FL to Logic - Win to Mac: Beginner Insider Tips ?

Discussion in 'Logic' started by Swatch, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Swatch

Swatch Kapellmeister

hey friends.
    Going from Win to mac, From FL and Studio one to Logic. Decision is clear ! (Less crashes, less plugins, more music more creativity)

Anyone made the same step?
    Some basics are already learned.
    But i will never can drop my behavior for shortcuts, zooming, Step Sequencer and so on.

Do you guys have some tips for me, how i can feel home in the mac world a bit faster?
    I have a hackintosh, using a windows keyboard. I still live in both worlds.
    Would be cool to have some windows behavior in MAC.
    I already switched the scroll behavior, switched control and command.

For wxample i could need some zooming shortcuts in logic like in S1 or Cubase. I dont like zoming with the scrollwheel. Such small little things.

Thank you guys :)

3. beatroot

beatroot Producer

4. alex921

alex921 Producer

Well if you dont like scrolling you can zoom with your arrow keys and holding the option? or apple button, im not quite sure one of the two.

The scrolling behaviour is massively improved in logic 10.3.0, I have a hackintosh and a macbook, working with my macbook and its touchpad is quite nice. Since you own a hackintosh, perhaps consider on of those wireless touchpads or magic mouse, or some other more capable mouse.

As far as shortcuts, there is a whole lot of them in logic which you can customize. Furtermore, I suggest you look into which shortcuts you need/essential until you play around with Logic for a few days, and then make a decision whether you want it changed. Because some shortcuts make sense in terms of layout, and some rely on each other.

5. ia

ia Producer

if you suck in fl, you probably will suck in logic. that law works in any cases
    it doesnt matter what daw you are using, for example Burial makes his nice beats in acid or sound forge
    I'm used all Wins from Win98 and I'm used macs so I can say that's makes no sense

6. alex921

alex921 Producer

Exactly, There is no huge difference at all between FL studio and Logic, both are very capable. Especially since the latest version of fl studio 12.

7. atreehaseyes

atreehaseyes Kapellmeister

This is more or less a tip for anyone, but especially in Logic... Even if you use a midi keyboard for note input, learn just about ever piano roll keyboard shortcut there is, including things like "invert selection< "select similar... ", "set nudge value..." (as well as nudge left and right!), and so on, because it makes shifting midi around all the much more efficient.

Also, the instruments are all pretty top notch, even those that look stupidly simple, as they have great tone if not functionality. Solid stock plugin options all around, really.

Oh, and also, you can change the order of your plugin menu from the Plug-in Manager, and don't forget to go to Logic Pro X > Preferences > Advanced Tools and check off each one, or else you'll basically be using Garage Band Deluxe and not the full functioning program.

8. atreehaseyes

atreehaseyes Kapellmeister

It's option+arrows, as well as option+trackpad, and I believe even option+magic mouse if you are using one.

EdIt: Oops, maybe it's not option+arrows. I use the a trackpad, believe it or not (it's not actually that bad due to how functional even an older (ie. no force touch) Macbook trackpad is), and never use the arrows...

At any rate, you can hit option+k to bring up the shortcut menu and search for anything there.

9. Swatch

Swatch Kapellmeister

Hey guys.
    Thank you ver ymuch for your infos. Especially the stuff with trackpad, magic mouse, wireless touchpad.
    Saw one in a video, where the guy controlled everything with one finger :D

The stock tools in Logic are very very cool.
    I dont suck in FL. I work with FL since V3.
    But crashes, high cpu spikes, the mixer routing, all that colored hipster stuff brings me to a new (more stable) system.

i want to make new stuff. There are really really great tutorials on YT based on Logic. Using Logic Stock Plugs.
    Made my first 20 seconds of a beat yesterday. Sounds really cool.
    It´s a new workflow.

i want it :)

Greetings

10. TIXH

TIXH Noisemaker

you should have stayed in fl, it'll take you a few months to get to the same level of comfort..and it really doesn't make much difference.

11. dashfiss

dashfiss Kapellmeister

Fl user here, and I wonder what VSTs make it so unstable? Haven't had one crash in FL -- EVER. And now it will never happen either, because it's the only music soft I have installed. Tried all the big synths out there, and they are all really amazing tools, but with the FL synths combined I can do everything I want anyway. Tbh I usually get away with only Sytrus, it's that powerful.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  12. alboz

alboz Ultrasonic

Ohooo same question again again again. .people think daw make music for you!! You create music with daw..
    Daw its Just a tool ...u Must use your brain to create good music and must have skills..no matter What daw u use if u dont have skillz u will never make a beat..

Most og the people that they fight which daw is best or I use fl studio but i wanna go to logic or cubase will never make a track for other ..they only make a beat for them selv and never gonna be pro..

This is my answer ..

There is no better or best daw ...cause all daw can do the same things, in different ways...

Btw u Write that u make a beat and it sounds good??? A pro producer will never say that!! IT must sound cool to the listener not to u...