Fix microphone Playback delay on FL Studio? pls help

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by PRODDGUDEN, Jul 27, 2019.

1. PRODDGUDEN

PRODDGUDEN Newbie

Hi guys. I know that ASIO4ALL fix a lot of microphone problems on Windows but on MAC there is nothing else I can do than changing the buffer setting in FL Studio right?

I drives me crazy. I really would like to hear myself without hearing that 0,1 procent delay, which mess up the flow and everything.

How can I solve this? I'm a beginner but I'm in a studio most of the time. Using FL Studio 20. Is it somehow possible to totally eliminate that delay from the playback sound...

Truly appreciate all kinds of help!

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

1) What audio interface do you have?
    2) What latency do you have now (at what sample rate and buffer size)?
    3) Don't you have an option for Direct Monitoring?

Beginner with the name Proddguden? I like the humor.

4. PRODDGUDEN

PRODDGUDEN Newbie

Thank you for the reply first of all bro, truly appreciate it. Yeah the name is a meme haha :)

Well, I will have to check with the studio I go to since it was my first time going to an actual studio, budget-studio så att säga, since youre from Sweden :D

Mic is great so is the equipment but I don't have the actual info.
    I tried to use the lowest buffer length, like 3-4ms but that didn't help. I have no more info than that since my Mac is at the studio right now and I'll go back on monday unfortunately. Sample rate probably on 44k or something, standard have not touch it..

What settings do you recommend me to change? Direct monitoring is on, so the problem is when I use direct monitoring in FL Studio, thats where the delay occurs. It's a really small delay so to say. Maybe I can tweak the delay etc on the knobs on the interface next time?

If im not mistaken, at the far left bottom is where you turn on and off direct monitoring: https://i.gyazo.com/299bdb00109bb2508511e450a6a1fd2e.png

5. PRODDGUDEN

PRODDGUDEN Newbie

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I use RME audio interface as well. Use direct monitoring and don't put too much stuff on the vocal insert when recording (which causes latency). Also leave the master bus empty of plugins as well when recording.
    If you raise the samplerate to 96kHz you will half the latency delay, as well as reducing aliasing/foldover a lot. Ofc your CPU and disk will work a bit more, but I'm guessing you are not recording full bands/orchestra. :)
    http://www.ryanschwabe.com/blog/96k

Also play around with buffer settings to see if you can lower it and reduce latency even more.

7. ADiSH

ADiSH Ultrasonic

You need to use direct monitoring if you can (that means you listen to the audio directly from the interface and not through FL, that means you should be able to listen to the mic even if FL isnt even on)
    if you cant make sure you disable all effects and lower the buffer as much as you can

8. Tob

Tob Platinum Record

Well, do you use any latency adding effects (VST) while you record? Wireless Headphones or a mic? Because a latency of 3-4 ms should not be a problem at all.
    According to - Audio Engineering Society study “The Effects of Latency on Live Sound Monitoring”
    ~15ms-30ms - humans notice the latency of their voice.
    ~5-7 ms "Vocalists (trained singers) start to notice the latency."
    ~7ms "latency starts to mess with our ability to play or sing on top of or behind the beat."

In 1ms sound travels 34,3 cm. Which means 3,5 ms is like you hear yourself through a speaker that is 1,20m away.

Try direct monitoring if you are super sensitive, but I am pretty sure you add latency somewhere in your monitoring chain.

9. PRODDGUDEN

PRODDGUDEN Newbie

Thank you guys so much for the replies. I will definitely look into this more tomorrow when I go to the studio.

Me and my friend are 100% sure it was not placebo. The only thing we are using is autotune. Antares Autotune 7. Couldnt be that one.

Artists like Tory Lanez etc are using millions of effect while recording? Am I right? How does it work for him?

10. PRODDGUDEN

PRODDGUDEN Newbie

So you mean that on the actual interface, there should be a button for direct monitoring? Because the only "direct monitoring" I know is from the screenshot here: https://i.gyazo.com/299bdb00109bb2508511e450a6a1fd2e.png

And btw thanks a lot for your reply.

11. PRODDGUDEN

PRODDGUDEN Newbie

And btw, Baxter: Is it better to have higher samplerate then? :) I have 44k which I guess is standard.. So higher samplerate = less delay = more cpu? Maybe the crankling sound will appear then if my CPU gets too overkilled.

12. PRODDGUDEN

PRODDGUDEN Newbie

Can I have Autotune effect on while recording, and somehow turn on directmonitoring from the interface instead of in FL Studio? Like a button on the interface or something. Fireface UC..

13. ADiSH

ADiSH Ultrasonic

yes, its a part of the interface, when you go through FL (or any other DAW) theres always some latency (the amount depends on the interface and cpu).

what interface are you using? sometimes its a knob on the interface and sometimes its through the interface's software

i dont have auto tune so i dont know how much latency it got (you can see when you hover over a plugin in the info bar at the top) but you should also disable effects in other channels because the DAW adjust all channels to match the latency

14. PRODDGUDEN

PRODDGUDEN Newbie

Okay the interface is this one: https://www.thomann.de/pics/bdb/229395/10073420_800.jpg
    Fireface UC and I read that there was a software called Totalmix, maybe I can check direct monitoring there? Hopefully even on the actual "box" so to say.

15. ADiSH

ADiSH Ultrasonic

I dont have a RME interface but they definitely got direct monitoring, maybe look for tutorials on youtube
    but just to clarify, you wont hear autotune when using direct monitoring

If you have to have autotune on i suggest turning off all effects (in all channels) except the autotune channel and setting the buffer as low as possible, if you your playback doesnt sound right without effect maybe export first and add to the playlist

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  16. Tob

Tob Platinum Record

Direct monitoring in totalmix is simply turn up the fader of your mic input than rout it to your output. Just move the output slider you want. Done. Super easy.
    And turn off monitoring in your daw.

But the other way around should also work with 3.5 ms latency. Move the fader of your mic input completely down in total mix (no direct monitoring). Activate your daw monitoring.

17. PRODDGUDEN

PRODDGUDEN Newbie

Okay guys thank you so much. So my last question is, can I somehow still use autotune while recording and the direct monitoring won't have any delay?

A huge beginner, me and my friend just couldn't flow how we wanted since we first: wanted to hear ourselves in the headphones, two: just couldn't flow because of how delayed it was, not so much but you all get my point, that 0,1% messes you up..

18. Lovr

Lovr Newbie

Hello, I am having the exact problem your having with playback delay I was hoping you found a solution??? also I know its possible to have playback and hear the autotune in your headphones while recording. My friends setup works perfectly and Its amazing when you can hear yourself in realtime with effects on its addiciting. Me n my friend have the same mic, same software (FL obviously), and damn near same interface (his is the more expensive focusrite mines just the 2i2, his is the long ass one) but his setup worked perfectly when he plugged everything in and turned everything on. mine on the other hand has this playback delay making it impossible to flow. Hope this helps and I really hope u found a solution I've tried everything. recording raw no effects, upping my sample rate til my PC hot enough to spark my blizzy, messing with all the buffer lengths, the playback tacking, the offset bar IVE TRIED IT ALL PLZ