For those that use cracked VSTs, how do you deal with all the malware?

Discussion in 'Software' started by dorian7lc, Oct 30, 2020.

1. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Added to my 'list' (post #64). [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

In this stupid, pc psy-op world now, I have to say "hick" is slang for 'red-neck/hillbilly', so best to use the accepted 'hiccup' for the word 'hiccough'. High-cough.

3. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

I mean I already buy my salad from McDonalds so I might aswell do that too
    Same and it was because I coded malware myself and forgot to turn on antivir afterwards :hahaha:
    I was the biggest brainlet, but to my defense the infected file was an uninstaller of a game like who expects that

4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I actually download every year the new Kaspersky Internet security from warez sites :rofl:
    But it's not as crazy as it sounds. That beast has an incredible self-check mechanism. I'm not even talking about the self-defense setting.
    If you activate it successfully via internet there's no way it can be infected (I use the trial-reset hack)
    I can't top that one :lmao::lmao::lmao::hahaha:

5. livemouse

livemouse Producer

I have been seeing that term a lot "crack" in context with software and For a while I thought it was a metaphor for the drug. A friend told me it was in fact software so I decided to try one. I downloaded an audio effect called "crack" and tried it out. It was free of course but very difficult to install and It didn't seem to do anything so I uninstalled it so no crack for me thanks anyway.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Can't top that one either for completely different reasons. I feel like only badly drunk, wasted and faded could get to understand the logic :rofl:

7. Justin-Cydeher

Justin-Cydeher Kapellmeister

Just read that the waves 13 was repacked with a terminal command for mac that erases the whole internal drive, locked wifi up making it impossible to shut off all while sending ilok info back to a source in Sweden…hmmm

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

so if it "erased the hard drive", how does the person claim to know where the ilok data was sent?

I'll gladly install it to test, as long as it formats the hd for me after installing waves 13. :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

What malware? also what AV?

Why do people associate cracked software with malware? So stupid.
    You can download a normal setup from a legit place and it can also be infected or have malware in it.

10. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

->
    and in this case, which source (site)? Again, no live link to warez or screenshot that can be OCR's easily.

11. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

Run Malwarebytes, it catches many of the malwares that regular AVs won't.

12. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I just read that the moon is made of cheese.
    I just read that Kim Kardashian's ass is made of cheese.
    I just read that the password to Alan Parsons' Twitter account password is 'cheese'.
    I read it. I believe.

PS..i am just kidding about the moon thing..

13. OBKenobi

OBKenobi Producer

Sister and Russian cousin catches any problems almost immediately. The power of herd immunity. You do not need Bill Gates virus antivirus.

14. Ambar

Ambar Producer

Downloading from trusted sources/crackers and from trusted places, every leecher or torrent sites have a chance to fill up your computer with malware.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  15. genophyte

genophyte Producer

symlink arguments with google translate to english are hilarious sometimes though

16. Justin-Cydeher

if no one can share a Link there is no point I posting it here then...all I can say is that its a Russian site, 8 people had this issue where their drives where wiped due to a terminal command repacked in the waves 13( the original has no terminal command ) I used google chrome to translate it..

I am not surprised at all, one person had a hard drive to test stuff and re installed from a aback up and related the command line again while recording a video, sudo rm -rf / Library / Application \ Support / Waves / WavesLocalServer

If you add sudo to the rm -rf command, you are deleting files with root power.

I used chrome to translate the Russian to English... I guess any terminal command can fool the average person as most don't know what they are.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  17. Justin-Cydeher

I see your point and understand your lack of knowledge with the Apple - Linux system.

You can erase your whole library folder yet anything open will run as normal until you restart.,

The command line added to a waves 13 package was this,
    sudo rm -rf / Library / Application \ Support / Waves / WavesLocalServer

also
    sudo rm -rf /Library/Application\ Support/Waves/WavesLocalServer
    or
    killall WavesLocalServer & rm -rf /Library/Application\ Support/Waves/WavesLocalServer

It appears to just be a way to remove the WAVES local Server, but it did allot more once people used them.

If you add sudo to the rm -rf command, you are deleting files with root power.

The site digital ocean dot com explains these tricks as well

18. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Live links are not allowed, but you can type it differently, for instance audiozdotdownload. :winker:

19. Justin-Cydeher

that link is just to explain the sudo command line

Its a Russian site, as I said you need google translate on, I am not into cracked stuff but I am interested in how to protect my machine from developers who are skilled at it.

20. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

Old topic, old question, but I also noticed A LOT of producers that were """forced""" to go legit because they had plenty of issues with malwares, etc. These people are basically ignorant when it comes to the digital world and the whole notion that cracked software is SUPER dangerous, will steal your data, kill your brother and caress your mother comes (in great part) from these people. No one deals with malware if they know what they're doing.

There's always the chance, I'm not saying that it doesn't happens, but its derisory in my experience.