Focusrite VRM Box

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by SAiNT, Jun 11, 2011.

1. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPzp9WUM02s&feature=related
    [​IMG]
    With VRM Box, you can mix in your studio, wherever you are. Pocket sized and built to last, VRM Box places Focusrite’s proven and patent-pending VRM – Virtual Reference Monitoring – technology in a robust, palm-sized audio interface.

VRM overcomes the major obstacle for mixing with headphones by giving you multiple perspectives on your mix, as if you were listening through speakers. Indeed, noise levels from mixing through speakers can make it impossible for most to mix at home, especially late at night; with VRM, you can mix any time, anywhere. Using any pair of monitoring headphones, VRM lets you choose your mixing environment from a living room, a bedroom studio, or a professional studio. You then simply choose from a list of industry-standard studio monitors and speakers

VRM Box delivers audio quality worthy of your headphones. Boasting a dynamic range of 108dB, it provides a sound that’s more precise, with lower distortion, than other low-cost audio interfaces, and far superior to built-in laptop headphone outputs.

VRM Box functions as a high-quality 24- bit/48kHz USB audio playback interface. So, whether you're mixing, creating music or simply listening to tracks, VRM Box is perfect. What’s more, there’s no need for a power supply or batteries, because it gets all the power it needs, with full audio quality, from your computer’s USB port. VRM Box also features a digital (S/PDIF) input, which supports sample rates up to 192kHz. This allows you to run it in conjunction with your Pro Tools HD system, or any other interface with an S/PDIF output.

- Read More!
    - Buy Some

I was absolutely fascinated by this little thing that Atarikid has showed to us in his thread!

does anyone else using them?
    what's your opinion?
    do you have any real comparisons with studio environment (or at least blind tests)?

it just happens that i don't use my Yamaha HS50M a lot lately, and when i will need monitors, i'd rather go with HS80 + sub.. so, maybe i should just sell them and buy VRM Box?

what do you think?

3. geiar

geiar Noisemaker

Since (or because...) I do most mixing and mastering tasks with headphones, I've been considering this little box myself.
    My local music shop might be able to lend me one for testing so if they do I'll report back.

4. SAiNT

i guess you can get it much cheaper on eBay.. :dunno:
    i'd get it, like now, for 50$..

5. geiar

geiar Noisemaker

That for sure.. but on E-Bay you cannot try before you buy... or can you (never used e-bay in my life...)?

6. SAiNT

JayAr, no, you can't *no*
    and i really think you should dig into eBay :wink:

7. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

Told him many times already :rofl:

Just mentioned it in the other thread...

There is also a Plug-In which is supposed to do the same, the 112dB Redline Monitor; haven't tried it yet, though.

And this interface has the VRM Technology already built in, should somebody consider the VRM Box, but also needs an interface:
    http://www.focusrite.com/products/audio_interfaces/saffire_pro_24_dsp/

8. geiar

geiar Noisemaker

By now you should have learned that I never listen to good advice.. :bleh:
    Anyway.. I have the Redline plugs.. it is not the same.. it does not give you a choice of different speakers or rooms to choose from.. instead, it has a number of controls to make the sound "close" to that of room monitors.. like left/right centre balace etc.

9. Atarikid

Atarikid Newbie

First time I heared of it I was very sceptical about it. It wasnt untill I encountered it at the big Dewulf studio I did take this box seriously.
    But man, was I in for a surprise. I have about 20 years of studio experience and I can call myself a good to very good trained audio engineer for mastering.
    But I can safely say I am now even better at it with the VRM box. Seriously, it is remarkably easy to spot wrong or overlapping frequencies.
    All mixes I have done lately are much more transparent and balanced. Especially for d'n'b and dubstep tracks it can help you getting it all together much better.
    Offcourse you need to have very good headphone. I use the KRK 8300 which very nice build and easy on the ears.

I can not recommend the VRM box enough.
    And no I do not work or related to Focusrite ;)

10. JJudge

JJudge Newbie

I have used the 112db Redline Monitor for a while and can say that it has helped my mixing.

There is another one out called TB Isone that allows you to select for diffrent pairs of speakers. A net-friend says it kicks 112db rear, and that it is VERY close to the VRM box, but since I have not heard either one I can not say for sure either way....

VNoPhones is a discontinued product, and one of the first I found years ago. It's a little finicky to set up, but overall it can give you a good alternative impression of your mix. The other one is called HDPHX from Refined Audiometrics Labratory. I just went to grab a link but it looks like the site is still down, a search might bring up a download location.

11. geiar

geiar Noisemaker

I have used the TB Isone too.. didn't like what it did. It seemed impossible for me to find the "right" setting.. whatever that might be..

12. johnpaulgrim

johnpaulgrim Newbie

Hey, I bought this VRM box from amazon.com the day it came out, needless to say I was super excited since I saw it at NAMM this year, but once I had it for a couple hours the box was a big, big, Big let down.

Dont get me wrong it does do what it is made for, and the emmulations are pretty spot on,
    BUT It adds way too much confusion to the mix, like I found myself baffled for hours trying to find a right speaker, and room type, then the things it will make you do to your mix..... jeeze its very overwhelming.

All in all it does do what it was marketed as, but the support from focusrite is pretty fuckin grim, they don't really tell you what to listen for, like my main problem is they don't give you any reference material like "When you use the studio setup with a pair of Rock-it speakers listen for the low-end, these speakers are known for bas driven mixes" and so on and so fourth,

Oh and the fact that you either connect it by USB or S/PDIF, I use pro tools 9 with an 003 rack and Eleven rack and an AXE-fx , and my Mac is pretty balls to the wall in terms of Ram and such but once my session tries to use the vrm box connected by s/pdif the words "Total Halt" echoes through my headphones. and the USB connection offers a GROSS delay, but if you want to use this and have little to NO plug-ins running in your session then by all means this little black box just might be for you, Oh and of course if you have a found memory and have used all the speakers they have emulated and know how they sound in a professional studio/ living room/ and bedroom studio, then shit! what are you waiting for you NEED THIS BOX!

:)

13. Atarikid

Atarikid Newbie

About reference:
    As with all real monitors you need to learn the one you are using, it is the same with VRM box. First hear some cds you know/like and try to get the feeling of those and that can take some time (as with real monitors).
    Then stick to that and dont switch between others until your mix is done (that is the same advice I can give you for real monitors).
    For me it works very very well. I even remixed older mixes I had done with real monitors but never got it 100% right. With the VRM box the new results were stunning.

About delay:
    On my Mac setup there is a 'delay' of 3 ms which is heu ... hmm.. almost none existent. Not sure about Windows lag though.
    Never used it with the s/pdif though.

14. biohazardzero

biohazardzero Newbie

ive tryed a few room correction programs and what not. the thruth is that you have to get used to the room and monitors you are mixing in. that or spend the money to have your room acoustic really treated!! i use jbl monitors and the room i mix in sucks!!! but with practice hit and miss mixes you'll start getting the hang of the room and your monitors.

15. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I bought the Pro24 DSP with VRM, 400 bucks... worked great until a month after warranty then crapped out on me. Focusrite only has one authorized service center in the US, and I belive only 1-2 guys working there. Didndt really matter, card was out of warranty anyway.

Would I buy another? yes... can i afford one? No... very sour on the whole thing, but have notched it up to bad luck.

Nothing quite like trying to do a serious project on a soundblaster Audigy now.... :snuffy:

16. SAiNT

the best point here is that 90% of us are not capable of building a perfect studio environment anyway, so my only wonder is why VMR Box is still not that popular :dunno:

One Reason
    hahaha, i still remember those times :lmao:

17. Batuex

Batuex Newbie

What is the problem with the Sound Blaster?
    I have installed on my system 3 sound cards: 2 Sound Blaster Live, plus 1 sound blaster audigy with live drive, interconnected via spdif running KX Asio drivers, with which I get a total of 10 simultaneous input channels (two for each sound blaster, four in the audigy, and two live drive), and frankly I'm very satisfied with the results, and is an inexpensive multi track system. :grooves:

Sorry for English: this is an automatic translation from Spanish, made with the google translator

18. Batuex

Batuex Newbie

A song made ​​to sound blasters:
    The drums recorded in 7 channels, at home in a room without any sound treatment, and with really cheap and unbranded microphones.
    The same voices.

Guitar and bass recorded by line
    keyboards are vsti

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VhNiAEmw5E

Band Name: Gansos Rusos
    That means "Russian Geese" but it sounds like Guns´n Roses :rofl:

Automatic Translation

19. Atarikid

Atarikid Newbie

FYI VRM box is not a 'room correction program'. It is only for headphones.

20. biohazardzero

biohazardzero Newbie

i know what it is, my point being that... in the end you have to just depend on your ears!

21. johnpaulgrim

johnpaulgrim Newbie

Yea sorry I was posting in a rush yesterday on my ipad so I left a few details out in my above ramble.
    Anyway I do always like to have a reference track in protools and it did help allot with the VRM box.

A couple focusrite interfaces have/had that VRM technology implemented in it, and the software that came with those had MUCH better software IMO only because you could adjust the actual speaker distance which helps out tenfold with the low-end and sub bass frequencies, for me anyway.

I really don't know why they havnt added that cool little feature to the software, in an interview I saw while waiting for the vrm box to get to me the guy said it didn't make it to the final release software but would/might in an update. BUT focusrite havnt been known to really update their shit, they usually pull a gibson(guitars) and just fix it in the next model, you know the newer, sleeker, sexier one that comes out in a different color. :)

Oh side note, I was taught a cool little trick while I was in school, It should help out anyone who is plagued by the small apartment making everything coming out of your monitors sound like straight up shit! (in nyc it cant be helped, small apartments and goddamn wooden floors everywhere you live).

**Note! Your reference track should be the song you are working on, as this trick is truly only good when your tired of working with headphones and you start to get hearing fatigue.**

- You take a SM57 place it dead center (where your head should be) pointing towards your comp screen.
    - Play a song while your SM57 track is armed and recording
    - GOOGLE SM57 FREQUENCY RESPONSE and apply your findings to an EQ plug-in then bypass the plug-in.
    - Put another EQ on the track of your reference son/Masterbus **Preferably that logic Match EQ or Ozone4 does it too Pro tools9 to my knowledge doesn't have a stock one that does this.
    - Then you apply it too the recorded sm57 track
    - Inspect the track and do some major/minor tweaking to get the EQ spectrum to match.
    -TRY keep the frequencies as flat and straight as possible.
    -Save the newly tweaked EQ as a preset KEEP IN MIND you DO NOT WANT TO OR SHOULD BE BOOSTING ANY FREQUENCY ONLY CUTTING THE ONES THAT YOU HEAR RESONATING.
    -Apply EQ and preset to your Master-bus/Master output and boom your good to go

Keep in mind this isn't a fix all" solution it is just a cool little trick that will help you out when you start to curse the salesman who sold you those damn head-blistering isolation headphones your about to snap in half.
    Also if you have no idea what I mean by keeping the frequencies as flat as possible and that you should only be cutting not boosting the frequencies, then I would highly discourage you from trying this out. It'll just cause more trouble then good.
    This is something I use everyone and again before hooking up the VRM box and it might save some people here the hundred bucks.

Oh also The delay I get from the VRM box doesn't really happen on a PC just on my mac, then again On PC i don't use Protools or just for fuckin around with Ableton or MOTU

P.S Here is a pic of the Shure SM57 Frequency response just cus I love audio z so so so much :)
    But still pissed no one has put up Amplitude 3.5 for mac yet! what the french toast! :)

[​IMG]