Foobar2000 Still A Thing?

Discussion in 'Mobile' started by Lois Lane, May 12, 2023.

1. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I'd like to install a player in a DAC/Player I just got to take advantage of the ability to EQ which the unit doesn't afford me. I have PowerAmp on my phone, and even though I enjoy it's features such as the preamp and good EQ it is a bit quirky sometimes. People speak of Foobar as being or having been very nice, but is it still good to go or has it succumbed to suckiness?

Thanks...Lois

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Foobar2000 is still good and light on resources, but nowadays I prefer JRiver as you can load VST's into the fx chain, so I use plugins such as Morphit, CanOpener, Realphones & Sienna, etc.

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Recoil ✪

Recoil ✪ Platinum Record

I haven't seen a prettier free player yet :yes:
    [​IMG]

5. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

I still use Foobar. I've tried many others over the years but I keep going back to Foobar because it's simple. I don't need database features because I have my music sorted in folders on my drive, many thousands of them. All I really need is a basic player with a tabbed interface for favourite artistes. I mostly just browse by folder. Check out the plugins for it and interface layouts too, it's very configurable.

I used to do web design and the biggest lesson I learned was not to get in the way of the content, not to distract from it - a lot of these pretty players have distractive interfaces, it's like the content is an afterthought.

6. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

There are a couple of new tabs open with bits and pieces in them, it seems very disorganised but it really isn't - because accessing my music through folders is so easy I don't usually need to create playlists but it's sometimes convenient to add files from songs I'm working on to a temporary playlist.

Foobar.jpg

7. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

Another thing I like about Foobar is I've never had a problem with it for decades now - in fact I never consider updating it but just have as it's reached 2.0, currently indexing my files. Clean as a whistle.

8. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

I'm using it to use Equalizer APO as a substitute to Sonarwork.

Sonarwork introduce some digital noise here and Equalizer APO doesn't so I use Foobar2000 to set it up as a system wide correction.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Crinklebumps nailed it, but it should be mentioned that I love Foobar also because there are all kinds of plugins available and amongst others great Sox SRC, ASIO and VST. Everything is possible with Foobar. Since I'm on Linux, I use Audacious nowadays which is very similar to Foobar, without stupid unnecessary bling that's just impeding player's functionality and organisation which should always be top priority.

So yes, Foobar2000 is I think the best player for Windows, especially for musicians since you can easily SRC samples in very good quality with it, hear it in Reaper through Reaper ASIO driver and tag songs and samples easily with it, too. I keep hearing good things about db Poweramp, too, but I just never got around to using it.

10. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

I used foobar2000 for about a decade, then moved to AIMP on both Windows and Android. I like both, but prefer AIMP because themes require zero setup and never break.

11. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

foobar supports vst's too

12. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I never got them to work before. What version are you looking at? I'm quite adapted to JRiver as it's easy to drag n drop new albums into the database, and it's quite functional.

13. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

2.0 is out with lots of features, improvements, fixes... It is now x64
    2.1 beta is already under development since May, 9

14. dondada

dondada Rock Star

15. pratyahara

pratyahara Rock Star

Foobar is a good player, but it's not among the best sounding ones. Winamp is better in that respect, as well as a couple of other players (free and paid).
    It is reliable for streaming audio. It's also good for tag editing and has some useful functions like 'remove replay gain' from tags, etc. For reasons unknown it doesn't support pls playlist format although more than 30 other players support it. foobar natively uses its own playlist format fpl. It is readable only by foobar and can not be edited with Notepad.

16. Demloc

Demloc Platinum Record

I don't know any another free player that can give all this info in a single screen.

upload_2023-5-13_1-6-1.png

• Like Like x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  17. Demloc

Demloc Platinum Record

Thanks for the heads up!

18. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Thanks for all your responses. I should have mentioned it though foolishly omitted that DAC/player is a standalone gadget from Shanling called M3 Ultra which is running on Android. I'm using it to listen on earbuds while on the road instead of using my phone using PowerAmp, also with (I'm finding the new Shure 1840 I have are freaking awesome). There's no want or need to EQ the headphones but for the sound signature of the Final B1 earbuds I'm enjoying I wish to cut some bottom end a bit and push the high a skosh. It seems as if Foobar is pretty much what I'll install and see how it goes. Thanks again.

19. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

tried about a year ago on some ~1.9 version worked ok
    you need https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_vst3 component

20. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

this component will help you with PLS files https://github.com/stengerh/foo_pls_writer/releases/tag/v0.1.1
    more info here: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,104077.0.html

21. MdB

MdB Guest

you can do it with foobar too