focusrite scarlett 2i2 2nd gen, no sound coming out

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Seecret, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Seecret

Seecret Ultrasonic

Hi, I got a focusrite scarlett 2i2 2nd gen I tried it on both Win 7 and Win 10, it's not working like everything seems normal the lights on it turn on, and indicators on the screen that there is sound are there, but no sound is coming out of it. and sometimes on win7 the light indicators's light keeps blinking. I was thinking maybe installing some old legacy driver would be compatible or something, but I can't seem to find where to download it, if Anybody know where to get it please help, or any other solution.

Thank You

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Focusrite USB Driver will not install on my Windows 7 machine (digital signature problem)
    https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/208813065-Focusrite-USB-Driver-will-not-install-on-my-Windows-7-machine-digital-signature-problem-

I cannot install the USB drivers for my Scarlett (2nd Gen) on Windows 7
    Updated 6 months ago

This article applies to the Scarlett second generation audio interfaces. The installation of the software (USB driver, Focusrite Control software) requires an up-to-date operating system. If Windows 7 is not up to date, you will probably receive an error message regarding unsigned drivers when you start using your new Scarlett (2nd Gen) audio interface.

If you receive this message and still continue with the installation, the Windows error codes 10 and 52 appear. Please update the operating system so that the installation can be carried out without difficulties and your audio interface can then be used properly.

You can find all system updates for Windows 7 under the following link: h
    https://winfuture.de/downloadvorschalt,2671.html
    After the update, reinstall the USB drivers or the Focusrite Control software on your computer.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/de...tt-2nd-Gen-nicht-unter-Windows-7-installieren

-
    How to install Focusrite drivers on Windows
    https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en...5-How-to-install-Focusrite-drivers-on-Windows
    DOWNLOADS
    https://customer.focusrite.com/en/support/downloads

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. No Doz

No Doz Producer

if you haven't already, go into your sound preferences / audio devices and check to make sure the interface is selected as both your input and output device. same in your DAW preferences

5. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I had the same issue years ago trying to install the Saffire USB driver on my Win 8 machine. Win 7 was all it would work on. Try ASIO4ALL.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Seecret

Seecret Ultrasonic

Thank You bro, but the thing is, The driver is already installed, its just that no sound is comming out, i'm trying to install and older version of the driver maybe it would work out, do you know how can I do that? because the website is only giving me the latest

7. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

With which operating system does no sound come out?

A. Win 7
    B. Win 10
    C. Win 7 and Win 10

For Windows 7:
    Focusrite USB Driver will not install on my Windows 7 machine (digital signature problem)
    https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en...-Windows-7-machine-digital-signature-problem-

8. Seecret

Seecret Ultrasonic

Thank You mate, I did that, it is selected and when I play a sound it showes indicators its playing yet no sound comes out.

9. Seecret

Seecret Ultrasonic

That's interesting here, for me It didnt work on both 7 and 10 in two different computers, I wonder if this has to do with the fact that both of them dont have the lastest update or something

10. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

I recently replaced my older fastrack Ultra 8R with a focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen.

This might be no consolation, but while the drivers for my old audio interface are no longer supported they worked flawlessly in Win 7,8 and 10.
    I think the focusrite drivers need some work to be honest. It pops on every reboot. The buffering integration and communication needs work in my opinion. No issues recording or in normal usage, but I would never label their drivers as integrating smoothly. They need work.

Their recommendation is to upgrade to the latest version. That always fixes some problems but rarely every problem. I cannot recommend past that. Contact their support would be my choice if that failed.

11. Seecret

Seecret Ultrasonic

Thank you bro, I'm chatting with their support too, I hope this would be fixed soon really

12. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

In this way connection and performance problems with USB audio interfaces can be resolved

If you have connection or performance problems with your USB audio interface, we recommend first implementing the following tips:

USB Troubleshooting:

- First remove all other USB devices from the computer (except for your USB audio interface).

- Test different USB ports and, if possible, a different USB cable.

- Connect the audio interface directly to the computer and not via a USB hub. Some hubs can impair the performance of a USB audio interface or cause connection problems.

- Do not use USB cables longer than 150cm. These often cause connection problems.

- Proceed as follows to see which USB bus the audio interface is connected to:

Windows: Open the computer's device manager (under Control Panel). Open the View menu and select "Devices by connection". Search the various USB buses until you find the audio interface listed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. Seecret

Seecret Ultrasonic

That's a very good idea, will definitly check that

14. Seecret

Seecret Ultrasonic

Still no luck with that either, and now I tryed it on another computer with win 10 with the latest updates and did the steps shown where I do CMD and delete windows files and its still not working,its making me think maybe there is something wrong with the output of the interface, because I have a fast track and its plug and play

15. clone

clone Audiosexual

Do you have the Focusrite Control software installed? That software is not great, and is a good place to check off one wrong thing and get no sound. I remember needing it for my 18i20 to work correctly, though. (I'd much rather run just a driver on a pc, too)

but first, I would connect a pair of headphones to it.

16. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Sorry Seecret, but going to ask some more basic questions, as I think some assumptions have been made that maybe shouldn't have, at this point(I dont see them answered/asked anywhere, so pardon me if I'm blind and missed something):

1) CAN YOU GET WINDOWS SOUNDS TO WORK (no DAW): When you say you're getting no sound, do you mean absolutely no sound output? Have you tested Windows sounds out (ex. play an MP3, or play something on YouTube) with the Focusrite as the default output device in Windows? If you get no sound there, then we can at least eliminate some other potential problems.

2) ARE YOU HAVING TROUBLES WITH INPUT? OR OUTPUT? (OR BOTH) Did you perhaps mean that you have an instrument like an electric guitar connected, but you can't hear anything that is being inputed? That of course would be a completely different matter. The reason I ask that is because, if I'm not mistaken, the lights on the 2i2 are just in regards to INPUT ONLY. It's been a while since I owned one. Mine was 1st gen, but I think the lights were only for input, not for output. I have a Solo now, and that's how it works. Also, just a heads up, but on my old 2i2, the lights would sometimes just randomly blink rapidly when something was wrong.. an unplug/replug of USB cord would fix that. Outside of that, you shouldn't see lights blinking unless something is happening on the input signal.

3) HOW ARE YOU LISTENING (SPEAKERS/HEADPHONES, HOW ARE THEY CONNECTED): If you're not hearing any output sound from even windows, how are you listening for the sound?? Do you have speakers connected to the back of the 2i2? Or do you have headphones plugged into the front of the 2i2 (bottom right jack)? I ask because some people might think that you can have speakers plugged in to somewhere else on your PC and you'll get sound, but that is NOT true (well, not without some work, but that would be silly to do, IMO). Also be aware of where you plug your headphones/speakers in too. Speakers would connect to the back with 1/4 jacks. On the front bottom right corner you'd have your headphone plugin... and you have volume knob to control volume level, so of course have that up. The other jacks on the left are INPUTS.

Sorry, some of this may be completely obvious to you, but I don't know what level you're at, so just covering the basic stuff.

17. DKB

DKB Producer

Sorry I’m not a windows user I’m on Mac but I have a Scarlett 18i20 and ada8200 interface . One thing to ask is have you set up the mix control software for monitoring from you’re daw . Unfortunately the Scarlett isn’t just plug and play well it wasn’t for me I had to go through setting up the mix control software before I could hear any output from logic . Make sure mix control is set up to monitor your outputs . The mix control software is key to getting it working for you . I recently just brought the behringer 1820 to go alongside the Scarlett and there both equally matched .

18. Seecret

Seecret Ultrasonic

Yes I do have it, and it's not doing anything, tryed changing the buffer size and sampling rate reduced but nothing unfortunatly

19. Seecret

Seecret Ultrasonic

1) CAN YOU GET WINDOWS SOUNDS TO WORK (no DAW): --- Actually no sound is comming out, even with music players and youtube, and I made focusrite my default audio source for both input and output.
    2) you are right, I think there is something wrong in that departmenet, because the inputs dont react at all, just blink at times or remain completly off, some people told me that maybe it's power supply, but I tried in many computer and same result.
    3) I'm listening through headphones and speakers connected on the front bottom right Jack, using 6.5 jack connector.

Thank You man very much for your time and help, if you have any other idea please tell me

20. Seecret

Seecret Ultrasonic

I Unfortunatly did to no avail, and one other very important thing here, Even when I plug a MIC and turn direct monitoring on, I still don't hear anything.

21. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

You mentioned it's 2nd Gen, so I'd assume you bought it (not so gently) used, in that case. Maybe it's dead.

You should try and see if you can get any audio out of the speaker ports on the back though.. Maybe the headphone jack is the problem. Depending on your speakers you might have to find an adapter to convert to stereo TRS (1/4", 6.35MM) (or just plug your 1/4" in one back jack to test). Or have you tried that already?

And just wanted to clarify one thing.. when you play something in windows, and go into Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->Sound, you actually see the volume meter bouncing for your Focusrite device listed there? Sorry, wasn't sure if you had mentioned that, or if you meant the lights on the front of the Focusrite (which again are just for input level).

I'd say keep things simple for now though and just test Windows sound, with headphones or speakers plugged in only, no mics or instruments. Then look at your Focusrite.. make sure there's no lights doing anything. If they're flickering a bunch, that's not good (as I said, my old one used to do that, and I'd have to unplug/replug USB to fix). And, again, make sure that Windows shows that there should be output there, via the control panel->Hardware and Sound->Sound.

[​IMG]

The other thing I'd check is the new style of Windows sound settings... so click your start button and then type out "sound settings" and open that up. Play something, and ensure that at the top it says "Speakers (Focusrite USB Audio)" in the dropdown, and under master volume, it's of course turned up, and the speaker looks unmuted the entire time it's playing. I mention that because I had one device go bad on me, and when I looked here it was rapidly muting/unmuting for some reason, unbeknownst to me.

[​IMG]

Also, I like a lot of BEAT16's post in post 11. I'm sure you tried much of that, especially since you did it on a second PC, but will echo the point on cable length. USB cables are VERY notorious for having issues with length, so be sure it's short enough.. and even try a different one. Also, plug into USB 2 port rather than a USB 3 port, if you can, as I've heard of issues with them not working in USB 3 ports.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021