as you have absolutely everything on one screen and it's very easy and quick to get your idea going. but at the same time, i find it a bit weird that if i want to cut an audio file, i need to put it into arrangement view, cut it there, and then bring it back.
    as i'm used to fl studio workflow, i was VERY confused when i didn't understand why my clips weren't updating when i changed only one... well, ableton live doesn't have ghost clips/whatever they are called. if i change one, that's the only one that change. i'm still on the fence on this one, since i make mainly electronic music and i'm scared that i might leave something somewhere where it doesn't belong and not notice... anyway, the ghost clips: it's not a big problem anymore. after a week i got used to the commands and copying/pasting into the arrangement view is an absolute pleasure. you can even choose to copy the automations. and about automations... they are so easy to manage..
    as you can hear from the track, i'm not a mixing expert at all, so i usually help myself by throwing a VPS Scope (analyzer) on the master, and then simply soloing tracks and having a quick look. i couldn't find a way to do this in live: every single time i have to click on the Master bus. i know there's an option that lets plugin be "floaty", but that works on ALL plugin and it's kinda boring.
    at the start it was a COMPLETE nightmare working with the piano roll, but i soon got used to it. even worse, was the window management thing: closing and opening the piano roll. well luckily i got quickly used to this as well: shift + tab!! also, moving around with the cursor, you have no idea how many times i still get confused...

i feel that with enough time, i can easily get comfortable with it.
    edison, and how well it was implemented in fl, is dearly missed.

overall, i think i'm going to stick with live for now. and i haven't even talked about the stock stuff, it's quite amazing.

cheers

3. mondomorte

mondomorte Producer

I've been to some fun free tekno / french tek parties. Sometimes the music is beyond cheesy but there was a lot of good stuff in the 90s, especially the dutch with guys like Mononom! Anyway, the track sounds good. The acid line is dope! Lots of fun!

4. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Sounds way better than FL :rofl: (sorry, couldn't resist).

Right, ghost copies are great for some genres, no doubt.

Nice track/work, good luck with your new DAW. :like: