Foscurite Scarlett Alone Studio + compressor

Discussion in 'Software' started by music2013, Mar 19, 2015.

1. music2013

music2013 Ultrasonic

3. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

You can connect what ever you like in your signal chain, if is that what you mean...

:excl: But beware of one thing about this interface, this Hi-Z input (for connecting guitars and basses straight into interface)
    has small dynammic range, what that mean, it means that if you have HOT guitar output it will clip even if gain knob is on full left, on 0 value.

Except that it is a really solid interface for that price.

4. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

no,
    compressors gates most dynamic processors require inserts

effects use lines

(line out and back in)

you basically need more i/o

5. dipje

dipje Ultrasonic

focusrite alone?!

Ah, solo... you used a translator or something?

Anyway, the answer is 'no' and kind of a weird question to ask. The Solo Bundle is a very very cheap starter pack, yet you ask if you can use an outboard compressor with it?! That's kinda like buying a $200 car but then putting $4000 worth of tires on it or something, doesn't really make sense :).

If you have outboard gear that is mono, it has one input and one output. That means your interface must have one line-in input and one line-out output _Extra_ (besides the regular outputs for your monitors/speakers/headphones). If it was a stereo compressor you would need two line-in's and two line-out's.

As you see from the pictures you posted, the Scarlett Solo has _no_ extra line-out's, only the two used for your speakers. So no, no compressor or outboard gear.

In _theory_ you could make the Scarlett 2i4 work. It has more outputs so you could use some for the outboard gear... but the outputs are a mix of balanced and unbalanced, and use RCA plugs and normal jack-plugs. Not ideal and you would have to get some adapters.

The first device to really use outboard gear with is the Scarlett 6i6 from the looks of it. It has two line-in's on the back plus two _extra_ line-out's on the back, easy to use as insert for outboard gear. And then you still have the front connectors unused in case you want to plug something in and multiple headphone mixes. The Saffire Pro 14 also has the required back connectors (I use one) but it's firewire, not USB, which might cause a lot of issues so take care.

6. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

A very limited "yes". This interface looks like it has a TRS/Inst. 1/4" input on the front. Switch that input to "Line," and you can plug the comp into it and use it for tracking, but you would need an external preamp (w/ DI) to go before the compressor to record vocals and guitars/bass/synths. Not recommended as a mixing outside the box interface. Might be possible to do it mionitoring w/ headphones......but, I don't like that scenerio.

I don't recommend this audio interface solely based on the lack of growth and expandability. It looks like a good deal for someone who's just getting into recording and doesn't know what a compressor is yet. :)

Maybe look at the next biggest model in the Scarlett line.

7. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

*no* I don't get why he can't hook a mic up tru a compressor

8. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

These and Presonus have the Top notch Mic Pre-amps built in opposed to others over 1000 dollar Price Tag So good choice, and yes you can put any into signal chain Compressor Eq Ect...

Actually pair this up with a Golden Age Preamp and a Rode Nt1a its comparable using a neve, neuman in the Studio big bang for the buck

9. music2013

music2013 Ultrasonic

Then. Which Audio Interface recommend me to connect the compressor AUTOCOM PRO-XL MDX1600? http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MDX1600.aspx

[​IMG]