FL Studio 12 Plugin Database Backup tool

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by r4e, May 31, 2015.

1. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

Hey, I've created a little tool using batch and Inno Setup for an automated backup
    of FL Studio's Plugin Database. The final product is an installer which works from
    Windows XP up to Windows 10 (tested) and overwrites the factory plugin database which
    gets created while installing FL Studio.

That means:
    You can backup and port your custom database to any newer version of FL Studio
    from FL8 up to the most recent version (currently FL Studio 12) with ease.

Here is a video overview:
    [​IMG]

The tool contains a script which detects your FL installation path based on a
    registry key that gets created while installing FL. If that key doesn't exist
    (it should exist on all machines where FL is properly installed), the process
    will be aborted. Then it copies the database folder into the script path,
    unhides all hidden files in it to work with the Inno Setup compiler and moves
    the files into separated folders which are defined in the Inno Setup script.
    After that process the installer will be compiled and you're done.
    If wanted, I additional will include options to add your custrom startup
    project and sound as you can see in the video and if I can be bothered,
    I'll update the script to also backup presets, samples and projects
    located in the FL Studio path.

The download will follow when I've finished the script completely.
    I also will do several versions for FL Studio 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12
    and my installer script has to be fixed a little bit more.

greetings, r4e

• Like Like x 8
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

I'm not a FL user anymore but great job mate :wink:

4. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

I love what you did here! You are truly a good man :) Please let us know if if and when you'll be sharing this program.

Also, you seem like you know your way around a coding editor. Can I run an idea past you to see if you would be interested in trying to write a script of some sort? I ran the idea by MELDAPRODUCTION and RESONIC (maker of resonic player), but they are reluctant to implement this option in an editor, or as a stand-alone utility.

Thanks for your hard work on THIS utility!

- BLUEROVER

5. This is a great tool to have which solves the fear factor of losing ones data and/or having to do some painstaking work to put everything back together the way it once was. You are a true hero and I for one am truly grateful. ThankZ for your concern and help with us using FLS and this community as a whole. AMAZING!!!

6. Menorah

Menorah Producer

Wow,great tool, thanks !! :mates:

7. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

bluerover
    I don't know exactly what you want. Integrate products from melda into this player or the ability to load vst effects like from meldaproduction?
    You could try running vst's as standalone using Image-Line's minihost modular. In that you select the same soundcard/driver you've selected in the player
    and there you have your music with effects but you need a good soundcard, otherwise you will have a doppler effect (like an echo) in your output sound.

btw. there is allready a player which supports loading of VST's with an external plugin.
    It's Winamp Pro with "VST host dsp" plugin - I'm using that since ages.

Here I loaded Image-Line Wave Candy with a custom Spectrum setting:
    [​IMG]

and here an Equalizer to increase the high frequencies a bit:
    [​IMG]

8. Zealious

Zealious Kapellmeister

Wow thanks, this will help with the projects i used to have under FL

9. Medrewb

Medrewb Platinum Record

A
    Are you done? Where can i download?

10. Zeus

Zeus Moderator

Dude.. for real.. I have my doubts that you read the OP before you post something...
    Just wait till r4e finish his testing/scripting

11. Medrewb

Medrewb Platinum Record

Sorry man..its been a bit long...so i thought i would have missed it or something...

12. guitarie

guitarie Kapellmeister

Hey r4e,

will this mean that you can backup also all installed vst like massive, serum or omnisphere 2 with regkey and presets? and that i don't have to install them separately anymore?

13. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

guitarie,
    nope, it will backup the plugin database only, not the plugins itself.
    For this you should learn how to create an installer using inno setup, wise, nsis,... what ever you like
    and you would have to monitor the plugin installations, study the installers in what they're doing exactly
    to finally reproduce each one and combine everything into one installer.

I did this for my freeware and old plugins and it took me about 5 hours
    to recreate about 15 installers and combine em into one using inno setup.
    I had the luck that most of these free plugs (ca. 120) were single dll files so I just had
    to copy em.
    Finally I got one installer that does it all with 4 clicks but the time and effort it needs
    is very much.

14. Spacely

Spacely Producer

As a FL user Thank you man

15. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Not a user of FL but I'm always lusting for it (just never take the time to learn it). It's such an awesome program with amazing plugins and synths. When you post the tool I will download it and keep it handy for that inevitable day when I grow bored and decide I want to supplement my Ableton use with FL.

Every time I see you post around here, you're doing something awesome for this community. Thanks.

16. TeonKan

TeonKan Noisemaker

Thank you so much for this.. great man

17. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

This is such a great idea I always have such a difficult time when it comes to this specific issue and always makes me a little hesitant to update. That being said the two things that are especially frustrating with updating especially after a clean wipe or rearranging samples folders is the FLP files not saving the samples associated with the particular project. It's incredibly frustrating when you have such a large sample library and you have to search through all of "snare 1" for example and try to remember and figure out which one was used. I know I should have made zips of my more serious project. I was young and dumb though. The other is always going from using one version of a vst to the next. Like what's the point of having realguitar2 if you have realguitar3 but the project was saved with 2. I mean I can copy and paste the dll and rename but it seems unnecessary. Either way great script this will come really and I'm really looking forward to using this particular tool so updating will be less stressful =)