First song, Mastering A or B ?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by jharax8, Jun 4, 2017.

1. jharax8

jharax8 Noisemaker

Hi all,

I would like to get your help for choose the final version of the mastering of my first track " Insects "

Both of theses versions has been created by an audio engineer but I don't really know which sound the most professionnal ( At this moment I don't have any good audio system)

Mastering A : https://instaud.io/Zy6

Mastering B : https://instaud.io/Zy7

Thanks & have a good day :)

3. vingula

vingula Newbie

for me...Mastering B is better

4. elkarem

elkarem Newbie

Mastering B

5. jharax8

jharax8 Noisemaker

So Mastering B Ok thanks.

6. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

I loaded up both on my monitoring template. So to my ears and visually, they are 95% the same. Same dynamics (nicely done though, you got 8 RMS average with much more dynamic parts and some a bit more squashed, well balanced). Only EQ freeze is giving me something ( a bit ) different regarding high frequencies/low frequencies balance. Mastering B is a bit cleaner, with a tiny bit more of air. Might translate better. Hearing slight stereo difference (B a bit wider altough the whole track is pretty mono-oriented) but that's not what my stereo analyzers are telling me so not sure about this one.

I would go for mastering B but I think some more different processes would have been more relevant for a choice like this.

Values (for both) :

RMS average : -8.6
    RMS highest peak : -6.2
    DR average : -7
    DR highest : -14.5 (really nice dynamics in the intro)
    LuFS : -8.8 average
    PLR : -9 average (dynamics will translate well on all streaming services regarding this reading).

Did playback on HS-50Ms + Sub. So if you don't hear it, I can confirm low/subs are sounding okay!

Hope this was useful. Those master are well crafted imo, pretty subtle and on the dynamic side of the loudness war.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  7. jharax8

jharax8 Noisemaker

Thanks a lot for theses usefuls informations RedTresh :)

8. foster911

foster911 Guest

They're 99.99999999999999 % the same. A==B.

9. Bill Vkerchi?

Bill Vkerchi? Kapellmeister

Master B.

10. Pule

Pule Producer

Same, master B is better for me

11. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

No, they are not. B is louder, has more high end and the imaging is different.

12. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

I knew about the imaging! For some reason meter bridge or nugen analyzer dont show any difference visually. B is louder but is still much enjoyable from a dynamic point of view, so it's all good I guess.

13. TW

TW Guest

the one that goes to eleven.

i like b more but thats just subjective for no real big obvious reason.
    Probaly b is a bit louder.

14. foster911

foster911 Guest

For a listener in different environments with different players and speakers, who would care about those details. Also I think there's a volume knob and EQ on every system that can turn it up and down so paying scrupulous attention by the master guy is practically unreasonable.

15. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

As far as loudness goes, very few people are going to notice, it is 1/2 or dB or so to my ears and I had to listen hard.

I do prefer B, for listening in my environment. It has a better stereo image and the mid scoop in A is a bit lower, B is either has less effects on the side channel or a spatilizer thrown in, it is decently done.

(they are both scooped a bit too much to my tastes, but not so much that it is a bad thing)

(A) would translate better on large club systems. A is almost a mono sum and the transients are little cleaner, but it should get some small cuts between 3500cps and 8000cps. The samples were mp3 so talking about the high-end too much or going into deep details on stereo image is a moot point.

Sounds decent, good job. Though am sure the song is longer than the sample so loudness might become an issue with normalizing on certain playback and distribution channels.

16. Medrewb

Medrewb Platinum Record

Make A a bit louder and it will become B :bleh:

17. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

That's not how mixing/mastering (eq balance actually) works...

18. foster911

foster911 Guest

Mixing and mastering work fine when you'd deal with just a small number of simple sounds and almost your intention is making dance or similar music and also would like your audience to focus on individual pitches or timbre. I made this twisted sound and want you to master it when you don't know what the role of every sound is and which sound or frequency should be louder than the others:

https://clyp.it/fhq4r3ut

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2017
  19. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

Well I can't disagree with that but it doesn't make your previous statement true... Even for simple sounds and simple dance-able music, details matters. I agree with you on this but not your first statement :wink:

20. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Not 99,999999 % the same. The OP cares! He asked for it!