First collaboration - lend my voice

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Polymetrix, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Polymetrix

Polymetrix Platinum Record

So I just had the original mp3 to sing over and then mix it...so the vocals don't really sit in the mix but still

Any tricks up your sleeves for mixing new vocals into already finished tracks (no access to more than the final mp3)?

3. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

u could try putting ur vocals thru an 8-bit bitcrusher, so it sounds like the "original" :P

Nah, honestly it (original guitar esp) sounds so incredibly filtered & squashed, it's barely recognisable as having data. Have u tried putting it thru Melodyne & extracting the (backing etcs) vocals, if possible? Prolly the only bit worth salvaging, if u can't get the original stems? Just kinda remix the rest, it'll sound loads better, if ur past (steadily improving & evolving) work is anything to go by! If in doubt just fill patterns w/ kick drums @ random :D

OMG that crash *shakes head slowly*. Sounds like someone opening beer bottle. I'm not sure if that was intentional, tho.

4. Polymetrix

Polymetrix Platinum Record

When I asked this guy for a collab I thought I'd record my vocals, send him the stems and he'll mix it - especially after he sent me just the mp3 of the original track. Only after I finished recording my tracks it became clear that he thought I'll mix everything - especially since he got no monitors atm.

I actually had a version where I crushed the vox as much as the bg but they just stood out even more as they weren't crushed alongside the track so pumping in a different way and rhythm.

I tried using a verb for both to somewhat create a room for both audio sources to be in but that didn't work well either.

It kind of reminds me of my first attempts of mixing and making it loud. Can't blame him for his first mixes though, we're all learning. Just the way this whole thing played out stood between "that sounds like a song" and "oh someone made a vocal cover of an instrumental track"...so to say.

Thanks for the compliment about my mixes btw... :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  5. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Yeah, you always come up w/ interesting stuff, have good details & serve songs well; even if it's not remotely in my field. I hope the guy sends u the orig stems, at least. Pretty simple song, but a pain to spend time doing that kinda busywork (re-record) not rly worth it for what u will gain, tbh. Guess Melodyne didn't do much of a great job? It ususally doesn't!