Focusrite 18i20 into macbook

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by kooper, Oct 8, 2022.

1. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

Close micing my acoustic kit. 8 mics. I see levels on all 8 inputs on the front of the focusrite when I play the kit. Signal is in the interface. Macbook sees the interface, and gives choices of 18 ins (which the interface supplies info). That is in logic pro. I setup 18 channels and armed them, looking for input levels from the inputs 1-18 respectively. Nothing shows. I am stopped with 18 channels armed and configed for 18 inputs, and nothing shows.

I think it might be because of an OS upgrade? I installed the control software from focusrite but it shows no signal from the focusrite.

So intuatively I think it's a driver? I ran this control software for the interface.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2022
  3. clone

clone Audiosexual

which Mac OS and Version of Logic? Fair warning, their software was a good portion of why my Macbook is now connected to a Motu 828es. (night and day performance upgrade, but about 2x the money) :(

Also, Which Manufacturing Mark #, MK1, MK2 etc. They can't all run the newest software, I think that is Mk2 and up where it changes from Focusrite Control software to the other software build. Or vice versa, just on the actual software title. They both suck, but the incorrect one will certainly not work properly. But rest assured, your problem is not going to lie within Logic or MacOS. It will be the Focusrite software.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
  4. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

I was just going to try the newer controler software from focusrite. I may have to try this on windows. Thank you for the feedback.

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

Yeah if you install the correct version, it will definitely work. (at least on Mojave). But, the way the software almost jockeys back and forth for control of everything with Logic isn't fun. If I remember correctly, you can use the device without their software; but you are limited to only using the analog ins/outs. Something quirky like that. Try using only a few tracks of audio in Logic when you are testing this stuff. Also, remember that Logic will often have your sound cards "Analog In 1/2" set to "Input 3/4" in your Logic channel strip. (So add 2)

And then also there is "Why does Focusrite Control says no hardware connected?".

it makes it feel just like Windows with reboot attempts to fix. :suicide:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
  6. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

is the driver actually allowed in MacOS security?
    does Logic have granted rights to access "Microphone" in MacOS security settings?
    can you try any other DAW, or just play some sounds on Mac or internet browser, if output also works?

7. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

I gave up on mac. Windows connected right away and I recorded with it last night. It seems really close to working. I seem to remember someone saying they got past this with privacy settings. I do have reason I can try except it needs to connect to the net to login. I am working on getting internet access over in my drum area.

8. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

This may be what I remember hearing about. I didn't grant any special mic setting. Where would I do that. The macs seem to see the interface and it shows 18 inputs to choose from. The interface has 18 inputs so it seems to have passed that to the mac. It does seem like it is very close to working. Where do I look for this setting in Logic.

9. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

it's in MacOS Settings -> Security and Privacy

10. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

Ok I will look in there and see what I can see. Thank you.