First time doing techno, what you guys think about it?

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by ricefields, Oct 3, 2016.

1. ricefields

ricefields Member

soundcloud.com/lastcontact/before-the-sun-rise-2dd/s-wHgqB

3. You need to turn the limiter down. There is bass in there somewhere, but you've squashed the signal so dramatically that you can't turn the play volume up loud enough to hear it, because the frequencies in the mids are so loud they prevent the bass from getting through at anything other than painful listening levels. You've also squashed the entire track almost to mono. Stop recording everything as loud as it can possibly be as well.

I suspect you may need much better studio monitoring, including a sub-bass driver. Nice underlying idea.

4. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

I think that's attributed to producing on headphones.

5. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

I don't think so. I am producing a lot with headphones (to not wake up my neighbours when working through the night) and I think I get it more linear than this.

6. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

The kick has no power. Overall, from a techno track you neeed a pants-shaker sub, a stomach + chest hitting kick. You lack the last two. The entire low end is just a continuous rumble - at first I thought is the intro. After 2 minutes in the track I realised that nothing more punchy is going to happen. And I don't know what label is your reference, but in techno there is a shit load of automation over all the elements to produce interest out of one-bar loop (if you disagree, just listen more closely your reference tracks). Yours is kinda static imo. Don't get me wrong it's an OK start, not the "label sign" start but in 10-15 tracks you're there.

PS: If you listen your track in smartphone speakers (be it techno) and you can't locate all your elements (bass, kick & so on), your mix is bad.