Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen and AKG K702 Headphones for Mixing

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Gyorgy Ligeti, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Gyorgy Ligeti

Gyorgy Ligeti Platinum Record

Hi Guys,
    I am about to purchase a new Focusrite 4i4 3rd Gen Scarlett sound card to use mainly for mixing with Pro Tools. Since I can't use the speakers in my apartment unfortunately, I mainly use AKG K702 Headphones, but is the Focusrite 4i4's amp sufficient or are the volumes too low for proper mixing? Do I need an external headphone preamp?
    Thanks in advance

3. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

If you ask me go with the new Audient id14 MKII plus the beyerdynamic dt 770, far better choice if you ask me.

The Audient's amps are top notch and they would match beautifully with the dt 770, even the 250ohm version.

4. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Best Answer
    The K702 has an impedance rating of 62-65Ω you will not have any issues driving with any modern interface. I think they are good choice for preliminary mix duty, open back, decent enough response.

However I still want to add the caveat that I don't think it is possible to finish a mix without loudspeakers. You can get close but there is usually always going to be some surprises that will require some fade work to smooth out.

Usually anything under 85Ω is fine with any powered line amp, audio interface / hifi head unit / computer output / ... It might burden some portable devices with low quality output amps but that's not what what we are talking about here.

5. spncart

spncart Producer

I thought Audient/Scarlett was good value until I moved to the AUD world, there's no comparison. If you can't use speakers in your flat like me and need pristine sound with huge headphone headroom, save some money and buy AUD asap. It's gonna save you a lot of time.