focus controller/arm track for performance

Discussion in 'Live' started by Graf, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

hello all, I have a question how to be able to have multiple midi channels in use in ableton session view and having the focused channel not shut everything else off. (midi thru from one to another)

can anyone share pointers on how to set up my options? I think my issue is just that ableton has too many abilities and options, I have tried many combos of arm exclusive on the red button at the bottom and selecting different options in setup, but when I click on one midi channel, or a channel loaded with midi generator the channel with the synth that data was going to goes quiet.
    I am probably over thinking it, youtube is almost way more involved than this simple basics. I have a kontrol s61 and apc40mkII hardware. I just want everything else in use to keep going when I focus(select) a channel to work on, and for my controller to now take over what I have it set to control

here are some examples, in session mode
    komplete kontrol (as vst) loaded on midi channel 1, synth on midi channel 2
    midi generating vst loaded on midi channel 1, synth on midi 2
    two synths on midi channels 1 & 2, with one running a midi loops and I want to play the other

thanks in advance for any of your time and thoughts
    Graf

3. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

I think in my frenzy of trying every combination I've just got something wrong and ableton thinks that that's what I want

funny, that my little saying at the bottom about the Charlie and the chocolate factory is pretty much what I've done.. hahaha

4. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

heres another example, a very simple one
    a synth loaded into track one as a midi track. ok. now I click on an audio track to load some drum loops and all focus has gone to track 2, including the red button at the bottom so my keyboard is no longer controlling track 1. this causes ableton to be a one-track-pony, I literally can not use two tracks AT ALL.
    how do I get the keyboard to still control track one if I select (focus) on another? almost every example I see on youtube, ableton works in the manner I am wishing for and NOT the way it is behaving

5. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

yep:like:

no vst start up scan you will like maybe

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

As mentioned by @reliefsan, You need to create a file called Options.txt in AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live [your installed version]\Preferences and add this line:
    -NoAutoArming

not -EnableArmOnSelection - this is actually the opposite of what you want

You can find more info with a quick googling. Here is my Options.txt
    http://txt.do/1axpn

And you can arm multiple tracks by holding CTRL and click each track's arm button or by changing exclusive arm on Live preferences.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

awesome guys thanks, im going to start digging into these. and I know about my options page, I need to look there... that enable arm on select sounds familiar, I wonder if that is what I've done. correct Amirious, I want the opposite of this. and i'll have a look at your page. thank you

that was it! I had enable on select in my options page, and quite frankly it was driving me batty. I was about to switch back to guitar or something drastic :)
    problem solved

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  9. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

I'm happy to help brother :wink: