fixing before mixing wip.

Discussion in 'Work in Process' started by clone, Dec 11, 2022.

1. clone

clone Audiosexual

hello,

As title implies, this track needs a final mix; and I'd like to hear some opinions while I can still fix anything. I'd appreciate any helpful comments. thanks. :)

3. Demloc

Demloc Platinum Record

It´s a cool wip, I just gonna drop comments on arrangement and sound desing.
    I would desing one or more basses for the roller bassline so It has more variation along the track. I would also give some places to breathe, where the roller/synth bassline totally dissapear and then return as something new. It´s a simple but suppereffective trick to keep the track dynamic, IMHO. Then you can do call and responses with all the basses if you please. Also I would add or subtract something every 8 bars (as a gross measure) or just simply would cut out clones to the previus 8 bars making the track shorter. Adding some kind of lead melody will also help a lot, but is a wip so maybe you have that in mind already.

That´s it, I hope it helps!

4. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

1) I would reduce or remove the disharmonic synth (with fixed interval) and the drone-y/howl-y synth in the back/Sides. They are both quite interfering/obtrusive.

2) I would work on variation and adding/omitting elements. Add complementary counter-part. Call and response. More movement, automation, evolution, progressiveness, engagement, etc. Now it's quite monotonous and samey and will bore most listeners. One important thing I learned in composition and songwriting at university and clinics was to never insult the intelligence of the listener, or they will be pissed off and change track/artist.

3) There's a lot of treble in the 5-10k area and less in the low-end. I would try to add more elements (composition AND mixing) to stuff the low-end and the low-mids, and reduce the highs. As in #2 you can also add variation in frequency response, and let things only live in the lows (or in the highs) for a while. You can make a whole passage filter towards the mid-range only, and then introduce the full spectrum.

4) It's also quite loud and lifeless (and has ISP/overs). Reducing the loudness might give it more room for variety and dynamic progression (see #2).

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. mino45

mino45 Kapellmeister

Hey, so first of all, I don't know at what stage in the mixing process you actually are. Final mix to me sounds like it is mostly done and there are only some finishing touches needed, then again if you are ready to change anything, that would rather be a beginning stage. Anyways regardless of what is the case I have some suggestions. I am no expert in your kind of music which means my advice could be completely wrong though.
    The BD is lacking punch in the lows, overall I think the low end is rather lost. Apart from that there is no real storytelling or progress. After the intro you basically start out on one level and that level is kept the same more or less until the end. There are some breaks but then again they are not really recognizable because there is too little change in level or emotion. Then again that could be intentional so.. At least for me there is too little change or interesting stuff happening overall, or better yet, it just gets lost. You could try and take some elements out during different parts of the track so it keeps the listener engaged. Maybe try to remove some (up to most) of the notes in the loops first so you have some change in pattern during the course of the track.

Hope that helps, if not, feel free to disregard anything I said

6. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

I agree with the other comments. It lacks structure, variation, build up. I'm just hearing this -very cool- rhythmic sound.
    But that alone doesn't make a track. You almost start with the climax, but it lasts till the end of the track.

7. reticular

reticular Kapellmeister

Snare/clap is not having freqs needed to glue, for my ears it is lacking in midrange. Bassline feels like it could have more midrange too because it is carying the rhythm.

You might benefit by stopping the drums, doing some effects, glitches, slowly pulling the LP filter, letting the growl talk a little, play some kick off the beat and go again. Also, what do i know, you do you.

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

This is all good, helpful stuff from everyone :) I will make a nice organized summary of the comments and try to attack those "bullet points" in one focused go. @mino45 your comments reflect where I am at with it. It's somewhere between tracking more and/or just mixing the stems differently. I'm also using as a chance to check out Project Alternatives more in Logic. Oh, the intro fake guitar is actually a fake 303. td3

9. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Ok, help out the old fart, what's a wip :rofl:

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

work in progress. "not done". "most of this hdd". depends on your perspective. :)

You know the 90/10 rule ? 90 percent of the work in the first 10 percent of the time. For me, this is right before the remaining 90% to get the last 10% improvement; give or take.