focusrite scarlett 2i2 2nd gen, no sound coming out

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Seecret, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

On one of my PC's i have a 1st generation 214 and i could only get it working via a USB2 connection, not USB3...

Also:
    1. Does your PC have an internal audio device? Has it been disabled in BIOS?
    2. Check your windows audio settings and ensure the scarlett is the default audio device for both input and output.

2. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

It is also possible that your capacitors in the Scarlett 2i2 2nd are defective.
    If you still have a guarantee, send the device in.

As soon as the upper side of the electrolytic capacitor (Elko) shows a bulge, you can assume that the defect is.

[​IMG]

Identify bad electrolytic capacitors

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Seecret

Seecret Ultrasonic

For the sound displayed that it is playing, yes it is showing it, and I made sure it is the main and default output, but same thing, and just now following your suggestion i tried the outputs on the back and it doesnt work either, I tried different USB cables (unfortunatly same lenght) i cant find the really short ones short ones, tried different jack cables and output devices same thing, So i'm afraid its what you said in the beginning, that the Audio Interface is maybe dead, really i cant think of anything else to try here. Thank You for your help and patience man it is of great help and comfort. Thing is this is a friend's Sound card, so I will probably tell him to just return it to the guy he bought it from, because he didnt try it on the spot and just took the guys word that it's working, and who knows really. would be a miracle if it would work for him after all we tried lol

4. Seecret

Seecret Ultrasonic

Yes i'm using it on USB 2 here, and i don't understand what you mean by ''disabled in BIOS'', I didn't touch anything in Bios. and Yes it is my default Output

5. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

I meant if you had a build in sound device on your motherboard, ensure that it was disabled so as not to possibly conflict with the Scarlett by the OS, is all.

Have you tried using the scarlett on another computer?

Frankly, it sounds like your scarlett interface may indeed be faulty.

6. Seecret

Seecret Ultrasonic

I'm afraid that is the case my friend, because I tried so mant things and non worked, and I guess having tried it on 6 computers, at least one would have worked lol, so I guess that's a Wrap here, it's my friends purchase so he will have to return it. Thank You bro

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

you should have mentioned it was second-hand and unconfirmed as working before trying all this.
    the way you would approach the problem would be way different and have saved you some time. Luckily, it's not on your dime and for something much more expensive than a 2i2. you have to be very careful buying used hardware.

8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The advantage of buying new is always that you have a guarantee on it. In our country there is a legal right to exchange for 2 years. If you order from thomann you have 3 years right to exchange and 30 days money back. You can also use the manufacturer's support in the event of difficulties. You have an invoice and a serial number. Not only did they pay for the audio interface, they also paid for advice and hopefully for new updated drivers.

Recommended USB audio interfaces in the lower price class:
    Audient iD4 (€ 139), MOTU M4 (€ 269), Audient iD14 MKII (€ 211), MOTU M4 (€ 269), RME Didiface USB (€ 357)

Here is a small selection:

Audient iD4 - 139 EUR
    Steinberg - UR22C - 145 EUR
    PreSonus - Studio 24c - 145 EUR
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen - 149 EUR
    Native Instruments - Komplete Audio 6 MK2 - 209 EUR
    Audient iD14 MKII - 211 EUR
    MOTU - M4 - 269 EUR
    Mackie - Big Knob Studio+ - 269 EUR
    RME Didiface USB - 357 EUR

USB Audio Interfaces - Low- Mid - High - Prof - Budget (Market overview 4-2021)
    https://audiosex.pro/threads/usb-audio-interfaces-low-mid-high-prof-budget.58930/

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  9. Seecret

Seecret Ultrasonic

Absolutely man, feeling bad for my friend here, thing is he didn't try it on the spot, like you say one gotta be very careful with used stuff, I always make sure I try things very well before buying them. thank You mate

10. Seecret

Seecret Ultrasonic

New is always best for sure, Problem is I Live in Algeria and Shipping is always nightmarish way before covid and it's even worse now, so sometimes the only option is used, will take a look at thins store and I wonder if they ship here or not. About that electrolytic capacitor (Elko) can we like fix it or replace it, to make the sound card work again?

11. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Yes, the capacitor can be soldered in. You have to unscrew the device beforehand, see if the capacitor is curved or if liquid is leaking. Then you write down the name of the electrolytic capacitor and order it.

https://www.reichelt.de/de/en/elect...31f7f7ae990defccb4472f551ece&LANGUAGE=EN&&r=1

https://www.colisexpat.com/en/delivery-shipping/algeria/amazon/

Replacing Electrolytic Capacitors

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  12. Seecret

Seecret Ultrasonic

Thank You man your help is priceless, will meet with my friend now and do that. Thank You for everybody who helped thank You