Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 vs Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by NicoDPS, Dec 21, 2016.

1. NicoDPS

NicoDPS Platinum Record

3. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

I use the Presonus 1818. I use it in my home studio and I have used it live. It's also very nice for recording tracks that are not affected by your live mix. You can have a bunch of monitor mixes. There is no latency in the live mix. For the digital outputs and as an interface, 64 samples is the least, and that depends on how hard you push/load it, of course. I have nothing but good things to say about mine, and AudioBox comes with Studio One. I have no experience with Focusrite.

4. NicoDPS

NicoDPS Platinum Record

Thanks for your answer @rhythmatist, any other feedback about those interfaces?

5. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

My presonus in my flight case rack and some of my other rack mount gear. Add a video monitor, track ball and computer keyboard and it is a very flexible setup for live, recording, or both at the same time.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  6. NicoDPS

NicoDPS Platinum Record

Nice Stuff!

7. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I know the Presonus 1818 well and I can recomment it!
    I have no clues regarding the other one!

8. TW

TW Guest

I heared the presonus driver are not that well in terms of latency but maybe a owner/long time user of the 1818 can comment on that.

The Preamps of the 18i20 have defenetly more colour than the presonus preamps but less gain.
    In terms of converters they both sound well.

You have to keep in mind that the 18i20 preamps have only 50 db gain (if i am remembering correct) while presonus preamps have 65db (or even more? ). Which is a deal breaker if you use dynamic mics even with a phat head/cloudlifter. For example I was not able to power my sm7 with the focusrite to my satisfaction. Thats why i sold my focusrite.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

have read some reviews on the focusrite.. and considered getting it to record my drumkit...the pres
    had some positive commentary... and the inputs on front have pad buttons.. always a plus...
    I scored a used Tascam interface for less than $100 so never went forward on the 18i20

don't know anything about the Presonus...

10. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I have a pro 40 and I love it. Pre amps are nice a clean. No color. Mine is Firewire but from what I read they are almost identical.
    Latency is really good and driver support also.

11. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Exactly what interface Herr Durr?

12. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

The US-1800.. completely adequate for my purposes, except it does not play well with Windows 8.1 up...
    no problem, I have enough W7 laptops laying around, so I just set up one dedicated laptop with the interface
    and my mic'd kit... not so concerned about top quality as I record for my own pleasure, and I'm not a good drummer
    so it's just for practice and trying to lay down some acoustic beats...

13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I'll say it simply:
    RME Fireface 802 is what you seek for

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Thanks Herr Durr!

I fancy Tascam a lot myself, but have never tested that one!

15. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@phloopy sure.. some small studios still use the US-1641 as well.. :wink:

16. It might be, but at over 3x the price....however, a used 800 will be not too far over a new Presonus and be...nicer.

17. NicoDPS

NicoDPS Platinum Record

That's the one I want, but my bank account doesn't... and the bastard is persuasive...

The 800 is firewire only and I need USB... :dunno:

18. Sorry, I had a mental fart about the Firewire/USB. How about a used Babyface and a Focusrite Octopre. Maybe you could do it for under 700 bucks, have the solid as a rock RME driver with two super clean very nice preamps combined with having the warmer eight Focusrite preamps. Even though TW said that he wasn't happy with the 50dB of gain even with the additional 20db clean boost from a FetHead/Cloudlifter, I was totally good with the Fethead/Focusrite Saffire combi powering up my ElectroVoice RE-20 which eats dBs for breakfast and then some.

19. NicoDPS

NicoDPS Platinum Record

That was my first idea, one babyface and one ADAT converter, but some people told me that it'll be better to not convert ADAT in live situation, plus the interface should be in rack to be protected...
    About the Octopre, the basic model don't do DA conversion (only AD) so it won't be really useful for me as I need analog output.
    And finally the price tag of the audiobox and the scarlett is really attractive, I'll need more (and better paid ^^) gigs to afford RME, I guess...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  20. TW

TW Guest

I use a babyface as my main studio with a mackie onyx blackbird via (smux) adat in stand alone.
    I promoted my babyface to my main rig and sold my 18i20 after i was not happy with the preamp gain and the overall performance. Compared to my mobile used babyface.

Rock solide - never had any problems.

But i never used this live. Its a recording rig. All i can say is if you want to go live with an adat rig. Dont do it with something other (lower quality) than rme. The drivers and latency are superior. Really i tried a lot of interfaces after i sold my focusrite. Still nothing competes with RME/total mix in terms of latency and stability.

My 2 cents if you are searching for live euipment - save your money buy a used rme solution. You wont regret it cause live latency and stability is all that counts. In the studio it dosent mater if your driver kills your daw the 3rd time and you have to restart your system ;).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2016