fl studio update without loosing data?

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by triplesiccx, Oct 14, 2021.

1. triplesiccx

triplesiccx Newbie

Hi im new here, my name is alex but im a long time member on the sister site.
    I have a very dump question:
    i have fl studio 20.7. and want to update with 20.8.
    is it possible without loosing all of my data stuff thats inside the image line folder?
    oh and yea it is a cracked version

thx and greetings

3. Tokiopopski

Tokiopopski Newbie

yes during the setup you will see the settings colum check mark the one that says migrate previous settings and keep the other option uncheck marked

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. triplesiccx

triplesiccx Newbie

Ok Super Thank you for your Help :wink:

5. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

but AS ALWAYS, BACK UP YOUR STUFF

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. triplesiccx

triplesiccx Newbie

Ok i will back up my stuff...but
    all my samples are located in my image line folder too, so they wont get deleted?

7. aeroflot

aeroflot Kapellmeister

are you talking PC WIN ? if yes I always install over the old one Intaller doesnt erase files on windows (on Mac it does !!) but Win is ok check that you have the same folder name do a "cutom" install and import all settings use asio4all or not and Voila!
    Edit: Sorry for typos My very very bad eyes are Guilty

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  8. triplesiccx

triplesiccx Newbie

yes im on windows 10 Thank you!

9. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

If your samples are all in your "Image-Line\Fl Studio\" folder, then yes.
    (I was assuming you mean your samples are in within the "FL Studio" folder ... perhaps in the Fl Studio\Audio\.." folder ?)
    Where ARE your samples actually - I would verify that.

Well, it they ARE in the Fl Studio folder that's fine...

I back up my "...\Documents\Image-Line\FL Studio\" folder.
    That includes the "Projects"(Backup,Project Bones,Templates", "Audio" (Recorded, Rendered, Sliced Audio), Presets, etc.

The FL Studio folder is probably only about 300Meg (except for your own stuff).
    It compresses to 39 Meg using Winrar best compression and takes about 7 seconds.
    Of course all your samples and projects will make it take longer and not compress as well.
    But the point is .. that there's no need to back up your samples or projects separately.
    It is easier / better to just back up the whole Fl Studio folder.
    It saves the "state" of your Fl Studio "studio".

10. triplesiccx

triplesiccx Newbie

exactly all my samples, acapellas, drums, drumkits etc...(560GB) located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Image-Line\FL Studio 20\Data\Patches\Packs\Samples.
    So im nervous you know i dont wanna lose em all, i collect em over the last 15 years.

11. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

OK, that's fine. Since you know where they are, just make a backup copy of them.
    You should make the backup on another drive.

It would be best to have that Samples folder on another drive for ease of backing your system ( and restoring if needed).
    Daw libraries (VSTi soundbanks / samples etc) are easier to move off the OS drive these days. because they will ask you where the folder is, and you can just browse to it.
    Moving a long-used sample folder is more of a hassle.... as many programs may be looking for it.

There is a way (using a symlink) that you can move that Samples folder to another DRIVE and leave a SYMLINK in its place.
    A symlink is like a shortcut, but works in a better way.

Windows and most programs will treat that link as if it is the actual folder, but most backup programs will not follow through the link by default, so it avoids backing up symlinked stuff each time you back up your system.
    The link in my signature is about that.

12. lbnv

lbnv Platinum Record

It's hardly practical to keep your samples in "Program files" folder. It causes problem with access to them, troubles with reinstallation etc.

I'd reccomend to keep them in other place. You can choose any folder on your PC in "Options > File settings" menu and this folder will be displayed in the internal FLS browser.

But who knows... If you find your way better...

13. lbnv

lbnv Platinum Record

If FLS "know" about your personal folder (you pointed to this folder in "File settings") FLS always find your files after you moved them. If you reopen your projects after moving files it takes time as FLS search for files in all folders it "knows". But FLS will find them.

But if you use your samples in plugins moving them can cause troubles. You'll need to point these files manually.