FL Studio 21 is Out!

Discussion in 'Software News' started by kingchubby, Dec 6, 2022.

1. BagelShaggerz

BagelShaggerz Platinum Record

They incorporated skins into their own software. Then some royal fuckery has entered the chat in their brains and shitted up all their reasonable judgement for years so they then took it back out for reasons they themselves cannot even explain away. Fl userbase scratched their heads in confusion, shrugged it off, rolled up their wizards sleeves and fucked this problem away by creating their own skins.

So Image-Line starts going off and threatening lawsuits/dmca on customers creating their own skins when they are the ones that forced them to do a job that isn't theirs then tried to punish the people that support them. Fighting them for years, only to cave in the end and add it back again like a tail between the legs. Don't get me wrong, it's my software of choice and it's my main daw but sometimes I feel like they just want to be ass hats just to be ass hats that love to make a big deal about nothing sandwiches then complain that it doesn't create enough excrement. Because you need real food to make shit and if their fanbase was gradually moving away from them then you can assume they didn't have enough funds to buy food that creates shit and keeps everybody happy.

IL were reminded that the fanbase is what keeps them alive and it's by choice users stick to FL Studio when they can easily just go to the daw across the street nowadays and ask if they holdin. Because if you asked Fl Staff then they just wouldn't tell you what they was holdin' was they own dicks when all that customers wanted was a bitta that loud and some alone time with the DAW. So it's not like the userbase can't decide they are spoiled rotten with choice options from their competitors. So Image-Line put some of that bread back next to the butter, like they should have done from the beginning. No company is outside the scope of the fuckery that Pro-Tools are experiencing. They were top dawgs that overvalued themselves and now look at them. They are a puddle of spud.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. def12

def12 Kapellmeister

You can create folders and put the plugin with the thumbnail in them, that‘s even possible for some time in FL Studio, I think? (personally never needed this option) Why do you think that its not possible?

3. loy1004

loy1004 Noisemaker

Sorry my mistake, the first time I did it wrong, that's why the thumbnail was showing in a different place, I did it correctly now and it appears in the folder I want.
    But I still believe that FL should do it in the background e.g. when you scan plugins.
    I can't understand why this hasn't been introduced yet.
    If it's possible in bitwig studio, why not in FL?

4. Joe_sleaze

Joe_sleaze Producer

Let's just agree their corporate legal section is way too sensitive.

5. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

Been playing with FL 21 on my Mac (thank you lifetime updates!) and the video encoding sometimes is laggier than usual. MBP M1 Max 64 gb RAM. 20 was a bit more efficient.

6. 11Fletcher

11Fletcher Platinum Record

This doesn't move your plugins, it just create a database for them, like a shortcut. You can then organize those shortcut as you want, the way Imagine Line do it with a fresh install is just an exemple.

For exemple I got all my FX order by type of FX and inside that folder they're all organize by brand. For my synth it's only by type, and for the emulation like Arturia for exemple, I can even rename the file so in my menu it show me the original synth emulated and it's release year.

If you go on the "document/image-line/fl studio/presets/plugin database" folder, from there you can create the category/sub category you want (even another sub category, for exemple I got "distortion/amp sim/brand name"). Then each plugin you load it in FL, you can even change the defaut preset so it always open with the setting you use the most, and open the folder you create in the menu, and add it like Jackhammer show, and it will be sorted the way you want (and show the same structure if you order your plugin by "tree" in the mixer plugin menu and pattern plugin menu)

It's a bit of work the first time, but once it's there it doesn't change, and you can move your database from a computer to another and it will still work (if you install the same vst of course). I have this database on 4 different computer since they add this way of sorting vsts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. TranceDream

TranceDream Producer

They need to continue with the new name such as FL Pro 1, FL Pro 2......

8. BagelShaggerz

Definitely, other than this little bit of low brow statement, they are actually a wonderful company. Also I miss when Gol (Didier Dambin) was around. He had his own strong opinions but he was such a smart and innovative guy who wasn't even trying to follow in the footsteps of traditional daws which is what set Fl Studio apart from other similar software.

He's done a lot to make FL Studio the beast that it is, I actually kind of thought that FL wasn't quiet as good as it could have been without his hands altering the motor under the hood anymore. At least in my experience there seemed to be more issues than they were willing to fix for a while, like the latency plague. I think that's the reason that many people like @ArticStorm still use older versions of the program and won't budge if they aren't forced into an upgrade by some compatibility issues. Older versions were just more stable, solid, reliable and lightweight compared to some of the unnecissary bloat it got and shitter updates post Gol days. Sometimes I think I need to revert back to my copy of Fl12 as well.

9. shake_puig

shake_puig Producer

So the playlist is still a mess? no option to hide automation lanes or track groups?

10. BagelShaggerz

You can group tracks and drag the automation wherever you want. Hide it, minimize it until it looks like a line of a coke or blow it up to the siza yo momma! OOOOH

Nah I'm just kidding bro but you can do all these things in the playlist/arrangement view. You can also assign that playlist track to a mixer track or lock the track entirely so you don't accidentally drag items along when copying and pasting sections over. There are tons of other options and features in there but I probably don't need most of them since I only use the basics.

But to answer your question, the playlist indeed still is a mess. It's where all the idecision happens, lel.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  11. JEPasCP1

JEPasCP1 Member

Light Mode Intensifies...

I was very interested from new update is theme changer.

12. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

I am okay with IL doing with they do ... I mean FL is still a good software and there is progress, there was always progress and innovation. Also the IL support and help in IL forum was always a great one.

Thats offtopic, thats why i put into a spoiler.
    Well IL was till a certain time very cool with unlocked FL's. But then this dramatically changed as they wanted legal users to report any links to them, so they could DMCA them.

Also in FL4, they really were evil. If FL found a backlisted key used, the whole FL folder with everything in it, zipped itself and put an unknown possible random password in the zip. Lost like 50 projects.

So yeah maybe they are always unsensitive towards people using their software in ways, which was not intended and skining probably falls into this category for them?

Anyway i am happy other companies are more chill about this or have already skining/theming in place.

I doubt IL will go into footsteps of PT/Avid, actual i think Avid is doing fine as it is a really big company compared to others with 1.6k employees, while IL has only like 20 employees, thats even smaller than bitwig with 24.

13. BagelShaggerz

I agree on all your points, it is a great software with awesome support wether you message them directly or post to their forums you will get a helpful response which will happen pretty quick too. Everything else is fine with their staff and software which is why I only grilled them on their Karen lawsuit threats which was extremely annoying for all FL users. Other than they they are golden in my book. After all these years I'm still discovering new features and techniques that pleasantly surprise me with their multiple ways to do everything model of doing things.

I started on version 4 but holy shit brother, this forreal? That truly is evil, didn't even think something like this is even possible.

I'm just making a point that any company plays the Karen card too long will most likely lose a good chunk or even the majority of their users to a software that's going to give them less of headache. Like with pro tools, and their paywall before any task model that nobody gets behind. I don't actually know anyone that uses PT anymore. The few people I knew that used it went over to Logic and never went back.

Also, how do you bust down part of your conversation into a spoiler tab like you did? This would definitely help consolidate my larger messages when they happen.

14. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

I, for one, hope that Image-Line never goes the Avid route. Avid with their practices are going straight down into stagnation and irrelevance. Yeah PT is the “standard”, but thank your favorite deity that people realize there are much better alternatives elsewhere, and Avid have themselves to blame.

15. iw

iw Producer

And steinberg was going downhill, it took them a decade to realize they could no longer continue with eLicenser.:suicide:

16. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

Nope the point was that VR got really close breaking elic, so there was no point to continue to use it as it would had need a major rethinking and engineering.

Like i wrote i doubt IL will go the AVID, as IL was always innovative and cared about bugfixes, new features, new ideas. Which Avid with protrolls never did and never will.
    And well AVID is still kinda industry standard, something IL's FL never had reached, but it sure was togo for bedroom producers in the last decade and still a lot people using it or considering to going legit.

Thats i am not a friend of the new authorization method is another thing, but i guess as long as i have to possibility to use it offline i am happy.
    (This also includes i can cross use plugins, which were unlocked with the new FL? :dunno:)

Might install FL21 again as it was always great to create quickly some drum loops, which then can be used inside Live - who knows.

A FL plugin to VST3 would be an amazing thing, so that one could use all the FL plugins inside any DAW with VST3 support. *DREAMING*

Is 3xosc a native FL plugin? A wrapper would open so many possibilities.

Anybody installed FL21 and looked around, how is it?

17. slowpoke

slowpoke Kapellmeister

No, but you can shit out a new one every so often :wink: