First and last Universal Audio plugin

Discussion in 'Software Reviews and Tutorials' started by traorba, Sep 28, 2023.

1. traorba

traorba Noisemaker

I have Purchased several plugins thru Plugin Boutique. Yesterday I bought The Universal Audio Studer A800 Tape Recorder plugin. I used an older MacbookPro with Catalina to try to install it on. Their download and install process is horrific. I followed Their instructions and ran their plugin utility. The UA utility said it had installed the Studer plugin but it was nowhere to be found. The second(+) time(s) I ran Their installer I get a error message. I deleted their UA app. Their app also installs their ilok license into me ilok account AND activates a UA Studer license on my ilok (2 license activations per purchase. I looked For the Studer plug-ins on the drive and found nothing. Until they have an off line installer, I say No thanks to any more UA plugin purchases. I’ve installed lots of plugins and this was the worst install experience ever. The Focusrite Fast bundle purchase (and quick refund) was almost as bad. Are there individual off-line installation options for UA plugins? Thanks!’

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

I had a similar experience and ended up with a Motu 828ES MK2 as the final result.

But in terms of their plugins, when I first connected the device, installed their software, and it finally worked; all of the UAD plugins were already downloaded (kind of) into their UAD software. It may have been part of a promotion or something. but their software showed every plugin already located locally and all you had to do was simply click a checkbox so you can open the plugin and they can take your money. Maybe it was the iLok manager software, actually.

It gave me the feeling that they were all loaded on in hope that it might assist people in shopping fast in case of a potential impulse buy. I may have still been on Mojave at the time, or maybe it was Catalina; but their software installer really sucked. And if it failed during installation, you had to get a cleanup tool made just for Macs from their website.

You should try calling tech support there someday. It's quite an operation they have there.

4. tchouangtseu

tchouangtseu Kapellmeister

Bought the Studer as you did this week. Installed it via their bloody UA Connect app, and at first it didn't let me install the product, but after a reboot all went fine and the plugin works nicely... I'm on a windows 10 machine here. Shame they don't provide offline installers tho, as my main pc is a Windows 7 one and their app requires a Windows 10 to be installed on