FL Studio 21 Browser CPU Spikes [solved]

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by FrankWhite23, Jun 9, 2023.

1. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Hey Guys I know a few people mentioned having cpu spikes and crackling when using the new browser and one person said to put your samples on your main drive which is not a option for me unfortunately I have too many samples to store on my C drive. Is there any other work around or settings I could try to fix the issue? I'm just using a regular External HD at the moment I really didn't wanna have to purchase another SSD just for one shots and samples but will do if I have no other options

3. Johey Polik

Johey Polik Noisemaker

youre have trying with the shortcut method?? i make that lwith my Voicemod cecause no option for changing the path of is converted files... sorry for my bad english

4. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Shortcut method?

5. Johey Polik

Johey Polik Noisemaker

you make the software believe that your things are in C: when they are elsewhere

6. Johey Polik

Johey Polik Noisemaker

sorry french windows :P

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Thank you I'll give it a try and report back

8. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

So I tried what you mentioned and it didn't work.. but I like the thought process though I took that same folder and dropped it on my desktop and it ran fine.. I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and purchase a SSD drive which really sucks but I think in the upcoming future the only thing regular External HD will be good for is storage and backups

9. yean

yean Newbie

This is an error.
    It has nothing to do with whether it's a C drive or an SSD.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2023
  10. mythimus

mythimus Member

I store my samples on an external hard drive thats connected via a USB-C port, and I've never ran into anything like this. I've not tested it on any of my older external drives though. I have an older quad-core i5 that I use for audio production.

11. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Are you on FL 21?

12. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Well my C drive is a faster drive then my external USB c external HD it's a spinning drive ...
    I didn't have any issues on fl 20 like I'm having on fl 21.. I have both 20 and 21 on the same computer and can open fl 20 and everything works fine I can scroll through samples with no lag or audio breakup

13. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

I think I may of fixed the issue. So in the audio settings I checked the auto close and mix in buffer switch and triple buffer .. I was getting under runs .. can someone maybe explain to me why this is working now and will I run into any issues by having these check marked ?

14. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Nevermind the issue is still there .. I still get crackling and cpu spikes just now it doesn't say I have any underruns

15. xo1

xo1 Newbie

I`m not having this issue on my laptop

16. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Are you running your samples off of a SSD drive?

17. clone

clone Audiosexual

You should not need an external SSD for this. It's always better but also more expensive than a mechanical drive, or a much smaller capacity for the same price. But you could have a slower hdd, a failing hdd, or have it connected using a slower usb type connection.

You can always round up the samples in your project, move them to your internal, and see if playback benefits from it. Keep in mind, when you are using a ton of little one-shot individual files; it can also perform worse. Kind of like how it can take FOREVER to extract a ton of little midi files from an archive. You can get around this by bouncing some tracks as stems and re-checking to see if you still have the problem.

It really does sound like a different problem than your external.

18. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

I agree with you on the price and the necessity of the SSD the only time I have issues is when I'm going through the browser scrolling down through my samples when things are loaded in the channel rack all things are fine.. I was on FL 20 one day before I installed FL 21 and 20's browser works as intended with the exact same location on my regular HD.. so that's why I'm a bit perplexed

19. clone

clone Audiosexual

Best Answer
    If you are using their "official" installers, it would be odd to see that much difference between versions; but not totally unheard of either. I can think of more than a few programs where the "latest and greatest version" have made them totally worthless to me where i never ran them again.

If you are using "other than official" versions, I would see if there are other releases and read other user comments about them. If it seems worth the trouble to upgrade, I would uninstall them both cleanly (w/revo if on pc), and then reinstall the one I actually wanted to use. I would also make sure I had the domains blocked in my hosts file, and firewall the application like normal. Methodically figure out which one you can use. If it just started doing this stuff, I would give more thought to the drive. But since the behavior began after an update, it's probably 100 to 1 odds that it is software related. Especially from some of these unknown releasers w/FL and them trying to improve protections.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. xo1

xo1 Newbie

I have two storages one SSD and one hdd they are connected inside my laptop using sata connector...

21. xo1

xo1 Newbie

THe samples are running from hdd drive and fl studio is intalled on ssd drive forgot to mention that

here is a video how it works on mine

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023