FL Studio... Clicks, Pops Hisses..

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by Brendan, Dec 25, 2021.

1. Brendan

Brendan Kapellmeister

When I'm in FL Studio 20 working on a project with say automation, or even without it sounds like a horrid, glitchy mess. My buffer size is all good, the automations aren't abrupt, they go from 0 to 100 every bar.

Also my PC is NOT on energy saver mode. And FL is reporting on underruns. It doesn't affect the rendered audio when its bounced to a WAV. However, playback is atrocious and sounds like a high school bands all fell down a bunch of bleachers.

Anyone have any solutions/advice?

3. boomoperators

boomoperators Kapellmeister

Check your system using LatencyMon by Resplendence Software: https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Scan your system "dry" with no audio playing first then add your DAW and plugins and check the drivers/system processes which may cause latency issues. Windows has a tricky system where DPC and ISR are common in the system and everything happens under the hood.

Check your Windows Updates, Driver updates and scan your PC with a bootable antivirus like Kaspersky Rescue Disk (KRD) or in Safe Mode using this handy tool: Windows Repair Toolbox (https://windows-repair-toolbox.com/).
    With this, you can check your system' temperatures and much more.

4. Jeffrey_Goinz

Jeffrey_Goinz Ultrasonic

Are you using a WIFI Pcie Card ?? Any BSOD Errorcodes ? Wich USB Devices or Hubs are connected besides your Audio-Interface?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
  5. clone

clone Audiosexual

What other Audio applications do you have installed, and do you have the same playback issues with them? Also, were you using a prior version of FL and if so, which one? Did you have the same result with that version?

You should also include which audio interface, Driver, and any other relevant PC specs. Especially your RAM details with this one. The easiest way to fix this could possibly be just reseating your RAM chips at the mobo. usually you aren't that lucky

6. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Some audio interfaces drivers can get "confused" when loading projects with different buffer size to what was playing before, try setting the interface's buffer size to the project's buffer size before opening the project.

edit: Also, check if FL is working with the audio interface's drivers. Don't remember why, but a while back i got FL defaulting to a different driver for some reason.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
  7. Brendan

Brendan Kapellmeister

Sorry to bother you guys on christmas about it lol. But okay, I have a presonus Ausiobox USB 96... Buffer size matches on FL, with universal control. I'm using ASIO link Pro. I'm using 20.7.2. It's a legion 5 lenovo laptop. 16.0 GB (15.4 GB usable)
    AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics 2.90 GHz

The only thing I have connected is a usb cable to the audio interface, and the interface has two Yamaha HS8 Speakers, hooked up and working fine.

I've used latencymon (had issues in the past) , it hasn't reported any issues.

I'm thinking it could be.. a plugin... or the automation clips since it seems to happen with those the most.

8. Jeffrey_Goinz

Jeffrey_Goinz Ultrasonic

Is the Samplerate in your ASIO Control Panel the Same like in the FL Menue ? 44100Hz ? Have you tried a other ASIO Driver like ASIO4ALL!? Have you checked your Taskmanager Background Processes, App, Performance, RAM-Usage while running FL ? Are Your Drivers UpToDate? Disabling WIFI Adapter etc can be the solution. This was my problem for example!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
  9. clone

clone Audiosexual

If you are running a legit version from Image Line, I would continue to work on your problem the way you are. (maybe even try a reinstall).

If you are using a Scene Release, I would track down a different release. Remove the one you have installed, cleanly. Install the other release. If the release you are using is causing the problem; this will be the easiest way to tell that. iirc, a few of them had some major problem; that may have been 20.8 only.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021