FL 10 ..How2 to Punch record?

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by One Reason, Sep 17, 2011.

1. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Can't seem to find any information on punching in and out while recording audio in FL 10...

Any takers?

:dunno:

3. flyingsleeves

flyingsleeves Platinum Record

I'm not 100% sure about what you are asking, but as a DJ when you punch out you cut the audio off from the turntable that's currently playing (also called transform), and when you punch in you are cutting off the audio that's currently playing and replacing it with audio from the second turntable. I suggest watching the FL tutorial about "Recording In Live Mode." It teaches how to assign clips to certain keys on your MIDI controller. Since I've never used this function, I'm sure they can explain it better than I can.

4. obscure

obscure Newbie

What use do you normally have for this function>?

I am curious to know !

Can't you just save yourself the hassle and record a continuous track, then cut out what you don't need? I guess punching in/out would b faster.

(did I just answer my own question?)

5. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

Your answer lies with in the Edison Plug in.

You can set up a loop, and set it record. It can be set to record consecutive takes. You can easily audition the different takes, You pick the best take.

Or comp the track by picking only the best parts of of each take and combining them in to one fantastic track.

The Pros do it all the time, Especially with Vocals, They call it Comping, this way you can construct a Superior performance that is actually better than the singer can sing all at one time.

Edison is all set up to make comping easy. Very powerful system all recording and editing is done with ram. You can also use it for simple automated punch in and punch outs also.

The details are in the manual, search Edison. When you are done comping move the track into the Playlist.

When you master the process you will see how slick and powerful Edison can be, and also how difficult it would be to do in a multitrack environment by switching tracks and muting all the time!

Good luck.

6. Captain_Future

Captain_Future Newbie

I agree.

Edison is a powerful and versatile tool and its good to know how to use it.

My only gripe with it is that it doesnt provide the same functionality when used as a plugin in hosts other than FLS.

Particularly the lack of the auto-beat-synced markers sucks big time.

Wish they would make it so this works with other hosts too...

(I just cant get used to FLS and its various awkwardnesses, to me Studio One and its remarkable organizedness and super-simplified workflow is the only DAW which actually feels like an adequate interface between me and the computer.)

7. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

This is how its done in Ableton Live obscure.. I dont think its possible in FL 10 :snuffy:

8. Bump

Bump Kapellmeister

found these...not sure if u came across them??

Can also be done with Slicer apparently...

hope that helps..

9. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Thanks bunp, very helpful vids... unfortunately.. what seems to take forever in both of these long-winded methods, takes 3 clicks in Live.. and about 5 seconds.

So.. seeing We use punch recording.. almost constantly, until FL provides it.. as well as fully functional time stretching of all loops.. looks like I'm going to be looking for the best way to rewire FL to Live.... looks like a found my personal Achilles heel for FL 10 :snuffy:

More specifically, I wonder if there is a way to rewire the two together in such a way that I can use the Newtone Pitch control on audio recorded in Live, correct it, then bring it back into live..

Off to investigate ! :dancing: