Free Software To Transcode 30fps video to 60fps using interpolation

Discussion in 'Software' started by korniceman3000, Apr 30, 2024.

1. korniceman3000

korniceman3000 Ultrasonic

Hi and thanks for reading

I'm wondering if anyone knows any alternative software similar to SmoothVideo Project that allows you to convert a 30fps video to 60fps through interpolation to get that smooth video appearance.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
  3. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

The SmoothVideo Project webpage says there's a file-to-file converter available with the installation pkg:

4. korniceman3000

Thanks. My apologies, I didn't phrase my post correctly. I meant if there was an alternative software similar to smoothvideo project that could convert from 30 to 60fps with smoothing interpolation. The reason I ask was because I was about to buy SVP 4 Pro before the trial expired until I found out it would be a program registered through a server in China and I didn't feel comfortable with my credit card info being sent and processed online overseas...

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Have you seen true physical results of what this thing claims it can do? If not, I would simply lump it in with all the other snake-oil remedies out there that are claiming one thing or another. Truth be told is most of these things only hint at what they claim they can do with marginal results. SVP is cracked - you might try that first before throwing any ca$h at it. Other than that Adobe Media Encoder might be a better bet since it doesn't rely on "player plugin's" (a most dodgy affair) and will recode a new video file playable in any player.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. BlossomwoodsCollection

BlossomwoodsCollection Ultrasonic

handbrake?

7. BasedPirate

BasedPirate Ultrasonic

8. korniceman3000

I have been using the trial demo for about a week so far and it does give incredible results. When I used a good quality 24 fps clip of anime and transcoded it using one of 60fps x264 codecs it gives a very smooth hq motion interpolation so it does work wonders. My main hesitation is because of where they process the payment...

I wanted to try flowframes badly as I've seen some amazing results on youtube.
    Unfortunately my laptop doesn't meet the GPU requirements as they need a modern Nvidia GPU (750 Ti, 900/1000/1600/2000/3000/4000 Series) and I have an AMD Radeon R6 (-__-)...

I also really wanted to try FreeGui v2.2 which also gives amazing results from yt videos but that also requires Nvidia GPU. Not sure what SVP Pro 4 needs but they can use my ordinary/relatively weak video card and processor and somehow deliver some amazing results while keeping my cpu at no higher than 30% during the entire encoding...

Unfortunately, I was told that handbrake can't do motion interpolation because it isn't compatible/doesn't support AviSynth or VapourSynth which is needed to get that smooth 60fps+ look

Last edited: May 1, 2024
  9. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

10. bwzrd

bwzrd Producer

Maybe Topaz AI Video is worth a go.

[Edit] Oh you said FREE, I missed that, Topaz is free if you know where to look, but not legitimately.

Last edited: May 2, 2024
  11. BasedPirate

BasedPirate Ultrasonic

If you don't have strong GPU then have you tried online sites?
    https://www.media.io/ai-video-frame-interpolation.html
    https://www.veed.io/tools/video-frame-rate-converter
    https://www.flexclip.com/tools/video-frame-rate-converter/

12. forart.it

forart.it Member

13. korniceman3000

WOW!! Thank you!! That is certainly a vast amount of resources!! Much appreciated!! I will definitely try some of them and see how it goes. Currently downloading enhancr since it is java based as I have no idea what python is. Will also try the Google-Colab Notebooks! Hopefully I understand the instructions as I am very bad with technical details especially when it comes to understanding coding related things

14. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Wait a min. You're talking then of live interpolation ? Not file to file interpolation (encoding)

15. korniceman3000

I am talking of encoding/re-encoding file from 30 fps to 60fps+ :D It's just that many of the software have requirements that exceed my laptop's hardware capabilities. I'm wondering if it is absolutely necessary for the AI motion interpolation to run using a newer nvidia gpu or could weaker non-nvidia video cards also work but at a slower less efficient pace.

Last edited: May 3, 2024
  16. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Producer

Try Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve, the basic version is free. It has a very good frame interpolation called "Optical Flow - Speed Warp" I use to convert between 50p and 60p. And it's also one of the most advanced NLEs.

17. korniceman3000

Thank you!! Will certainly try this one. In the process of downloading DaVinci Resolve version 18.6.6 Hopefully my laptop has the necessary software and hardware requirements as this program looks insanely powerful!!

18. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Producer

And it is! If you are downloading a "version" of the sister site, take the 18.6.5, the 18.6.6 is not ok. But be aware that you need a good GPU, as most processing is done on the GPU. And especially the "speed warp" process is very RAM consuming and slow, but the quality is very good! For FHD you need at least 4GB VRAM, for 4K 8GB VRAM.

19. korniceman3000

Apparently my laptop is too old as it won't allow me to install LOL.