Found Instruments... From The Trash, Cobbled Together From Scraps or Not For Intended Use

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by superliquidsunshine, Aug 3, 2016.

1. I'm sure that there are lots of people that have found instruments in the trash that others have thrown away, or have discovered odd bits of stuff here and there and have cobble them together to create musical instruments that never had existed before. It might be educational to see as well as hear some of these cool things that the community has come up with. And as a side, how about those instruments that you have bought for wayyyy below what the cost should be or have been given as a gift that you would never have been able to afford, like for instance a Moog Voyager bought at a boot sale for €25 or a Steinway Grand from your neighbor who won the lotto.

3. This past weekend I was at a thrift store and found a beautiful hand carves gourd from Africa somewhere. It still had a bunch of gourd debris inside, and after using a bunch of different sticks and a piece of metal from a hanger from a dry cleaning store, found that if I hit it in a certain place and mic'd it just right with the correct microphone, in this case a Gebell m930 (other mics just didn't do it justice) I could get a really nice deep button kick sound. I will post a sound file later as just noticed the time and need to get my dog to the vet, but here is a few photos for now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List