Focusrite Scarlet 2i2

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by lilryu, Aug 3, 2014.

1. lilryu

lilryu Newbie

I'm a newbie and was wondering if anyone had a solution for muffled/flat sound coming out from the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 - I'm trying to use it with the PianoTeq and Truepiano VST. When I plug in a headphone it sounds clear, like all the frequency are there, but when I plug the Scarlet 2i2 to a PA system it sounds very muddy and flat. I'm using TRS cables. Thanks!

3. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

I get the same card.
    No problem here, i use rear output on my monitors. It match headphone output.

Do you use rear outputs with BALANCED TRS cables ? Basically, stereo-like TRS cables (3 pins)
    May be there can be a trouble with unbalanced mono-like cables.

Try another source on the same PA input, with the same cables.
    May be cables are bad, and create impedance mismatch.

Power cables will NOT work as line cable. They are constructed to handle power on LOW impedance. They will ruin line signal.
    Check you use LINE level cables, too.

4. eksproducer

eksproducer Member

Anyone ever got a problem getting a condenser mic like the se200a II signal to work with the Scarlett 2i4?

5. dipje

dipje Ultrasonic

Started out on a Scarlett 2i2 here too. No problems (or settings that could affect it for that matter) with the output on the monitor-outs, even when using regular unbalanced cables. Sounds just as fine on the headphones.
    It can't be the software, since the headphones and the monitor-outs are on the same 'output 1&2' pair in software.

So either you have a faulty unit (rare and not likely) or there is something wrong in the cabling you're using to connect it to PA speakers. 'Muddy and fat' I'm thinking the PA speakers are passives? :P. Or, you have a huge impedance mismatch somewhere.

If it are active PA speakers, they should have XLR inputs most of the time. Get a pair of TRS-jack-to-XLR ( 'stereo big jack' to XLR) cables and plug it in. Make sure it are short cables. This should sound fine. If not, make sure the PA speakers sound fine on other systems, and then you might have a faulty 2i2. Otherwise, you have to look at the PA speakers and the cables + inputs you are using.

6. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

it'll be the P.A sounds like a cheap nasty P.A plug in some decent headphones see how it sounds with them.

7. monochrom3

monochrom3 Ultrasonic

It may seem like a stupid question, but... have you checked if the cables are properly plugged in? Some TRS cables need to be pushed into the input / output jacks really hard.

8. dipje

dipje Ultrasonic

You realize that in the piece of info _you quoted_ it says "... I tried it with headphones and...".
    Just funny :).

9. lilryu

lilryu Newbie

Thanks all for the response. Here are the cables that I'm using: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Livewire-TRS-TRS-Balanced-Patch-Cable-100132583-i1166760.gc - are they the right kind?

10. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

my bad, i didn't do that. but does your p.a work properly without the scarlet?
    take some phono cables and plug your phone in see how it sounds like that.
    it could be a bad p.a or a driver might be blown.