For Now [Dubstep]

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by wealldie, Nov 16, 2011.

1. wealldie

wealldie Newbie

Hi,

This is my first original song i've made. This is a rough mix. I will now take some time of from this track to get some perspective. Meanwhile I would really appreciate any feedback on mixing/composition.

http://soundcloud.com/wealldied/for-now-roughmix

3. audiochemist

audiochemist Newbie

OK,where do we start.First off i can hear that you are new to the whole producer thing,which is cool we where all at that point.
    Second,don't make the mistake of trying to get a song on the net as fast as you can,even a work in progress, its better to have a friend take a listen
    and tell you what they think.thirdly you have to start processing your sounds more,don't just use stock presets,tweak them then process them,layer and layer and then layer some more.You have to make a song interesting and exciting.The listener needs to constantly feel like they are being sonically ambushed.Dubstep is all about the bass,i produce dubstep,so i can tell you that your first song just doesn't have the balls,if you know what i mean.For instance,try layering two types of reese bass,then a sub,then start throwing your wobbles in over them,and remember the only way we learn is through constant practice and making mistakes,as well as in your case perhaps,watching some youtube tutorials.

Hope i helped you out,and keep on pushing yourself!!!!!

don't give up.

4. caspertheunholyghost

caspertheunholyghost Newbie

I have to agree with a lot of what audiochemist said. I also feel that you need to use the eq to make room for each of your sounds because to me it feels like they are all fighting to be heard and makes your mix at times sound muddy and cluttered. Also I think you should really re mix the whole song because it sounds like you have everything as loud as they can be and they are fighting each other to be heard. I don't mean remix the song just redo your mixing. What I usually do once I have my song laid out I put all of my volume faders down to nothing and start with the drums and slowly bring in each individual part just enough to be heard but do not max them out. This way they each can sit in their own space. Once you're happy with the drums move on to the bass and make sure that it sits well with the drums. I continue to do this with each aspect of the song until you have all the volume levels where they should be. Use your ears to pan each individual track also so that you have a good soundstage and imagine as if you were at a concert and was able to hear where each individual instrument is on the stage. You should be able to do this with all of your sounds. Just remember that the bass drum and bass usually sit in the center of the mix and everything else is usually panned a little to one side or the other and some are in the front and others sound as they they sit further back in the mix. This is usually done with reverb to push an instrument further back in a mix. I think your overall song is good but I have to agree with chemist that it seems to be lacking the balls that dubstep has and if you clean things up you should be able to achieve this a little bit better. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE is what we all either had to do or are still doing to create a good song. It's like learning to ride a bike and it is not something you just learn how to do the first time you picked it up but you had to practice to be able to ride without training wheels and eventually you are able to do tricks because if it was easy then everyone would have a gold record. Watch some youtube and keep practicing and you will make this song better and better but just keep at it and DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!!! If you got any questions pm me and I would be glad to help you out if I can and good luck. Don't take any of this advice and think badly about it, take this advice and grow from it and make your song shine above the rest!!!!!!!!! If you could please let me know when you have changed your song because I would love to hear what your final mixdown will sound like!!!!!!!!

5. wealldie

wealldie Newbie

Firstly, thx for the long reply guys!

I thought I had a crack with this one, but lol! I agree on lot of things both of you said. The track needs balls, not just the upperbody parts. I guess it affects a little my mix cos im mixing on stereo speakers, but im getting my first monitors this weekend so I will revisit the mix then. Have to check out some vids about layering synths also.