Fl Studio cpu load wrong?

Discussion in 'Software' started by pelao, Jan 6, 2017.

1. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

Hello Guys. why fl studio use a lot cpu than reaper with the same plugins? i did a test with 6 plugins in both programs and Fl studio 12 uses 75% of cpu and reaper 5 uses 25%, Is reaper wrong or Fl is a cpu stealer?

3. beatroot

beatroot Producer

4. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

5. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Well i recently stopped runnin FL12 .4 "which i did for 4 years"
    and went over to Ableton 9
    "everything was optimized at FL studios side of things"
    And the difference in cpu consumption was ridiculous..
    Abl used a fraction of the cpu that FL does with loading the same plugins..

Yes fl for some reason uses way more cpu, i expexct the same applies with reaper
    I mean i even had plugins that would max my cpu out with FL
    But those same plugins in ABL ran at just 4%cpu overall
    Crazy right!!
    Youre not goin nutz and not imaganing it believe me mate...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. beatroot

beatroot Producer

Can image your frustration.Hope you get to the bottom of things as soon as possible.If you do find a solution keep us posted.

7. FL Studio runs hot. When people say that they put an instance of, say a particular saturation plug on every individual channel, I know intuitively that if I did the same with FLS the whole shebang would catch fire and go up in smoke and most certainly burn my house down.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

i'm wondering what could be that high cpu load

9. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

is the difference linear? what does task manager say?

10. Elisea

Elisea Guest

Hi pelao,

i can confirm, that FL Studio since version 12.3 needs a lot more cpu power. I tested ceveral DAWs in cpu usage and even created the same project in detail for every DAW. So i had an eye on that. And i realised a big increasing of cpu power from FL 12.2 to 12.4. A 50% cpu project sucks after the upgrade at least 15% more (65% and even higher peaks) power.

Reaper is in my opinion the most economical DAW because the same project that needs over 65% in FL 12.4 just uses under 20% cpu in reaper. An important difference appears if you open a VST-plugin window, what effects an 5% increasing only for the plugin UI in reaper. So i guess that FL Studio suffers from its vector UI, because reaper is by the way the most spartan DAW ever. And i love it. There is even a nice fake listen video from Reaper Blog where you can see, how your eyes fool you if there is a fat and sophisticated UI and a simple one.

Use FL Studio only for the Midi programming, prepare for midi export and export it! Then import the midi file in reaper and work on. Thats the best way to use the cool and easy midi functions in FL and the unbeatable flexibillity and low cpu in reaper.

• List
  11. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Look at the picture and find what is wrong...

upload_2017-1-6_17-3-29.png

My PC
    WIN7U 64-bit + CPU 6700 + 32GB RAM

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

i will check

13. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

yes Fl says that it uses 20% but in the task manager uses 11% wtf is this!!

14. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

I think FL shows the cpu load as the sum of all VST cpu load, maybe. :dunno: Or maybe not...

FL Studio 12 GUI page
    ---------------------
    CPU Meter - When this meter nears 100%, FL Studio's audio output will glitch and crackle (known as an underrun). The meter shows the approximate percentage of your CPUs real-time capacity needed to generate audio to fill each audio buffer, compared to the buffer length. For example, 20% means FL Studio can fill the buffer in only 20% of the available time, plenty capacity to spare. 90% means FL Studio used 90% of the available time to fill the buffer. That's close to running out of time. Once FL Studio needs the same or more time to fill the buffer than available, there will be gaps in the audio (glitches, stuttering and related rude noises). For tips on reducing CPU usage see the Troubleshooting section. Right-click - To increase the refresh rate, Right-click the view to open an options menu. To learn why the FL Studio CPU meter is not the same as the Windows CPU meter see the section below on Multi-core CPU Processing.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  15. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

maybe image line must give an explanation hahaha

16. Elisea

Elisea Guest

I don't think it matters, because for me even 75% or 80% cpu load in FL Studio results in crackles and silent breaks. Accordingly to the theory that 70% cpu in FL 12.4 just means 15% cpu in the task manager this shouldn't happen. I guess the cpu meter in FL Studio shows really what the software can handle with the cpu audo capabilities. I have no clue why it is so high!

17. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

i tried FL11 and the cpu usage is a llitle low than the version 12 , FL 11 show 60% and FL12 70%

18. Elisea

Elisea Guest

Thats what i mean. I would also say that the newer versions have more peaks and cpu fluctuations. But maybe its because i run near the limit what results in more noticable crackles.
    The first FL 12 versions were not so cpu hungry, at least i didn't notice a big different to version 11. But with 12.2 or 12.3 it started to make some difference. At the moment, they put a lot of their own plugins to vector graphics UIs, maybe thats the reason? The more plugins with new UIs the more cpu the whole thing needs?

19. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

I think it's related to some kind of cpu throttling.

The shortest route to take is disable all energy saving features in windows and if that doesn't solve it:
    go to your bios, take picture of it's cpu features with your phone, and de-code them on google.
    and look up if something is throttling your cpu.

I wouldn't mess with other stuff (digits eg.) yo can def. destroy your motherboard like that!

if it does, but it does not solve your problem. It will at least make your pc more adequate for real time audio processing.

how much video memory do you got? Here izotope and fab-filter became sluggish since fl 12,
    my solution was upping the shared video memory to 2G total.

20. Elisea

Elisea Guest

And as i mentioned. Reaper has a reason for its spartan UI. With a heavy project you can decrease your cpu load just by closing the VST-plugin windows. Thats pretty amazing. Maybe the graphical aspect is more important than expected? At least at pc with not so potent graphic cards. (note books etc.)

21. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

oyeah I forgot to ask, You do have selected the same audio driver in the fl studio audio settings tab?