FL Studio 20 on Mac is getting me crazy

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by ShutKat, Feb 21, 2019.

1. ShutKat

ShutKat Newbie

Goodafternoon everyone, i’m a new member of audiosex forum but I make music since 2009. Since the beggining of my music production journey, I used FL Studio as my main DAW on my old computer (windows) without several problems.

After I while I bought MacBook Pro (mid 2012 i5 4gb ram) I decide to install boot camp to run FL Studio with some non important problems.

This year, I got notice that FL Studio 20 was released on Mac so I decide to improve my system with 16 gb ram, 500 gb ssd thinking to start to make music on Mac with the new FL.

And now the problems began. It’s almost IMPOSSIBLE to run more than 3 vst at the same time witouht CPU clicks, overloads and a lot of sound problems.

I don’t know what to, I did everything, I change everything about the buffer size, cpu overloads and I’m gettin crazy with this. I’m really thinking to switch to logic (sad face).

Can god help me please? Thank you for you time.

3. ShutKat

ShutKat Newbie

4. G String

G String Rock Star

I guess God doesn't care.

But I do. (Look at that? Little ole me, more concerned than God. That's quite something?)

Sadly, I don't know what you can do. Maybe try another DAW, even just to see what sort of relative performance you get out of it? If you get much better performance, maybe a good time to switch (from FL)? OTOH, if you see the same performance issues, then likely something else is at fault (ie the Mac, in some way).

5. statik

statik Audiosexual

i have a macbook pro also from 2012 i5 2,5 with ssd and 4gb and have no problem with it, i do know that 16gb is not officially supported for your macbook (since i have the same one) but i'm not sure if that is a problem, you might just wanna check your buffer settings in FL.

6. ShutKat

ShutKat Newbie

Thank you for your replies guys. Maybe I should switch from to FL to Logic or something different and yes, 16gb ram is not officially supported but yes, it’s unofficially and it’s works

7. Maxim Getman

Maxim Getman Producer

Man, the only thing it can be it's GPU temperature.
    Try Macs Fan Control to manage it :)

I got this problem previously /w click/stacks. But now I don't have it :)

Wish it would help you)

8. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

which vst's does that happen with all VSTs?

9. ShutKat

ShutKat Newbie

For example if I load Spire and a few emulators like Juno it began to click and overload everything making impossible to hear any sound.

10. ShutKat

ShutKat Newbie

Can you explain me more of this please?

11. G String

G String Rock Star

Whether it is GPU (graphics processor) or not, overheating is a definite possibility as the cause of your issues.

Clear out any venting, keep vents open, try to cool machine......see what happens?

12. vuuru_keg

vuuru_keg Platinum Record

it also depends on your plugins (if they behave badly and need fixed buffer sizes for example), and FL version, are you running the latest official new one? (20.1.2 build 207)
    old versions of FL, especially before 20.1 were not optimized so well, and they are still currently being updated and improved
    if you actually own FL Studio you can just contact them on their forum support and ask for help

other than that (and please dont get buthurt lol) i must say your machine is fairly dated.. and a 2012 i5 processor is not necessarily a good match for a high demanding, 60 FPS workflow DAW like FL Studio on an operating system that doesnt really like GPU efficiency if its not used by Metal processing lol

anyway, after you make sure your FL Studio is up to the latest release, try out these things:
    1) Help -> Diagnostics -> Disable Vsync --- then restart FL

2) open you project and then: Options -> Project general settings -> change Timebase (PPQ) to 24

3) Options -> Audio settings and enable:
    Multithreaded generator processing
    Multithreaded mixer processing
    Smart disable

for me, FL works really nice on a 2015 macbook pro 15" (and even a 2012 13" macbook pro i just dont expect much performance out of it)