FMR Audio : What's about them?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by RedThresh, Dec 26, 2016.

1. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

Hi fellows, just a quick thread to gater infos and review on FMR Audio products, I was thinking about getting a simple hardware compressor, just for the analog circuits, super-smooth comps on Masters and maybe sometimes on Vocals or things like that.

So, are those models worth?

https://www.thomann.de/fr/fmr_audio_rnla_7239.htm

https://www.thomann.de/fr/fmr_audio_rnc_1773.htm

I'm definitely not into spending thousand of bucks into some superstar old school (or not) compressors, nothing more than 300 euros it's really just about getting some true analog sound into my mixes.

Sorry if there is already some thread about this brand, I did quick searches and found nothing, I just remember reading some comments here saying it's kind of good for the price.

:)

3. WHMedia

WHMedia Guest

For the money, great gear. I have the FMR RNP. its a great preamp for its value. I've also worked in a studio that has one of there compressors and its great. Definitely quality stuff. Go for it.

4. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

Yay thanks for your input! Waiting some more answers but seeing other stuff in this price range, it seems the best choice anyway!

5. The the RNC is...Ok. Next step would be a Warm Audio WA76 for only $599. It is absolutely 100% pro. I use it on the way in on vocals (2 o'clock attack, 3 o'clock release for most things, 5 to 12 dB reduction, smooth as a stingray's skin) with an LA- 2A emulation in the DAW, commit the combination when I record and live happily ever after. It is also amazing on drums and percussion if you only want to just affect the transients or even wish to squash the shit out of something, create utter audio destruction with all buttons in and balls to the wall. I am both the angel and the devil on your shoulder.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2016
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

I was waiting for you, I think it was your comment (end of OP):)
    So, what's your opinion on the FMR RNLA?

7. What can I say. The RNLA will work in the cheap for exactly what you say you would like to do with it, namely strap it across the 2buss, but it imparts lots and lots of "color" and it will severely limit you for what it works on when you want to use it for vocals. The RNC (sorry for the typo within the first two words of my post before, I fixed it now) is probably better suited to your needs as it is more flexible and has that Super Nice Mode that helps keep it transparently working I had a friend that had both, one of them, I forget which now had a plastic box, LOL. They will both get the job done for not much geld. It is a personal fetish of mine to capture audio with hardware gear, so my nod to the WA76 was my attempt to drag you into the fray of imparting that little something extra into the signal on the way in by utilizing transformers to scrub your signal a little bit dirty albeit in a clean way. I use the clean preamps of the Babyface but I also like to use Warm Audio's Tonebeast as well as a Daking Mic Pre One as they both can add something special to the signal, both in slightly different ways. And I always try to nudge people into saving their hard earned money and maybe use constraint, not to buy cheap because they want it now, but wait a little while longer and get something much cooler that you won't need to sell to buy something better later on. For the money, the WA76 is more than (to me) worth three times the price of the FMR stuff. You can use plugins on your master or your busses because some sound really great, but you just cannot skimp on your signal chain on the way in. Performance>>mic>>preamp>>compressor. You can even skip the compressor if the performer has impeccable technique and you have used a mic that doesn't depend on proximity effect to get the sound you are looking for.