For anyone updating ESET Products (The dreaded 3 red network/firewall issues)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Sylenth.Will.Fall, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Have you ever encountered what they are experiencing here:-

https://forum.eset.com/topic/11512-eset-10-network-protection-problems/

Well I have seen this appear several times over the years, both on my PC, and online, happening to lots of other people.
    Years ago I asked on their forum if there was a fix for it and got an absolute 'pig' of a response, therefore I am posting it HERE instead!

After you shut your pc down, simply remove the cable from your router* (the Cat5/6 cable that runs to your computer) Now boot up the router and your pc, and after everything is ready to go. Just connect the cable back and viola, no more issues!

* please note, you only have to break the circuit, so just remove the end that is easier for you.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  3. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Sorry, never seen that issue in action.
    Probably because since 2008 I stopped using ESET after it silently installed kernel extension and quietly loaded my CPU to 100% most of the time while hiding behind system services.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Damn. That's never happened to me! Is it possible you never set it up securely enough?

5. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

It was on WinXP - I noticed that process called SYSTEM took suspiciously more memory - 59MB and utilized CPU while idle.
    That was even after deactivating ESET service and removing agent from startup - something that safely turned off NOD32 in 2nd version. This was the "new" 3rd version, so I reverted back and after awhile removed it completely.
    Since then, I run CureIt scans occasionally and never found any major infection since 2008.

6. Sylenth.Will.Fall

I understand why you would do things that way after the anti virus rather letting you down, but something I use and I think you might benefit from is Shadow Defender*.
    It works by taking a snapshot of your computer when you boot up, and all you work on whilst your computer is running, is that snapshot. As soon as you close your computer down, every change you make goes. Then when you start up again, it takes another snapshot , and all you ever do is work on a discardable snapshot.

* http://www.shadowdefender.com/

If you're interested I can pm you a key

7. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

[​IMG]

Last time i did something with this "tray icon" was about 3 years ago. Never had any problems. Weird.

8. Sylenth.Will.Fall

It happens when people update. Not always, but sometimes. You're using Version 9 ? Version 10 is out now, so think before you update it!

9. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record