Fragments in sci-fi and space horror

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by jennyblack, Sep 28, 2024.

1. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

Hello everyone,
    This is vol. 4 of my incidental series releases - themes, songs and just noises for sci-fi, space horror soundtracks, mainly inspired by early electronic music.

Hope you have a good trip (as usual with the incidental music series):

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 5
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Perfectly in time for Halloween!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

Now free to download at:

Good trip to you all!!!! (beware! the outer space is not for the faint-hearted!)

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Thank you) @jennyblack

By the way, the vastness of Space is nothing to those of us who grew up playing Space Invaders :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

You are welcome my friend. May the force be with the kids who did not!

PS: totally agree: if you dealt with those octopus headed alien monsters as a kid, nothing else will make you scared outside the bondaries of our solar system!

PS2: my favorite (as a kid too) was Moon Patrol (and Hero).

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Sylenth.Will.Fall

I'd not heard of moon patrol so I went and looked it up... Cute game.

If you're interested, I can show you how to set it up on your computer so you can play the original arcade version whenever you want.

My favourite to watch was 'Dragon's Lair,' but to play was' Defender.'

8. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

the entire universe could be contained in a cathode ray tube back in those days. quantum mechanics had nothing on Philo Farnsworth..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Sylenth.Will.Fall

And life in general was a lot simpler too.

10. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

Thank you!!!! I have an Atari 2600 emu that I set up for my kid (and myself lol) - Stella, I think (and some others up to Nintendo 64). If that is the one, I am set. If you need roms, pm me that I got loads!

11. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

Batocera and roms is like a time machine...

• Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Yep, that's one of them. lol It seems you are in the know too. MAME is pretty good as well.

It does take you back to being a kid again dont it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

Oh my...!!!!!! Did not know about this one!!! Thanks for mentioning!

14. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Just listening to this now. I'm really digging the second track (around 3:25 ish). Love that drum beat, and the fluttery lead synth is so beautiful. This is great stuff!! Do you use hardware or is this all VSTis? More details :)

I would seriously add that second track to my *Spotify playlist for electronic stuff if it was on there (just stuff I personally listen to on the regular).

Im at 10:05 now.. and ohhhhh im fucking loving the start of this one too. Love the dissonance.

LIVE REACTIONS CONTINUE.. lol This album is just straight fire. Loving it.

@27:05, is that you Ennio Morricone :rofl:Very cool..

Man, this album is very pro. It's both inspiring and deflating to me.. inspiring because I'm like "I want to make music like this.. just whatever random thoughts are in my head.. not locked into mainstream genres", and deflating because reality sets in that I'm so far from being able to do that! Creatively unique ideas of mine eventually morph into stuff that sounds too generic when I expand on the original idea.

Great stuff on this album though. Loved it from start to finish.

* - I know Spotify sadly rips artists off, but it's just the easiest way for me to listent to all the music I love.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2024
  15. vladimir guerrero

vladimir guerrero Producer

this is great. synths are expressive, it's like wailing exotica library music, and the way some of those zaps zip around is just very nice. is that climbing up the walls around 9 minutes? in general i like the slight tonal sourness

16. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

So glad you liked it! Thanks for listening and for the detailed feedback! It means a lot! Really!

Some info: most of the sounds used are from the Minilogue (hardware) - but I also used some vsts like the softube 72 and modular. The last two tracks (the morricone inspired one and the last) I just used vsts (M1, Xpand! and mainly Vital on the last). The processing was all in the box (ableton).

PS: I really hope it inspires your creative side!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2024
    • List
  17. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

Thanks!!! Man, just had a listen now and have to admit that I unconsciously put a Radiohead line there and did not even notice!! Lol! Well, I love them since forever, so... that this be a little homage to what they mean to me! Lol!

18. vladimir guerrero

you did a good job of completely recontextualizing the melody. it came out sounding kinda like depeche mode + bbc workshop, pretty rad

19. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Glad to provide feedback, and yah for sure this album has inspired me. And thanks for the info on hardware/software you used! Much appreciated.

BTW, since you mentioned Radiohead, I didn't really listen to them all until maybe the past year, but I really like them a lot. I'd actually say I'm a metalhead first and foremost, and listen to a lot of different electronic music (as far from the mainstream / EDM stuff as I can get though), but I'll listen to anything besides country and pop.

Anyways, I liked a couple Radiohead tunes, but never really listened to them, because I figured they were probably too pop for me, when really they have some quite out there stuff that is anything but pop. I started listening to them more because of a theory channel on YouTube, David Bennett Piano. I got to listen to some of their more complex songs and DBP would do breakdowns about what makes them so unusual.

Since then I've tried to put some of that weirdness into my own music.. I think I've managed to, but in short bursts.. like I said earlier, my tracks tend to start weird, different and fun and then the more I spend on them, the more they start to deviate toward generic. I think I just need to worry less about writing tunes that are 4 or 5+ mins long or less about having a certain structure to them!

20. vladimir guerrero

I've played this all the way through now, and I think you're onto something. it's filmic and full of good melody- both old and new without sounding like a retread of anything particular. I really like a lot of your synth work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  21. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

I myself am a rocker at heart - guitar is my main instrument, and started to really enjoy music in the late 80ies and early 90ies because of Simon and Garfunkel, Guns'n'Roses, Faith No More, The Doors, Pink Floyd and the alternative rock scene (Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Primus, Mr. Bungle, NIN, Ministry, etc). But I have always been fond of some eletronic music also - not mainstream EDM, but things that played on the radio in the 80ies like Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, etc, and then more alternative ones like Tricky, Portishead, Massive Attack, Bjork, Underworld. Then I also got interested in Tangerine Dream, Wendy Carlos, Delia Derbyshire, Kraftwerk... I used to play guitar in a trio that eventually became a duo and we had no drummer... so I used to program a boss dr-05 to play drums and some keys on stage and studio... Even when we did not want we ended up sounding "electronic" in some way lol

Last edited: Oct 14, 2024
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List